Why the 7mm Rem Mag?

The outfitter I go with in Colorado dislikes the 7mm-to many wounded elk prefers to see guys with a 300wm all day long.

This has got to be one of the dumber things I've ever heard!

There is so little difference between them you'd be hard pressed to see any difference on game out of similar cases.

The worst shooting mistakes seems to be inexperienced shooters of large capacity cases. Many of these people flinch with each shot. Going from .284 to .308 isn't going to fix anything.

IMHO it all boils down to the right decision for the person purchasing the rifle. This is not really a debate on the effectiveness of the caliber unless we are talking about dangerous game. The 7mm rem mag has proven itself in countless hunting and long range shooting situations for decades. I simply gravitate to the 7mm rm because I am attempting to simplify my hunting and shooting hobbies. Trying to chase the hottest cartridge that is trending and accumulating more guns than I can fit in my gun safe is something that I have moved away from in recent years. I recently sold two rifles that sat in the back of the safe and purchase one that filled a gap in my what I thought I needed. Ended up letting the old Browning BAR in 7mm Rm go along with an old Savage 30 06. Bought a Bergara HMR in 7mm RM. I had too many 7mm RM components to change calibers. It's a heavy rifle that seems to be able exceed my shooting ability. Recoil has never been an issue for me except for the 416 un-braked monster. i no longer have that one either.

I realize it's not for everyone due to weight and noise, but I have a heavy profile bbl and a muzzle brake on my 7 RM and it recoils like a .270. Just my 2 cents.

Guy's, I just mean this in a funny way , because both are really excellent calibers, BUT this reminds me of reading Jack O Conner in the late 1960's and early 70's when he was loading his .270 Win Rifle and pushing 130 grain bullets to above 3200 fps, and implied 'Why do you need a 7 Rem Mag?? I say "Need has nothing to do with getting a New Rifle in a Caliber that interests you." Its Exciting and Fun and gives you, the owner ,a Chance and a choice to try a Rifle in a new caliber, with new hand loads , on game !!! Isn't that just us??? Look, I'm a huge 270 fan, and also own 2 30-06 rifles, and a 300 Weatherby Mag, BUT I would love to own a High Grade Single Shot rifle chambered in the old 300H and H. ......Do I need that , "NO" do I want that " Yes, Please !!!!!!!"
Perfect answer. I've been enjoying the long range hunting forum for a couple years. Reloading for over 40. Enjoy all those calibers. Each one has a preferences for distance and game. Teach everyone all you can and don't knock any of them. Keep the tradition going.

That's what happens when outfitters let money be their guide.
I have to agree with 59FLH. Either the 7MM or 300 win are more than adequate for Elk, but then again so is the .270 and 30-06. Said outfitter should make sure that their client can at least hold up and shoot a rifle without cringing at the recoil and not have clients take shots at ranges beyond their ability to hit the target in a fatal shot probably is iffy. I've been out helping on sighting in days and watched a lot of hunters set up refrigerator boxes at 50 yards, shoot 20 rounds and never hit the box. While that scares me since one never really knows where those bullets are really going. Based upon conversations overheard the chances of the rifles even being taken out of the case during the hunting season is not going to happen. Thus hopefully all of us will be safe.

I guided elk hunts for about 20 years in SW Colorado. I'd rather se someone show up with a .270 that could shoot than a guy that has the latest fire belching mag that was afraid of it. The difference between DRT or a wounded elk was marksmanship! The 7 RM is a killer in the right hands.

Guy's, I just mean this in a funny way , because both are really excellent calibers, BUT this reminds me of reading Jack O Conner in the late 1960's and early 70's when he was loading his .270 Win Rifle and pushing 130 grain bullets to above 3200 fps, and implied 'Why do you need a 7 Rem Mag?? I say "Need has nothing to do with getting a New Rifle in a Caliber that interests you." Its Exciting and Fun and gives you, the owner ,a Chance and a choice to try a Rifle in a new caliber, with new hand loads , on game !!! Isn't that just us??? Look, I'm a huge 270 fan, and also own 2 30-06 rifles, and a 300 Weatherby Mag, BUT I would love to own a High Grade Single Shot rifle chambered in the old 300H and H. ......Do I need that , "NO" do I want that " Yes, Please !!!!!!!"
Further proof of the adage "The heart wants what the heart wants."

So TODAY, At the range I helped a stranger sight in one of two incredibly beautiful and super expensive rifles. One was a custom Bolt Rifle, with a quarter rib and a Zeiss scope chambered in 416 Rem Mag ( I think he said ) , and the other was an Anson and Deeley ( spellimg ) double rifle , with the finest wood and most intricate coin engraving, chambered in 500 Nitro Express. I almost said ," what the hell are you going to do with that ???".......... and then I remembered this very conversation. He was just so happy to be shooting the $20,000.00 double rifle as I spotted for him as he adjusted the red dot sight mounted by Griffin and Howe. He handed it to me, and I congratulated him on the two extremely fine rifles. His sense of pride was just incredible, and I would never ruin that by saying "you don't need anything like that. " His goal is to hunt Africa after Covid, in a classic style safari, with two elegant rifles. The closest I will ever get to that is the Safari Park Ride at Disney Magic Kingdom. I hope his dream comes true, with what ever the hell caliber he hunts with .

Africa doesn't have to be a dream. I've been 16 times, and there's nothing quite like it. Everything is different and intriguing; the terrain, the game, the people, everything. You can do a Plains Game hunt in South Africa or Namibia for $5K or so; maybe use points for the flight? It will spoil you for hunting elsewhere.