Why the 7mm Rem Mag?

Second day of antelope season in NV this year we glassed a buck at 550 yards. I had not prepared myself for a 500+ yard shot with my Creedmoor, so I used the guide's 7 mm Rem Mag with Sig Sauer 162 gr bullets. Long story short, that did the trick. Now I have to go sight my Creedmoor for 500+ yard shots.

BTW, I have my own 7 mm Rem Mag built on a Santa Barbara action. Nice rifle, and I've taken a fair amount of African plains game with it, but in recent years when I get it out I just don't enjoy the recoil, so I had left it home. That was a mistake. Fortunately my guide had a loaner with a muzzle brake, and the recoil was not an issue.
While I am not all that sensitive to recoil I have to admit that the recoil from a 7MM or 300 WIN mag is more than I care to handle on a regular basis. Many years ago had a 300 win mag that kicked like a mule and never did despite my efforts get close to 1 MOA. Sold it and didn't play with mags again until lately. Bought a Browning 300 Win Mag and the first thing I did before firing the first round was to send it off to have a muzzle brake installed. The recoil is now about the same as my .308's and pleasant to shoot. It's amazing how much a muzzle brake reduces recoil.

On the serious side, when we were young (70's/80's), Dad started us out on .270's, .308, and 30-06. The .308 and a young kid with buck fever, and not great shot placement...I wounded a buck or two. We all switched to 7mm magnums...problems solved (with proper placement). Now that being said, one of the guys that works for my boss is an elk guide in WY. He takes a .243 out at the end of each season and takes full sized elk @ 150 yards or so. It's a beat up old savage that isn't bedded, and has a crappy old Tasco AO scope on it. I look at my fully kitted out .33 Nosler with the latest and greatest, and kinda shake my head at myself. But...I still love big boomers, and own too many of them...7mm Mag included.

When there exists the 300 WM? Just curious. Might need a nudge
You have a ballistic calculator most likely. Determine how much energy you need at your max distance. Build accordingly. I did a 7mag for my 1st remage. A 8T. So am shooting a 180 vld-h at 2917 fps. Plenty of energy to 1000 yards at attitude for elk. Why add extra recoil?
But I am building a 33 Nosler for hunts in brown bear areas. Will shoot a TTSX or LRX. And will do another prefit with a OMR CF barrel. But only 20-22".

If I could only have 2 rifles of different calibers they would be a 7mm RM and a 338 Lapua.
I could almost second that. I may prefer the 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC to the 7mag.
The more you shoot, the more recoil sensitive you get. I had an old friend who killed a bull elk and a big whitetail buck every year and his two guns were a .303 Savage 99 and a .270 Win. Mod 70. He'd ask me to check his zero for him, because he felt doing so himself might spoil his shooting. He told me, "People who don't know how to hunt have to know how to shoot."
That's why I have a love hate relationship with brakes.

WOW!!! I am curious to know what 6.5 ammo can reach out and get 1500 ft lb of energy at 600 yards. The best I can find anywhere runs a little over 1000 ft lbs at 500 yards. I actually would like to buy or duplicate that ammo. Can you fill me in on what you are using? Thanks.
2021-10-05T16-38-48.png
This is my Eldx load,
143 ELDX
Peterson LRP brass CCI 200 primers
42.0g of IMR 4451
OAL 2.875"
Velocity 2820

I have shot up to 42.7g but settled with 42.0 because of the SD of 8-10

26" shillen ratchet rifling barrel PVD coated C6 Standard shillen chamber (no funny stuff)

Second picture is the 147eldm (not a hunting bullet but has been tested by many folks to be excellent for deer, antelope size game)

147eldm
Same Peterson brass CCI 200 primers
41.0g of h4350
CBTO 2.200"
SD 5.98
Velocity= 2770

Attachments

• 2021-08-30T17-12-19.png
    2021-08-30T17-12-19.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 82
7 Mag is a great killer IMO/IME it's one of those cartridges that seems to kill beyond what the paper says. It's only short coming IMO is the chamber limiting the the bullet sizes. Primarily modern long heavy for caliber bullets.
A 28 Nos is a great modern 7mag and everything the 7Mag wanted to be.
My only advice is avoid the pencil barrels with these fast rounds. A waste of steel IMO, get a bigger contour barrel and you will be very happy for a long time. Hunting and some long range steel work.
As I have said before, I used to be a huge 7RM fan; owned more rifles and rebarrels in that caliber than any other, but moved away from it when the 300 RUM came out (might as well add I shot most of my game except for whitetail deer with a .338 WM, which I still love). Since then have been shooting RUMs, Edges, Lapuas, and a few years ago tried the 28N, which as you imply, is simply phenomenal - both in terms of heavy bullets at higher velocity and better accuracy. My opinion of the 7RM should be taken in the context that both my 28s (building a third one now) are pure custom while my 7RMs are 700 actions with custom stocks/bbl/triggers but also some stock factory rifles (always bedded, sometimes restocked with after market stocks and then bedded), as well as the fact when I started shooting 7RMs in the mid 70s as a high school kid, H4831/870 were about the slowest available. Have not tried more recent powders, as I no longer own a 7RM (my last one was rechambered in 7STW, but the twist is too slow for heavy bullets). But when I had one, I killed stuff from Alaska (12 caribou, four Dall sheep) to Africa to Mongolia with it. Never lacked what it was called to do. Killed my farthest pre-laser RF antelope with one at an estimated/paced off 455 yards (used a modified coincidence rangefinder in conjunction with a custom stadia reticle from Premier. That was a long shot back in the day...

Guy's, I just mean this in a funny way , because both are really excellent calibers, BUT this reminds me of reading Jack O Conner in the late 1960's and early 70's when he was loading his .270 Win Rifle and pushing 130 grain bullets to above 3200 fps, and implied 'Why do you need a 7 Rem Mag?? I say "Need has nothing to do with getting a New Rifle in a Caliber that interests you." Its Exciting and Fun and gives you, the owner ,a Chance and a choice to try a Rifle in a new caliber, with new hand loads , on game !!! Isn't that just us??? Look, I'm a huge 270 fan, and also own 2 30-06 rifles, and a 300 Weatherby Mag, BUT I would love to own a High Grade Single Shot rifle chambered in the old 300H and H. ......Do I need that , "NO" do I want that " Yes, Please !!!!!!!"
I totally agree, I could probably do most of my hunting with an 06 with the variety of 30 cal bullets available. However I enjoy trying different calibers.