Why the 7mm Rem Mag?

When there exists the 300 WM? Just curious. Might need a nudge
Why ask why ??? Just get one or both and decide which you prefer. The 7mm mag was superior for LR shooting before the heavier 308 bullets arrived. Today even with the heavies in the 300WM, the 7mm mag with the 195s will hold their own until big wind Is present then the 300 mag rules with the bigger 230+ weight bullets. Recoil isn't alot different when running heavy bullets in both cartridges. Not enough to make a guy jump over to the 7mm mag due to that issue. Brakes are made to be the tie breaker anyway

Why do any other cartridges exist when there is the .50 BMG?
Best question is what do YOU like?
I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as over kill when deciding on what cartridge to hunt with. On the other hand, I do believe there's such thing as over kill for the shooter behind the rifle. The 50BMG is above that line for me personally for a hunting rig.

We are talking 2 ICONIC cartridges here. Both fantastic and properly loaded can do pretty much anything we could ever want.

Me, i was never a 30 cal guy and never will be. My first Magnum was a 7mm RM and never looked back. But i do have 1 30 cal but i inherited from my Brother unfortunately a Rem BDL 3006.

But i would never buy to own a 30 cal i just dont desire one in the least. So on the other side i completely understand role reversal. 30 cal guys not needing or wanting a 7mm. Both shoot great boolets and can do so way out there. Both great killers of game. Millions and millions of gut piles were out there due to these guys.

Pick your flavor

But for me. LONG LIVE THE GREAT 7MM's

We are talking 2 ICONIC cartridges here. Both fantastic and properly loaded can do pretty much anything we could ever want.

Me, i was never a 30 cal guy and never will be. My first Magnum was a 7mm RM and never looked back. But i do have 1 30 cal but i inherited from my Brother unfortunately a Rem BDL 3006.

But i would never buy to own a 30 cal i just dont desire one in the least. So on the other side i completely understand role reversal. 30 cal guys not needing or wanting a 7mm. Both shoot great boolets and can do so way out there. Both great killers of game. Millions and millions of gut piles were out there due to these guys.

Pick your flavor

I have and have shot all of the mention in this thread a 280 ai hand loaded too it's potential is right there with a 7 rem mag 280 ai for me it's not the case that makes the 7 mm it's the wide range of bullet weights that being said if what ever I'm hunting a 6.5 cal can kill it that's what I will most likely be shooting

Had a 7 RM,was pushing it to its limits on long shots,gave it up about 40 elk ago.Went straight to 340wby,and 338NM.

Pick your flavor

How do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it? I'd roll a 7 mag if the gun had all the features I liked and I could get components on the same basis as others these days. (Thank God for the classifieds on this forum)

There are 30 cal fans, 7mm, fans and 6.5 fans. Just get what you want. There are more fans of different calibers im sure. I have all 3 and more of those calibers. People will say a 6.5 cal is not a hunting cal, yet a 6.5 cal is the most commonly used caliber for hunting in Colorado according to Parks and Wildlife. It doesn't say if it's a 264 WM, 260 Rem, 6.5 CM or 6.5x47 Lapua. It just says 6.5 cal. I've used my 260 Rem for elk just shy of 1000 yards. I have meet in the freezer still. So if a 6.5 cal can take a 800 lb elk at 1000 yards then the the real question is why a 7MM RM or 300 WM needed for elk at 300 yards? I bought my 300 WM and 7MM RM because I just wanted to say I have one. I shot my 300 WM a few times, now it just sits in the closet. I take my 7 Mag for backup. I've just never had to use it. I still shoot it here and there so my reloads don't get old. Sound like a good excuse to me. Get what you want and be happy with it. Don't put someone down because they don't agree with this caliber or that caliber is better for X animal. Shot placement trumps caliber choose any day. Happy hunting everyone.

Recent Posts