Why the 7mm Rem Mag?

On Everything up through large deer, out to 500 yards, I'd choose the 7mm RemMag every time! BUT, on large bears, moose, caribou, and maybe Elk, especially at longer range, I'd choose the 300 WinMag! I'd never choose 20% more recoil, higher costs, more weight, etc. unless truly needed!

Here's my last post on this tread. If I'm going to shoot a bullet less than 200gr then it's going be a 7mm 195, 190 or 180.... Instead of a 30 cal in those bullet weights. If in need heavier bullets it's going to be a 215 to 230gr 30 cal. But for my hunting, a 180gr will take just about anything that I'm going to come across.

I went with the 7 rm because……many years ago my cousin needed money so I bought it……plain n simple n ever since my brother n I have had this conversation cause he is a 30 cal fellow but he is now bragging about his 6.5 prc but in my observation is that they all do the job IF the nut pulling the trigger does his job 😱

Wrong. Depends on the gun. I have a Savage 110 HC 300 WM. Butt pad, weight, and muzzle break makes it feel like a 175gr 308. My buddy's 7mm Rem Mag Weatherby without those rattled my teeth.
Well there's your answer….you have a muzzle BRAKE on it so it's not a fair test. Stick a muzzle brake on a 7mm and it'll feel like a .223

if 7mm was inferior to 300 win, why do you think the gent at gunwerks and best of the west who make a specialty out of long range hunting, and rifles for lr hunting, opted for 7mm rem almost exclusively for a long time. ballistic advantage, all things considered, i believe goes slightly to 7mm and 6.5 callibers in fast twist, long for cal bullets. but i am kind of splitting hairs here. ibeen to africa 23 times. , hunted canada and us for 50 years. usingmany rifles in lots of calibers. used to believe i needed bigger, faster. now i still have them all. from 22"s to 577 t rex and 700 ahr. i believe a good , deep penetration bullet, like barnes , or hammers ,or partition, in a rifle that shoots them accurately and in an adequate caliber will do all that is needed. dead is dead. case in point, in africa my ph scoffed at my daughters kimber in 260 rem for larger tough,plains game. after she put a 130 barnes tsx through both shoulders, lungs and heart of a 750 lb, zebra stallion he went 30 yds, they didnt question it. she also too red hartebeast, and a 52 in kudu full. both one shot kills. neither went 20 yds. use a good bullet, shoot alot, build accurate loads, put then kill zone, and you will be successful. have fun, own lots of guns if you wish. there is more than one way to skin a cat
The dental business must make good money if you've been to Africa 23 times!

Magnum Mania! The 7mm Rem Mag was introduced as a cartridge that shot flatter, was more versatile, and had more energy than the boring .30-06. And it didn't have a lot more recoil. People could shoot a MAGNUM and impress their friends. For many, the .300 Win Mag was just too much.
Gotta wonder why the 7mm Mag when we already had the 7mm Weatherby?

I personally prefer the 300 H&H. If you want a sweet shooting 7mm, get a Mauser and roll your own. Amazing how well that old girl performs.
Now your talking first was the 300 Holland and Holland then the 308 Norma Mag the 30-338 win wild cat the 300 wby and Winchester came out with the short necked 300 so it would work in a standard length action and mag box and Rem has their 7 mag 300 magnums been around for a long time and have proven the test of time

Recent Posts