Why the 7mm Rem Mag?

You laid it out perfectly & completely. Well done sir.
I got a Browning A-Bolt ll in 7mm Rem mag. With the BOSS brake. Absolute tack driver. The only issue is - using the right bullet for what you are shooting. IMHO The 7mm mag took the versatility & effective range that the wonderfully famous 30.06 has & took every aspect into the next level. It will take varmints & small critters - groundhogs with the lightest bullets & it will handle any large game at extended ranges very well. I always loved the fact that my 100yd zero was still on point at 300yds. I'm a huge fan of the .30 cal, but that 7mm is as versatile & utilitarian as any gun ever made. I got a 300 WM IN ANOTHER a-Bolt & found out very fast that it was so far beyond " overkill " for anything I was ably to do, expensive to shoot too. I sold it inside a yr. When I started learning the ballistics aspects of the two, the 7mm won out there too for me.
I felt the same way about my seven mag. Gave it to my only child; otherwise, I'd still hunt it now. Very hard to beat (IMHO) in the one-gun-does-it-all department.

The entire European continent would argue that what you say is hogwash.
Especially the Scandinavians, they have been using 6.5's, successfully mind you, for eons. The 6.5x55 Swede is one of the most popular cartridges for Moose, Reindeer and other large bodied animals.
The old adage still rings true "it doesn't matter WHAT you hit'em with, it's WHERE you hit 'em!".

Cheers.
You're right about the Europeans & the 6.5's. I'm 1/2 German & have a brother living in northern Germany. My father had an old old 6.5x55 Krag that my youngest brother & i both loved & wanted. He hunts primarily with a 30.06 but that Krag would have been perfect for him.

I felt the same way about my seven mag. Gave it to my only child; otherwise, I'd still hunt it now. Very hard to beat (IMHO) in the one-gun-does-it-all department.
Yessir. Myself & my 2 brothers only wish we had a dad like you. We got a father we never liked or wanted. Nothing is getting passed down from him or our grandparents & all the guns, shooting,hunting stuff has been sold or given to their church friends.

The entire European continent would argue that what you say is hogwash.
Especially the Scandinavians, they have been using 6.5's, successfully mind you, for eons. The 6.5x55 Swede is one of the most popular cartridges for Moose, Reindeer and other large bodied animals.
The old adage still rings true "it doesn't matter WHAT you hit'em with, it's WHERE you hit 'em!".

Cheers.
and a good bullet!!!!!

Does it ever end. LoL!!! Both are good, get what you want. I have both. My 300 WM sets in the gun safe because I've never needed it. I take everything with my 260 Remington. I use my 7 Mag for back up. I hunt with it here and there. Just never needed it. I hunt Deer, hog, Elk, Yots, moose, everything with my 260 Rem. 7mag and 300 WM people will prob argue till they are blue in the face trying to prove one is better than the other. Just get what you want and enjoy your hunt.

Might not be around in 10-15yrs.
There are a lot of things not around now but people still shoot them. Most people that buy stuff like that stock up on brass. I have a 243 WSSM that I bought in 2013 and I bought as much brass as I could find for it. I still have at least 500 pieces of virgin brass brass for it. I know I'm stocking up on as much 28 Nosler brass as I can find, in the case that for some reason it does become hard to find I'll still be shooting one.