Why the 7mm Rem Mag?

Yes, I've had several. If you can't get them down to 1/2" or below, it's probably not the rifle.

Many years ago when I was going to buy my first big game hunting rifle, I poured through all the performance numbers and chose the 7mm Rem Mag. With factory ammo at the time it simply was faster and flatter, better wind drift. Now a days with all the newer Bullets and faster twist barrels the combinations are almost endless and if one were to compare them all we would find winners out of both. Now, with newer the cartridges that are out that are beltless, I believe there are better choices for both of those. But If I had to choose again between the two I would still pick the 7 Mag.

My life's work has been to promote 7mm over 30 cal.

5 minutes on a ballistic program will tell you everything you need to know.
I'd probably already have a 7mm something. Only problem is someone gave me 300 WM brass that's been sitting for twenty years to load up. Plus I have a 308 Win and a 30-06 so a 300 WM fits. I do agree with you though about the ballistics of a 7mm, it's very impressive.

I believe a 7 mag was developed to give 30-06 recoil in a magnum cartridge. I personally possess about every caliber in lots of different chamberings, from 22 to 50 bmg. Several 7mm chamberings and many 30 cal choices. My very 2 favorite guns for hunting deer are 220 swift and 300 win mag. Why? I have no idea, it makes no sense but that's just my go to rifles. I've been invited to a elk hunt for next year and I plan to bring my 300 PRC and 338 RUM. Why? Again just because they were the 2 guns I decided to bring. No real reason. I realize money can make decisions but if you are torn between 2 calibers, buy both!