Why the 7mm Rem Mag?

My point is the 7mag and 300wm are both more than enough for all North American game. We already had the 7mag so what was the point of the 300?
That's a rhetorical question as you are dragging me down to your level now.
Nobody is holding a gun to your head to keep posting, but the question was, when the 300 mag exists, why choose the 7mm mag. You keep wanting to rabbit trail off and go back in time when the 300 didn't exist.

I have neither but those two cartridges have been the focus of my next rifle purchase. As is the 280 Rem and longer barreled 30-06. The big reason to pick a 7mm is the bullet selection. With the 180 ELDM in the list the selection of high BC bullets makes the trajectory hard to beat. But the 300 WM seems to but elk down with more authority. So IMO that is what it boils down to. Both are fine. Which makes the picking ever so much harder to do.

I have a 300 win mag, 300 PRC but my preference if I were to choose one it would be my 7Saum. It just shoots a larger selection of powders and bullet combinations really well. Very mild recoil with excellent muzzle velocity. With bullet selections up to 190ish range, it may be my favorite do all cartridge. Brass maybe a pain in the *** to come by but what isn't these days.

Bfd, i flip the coin and ask why would you choose the 300 over the 7?

Flater trajectory? Why not bump to the 6.5-300 weatherby? Most energy and flattest trajectory- why not the 30-378 Weatherby? What about the nosler cartridges? Or the new rpm's? Stw? Rum? More readily available? How about the 30-06? There is always something newer and better- or is there?

I know you are playing devils advocate, but it would be more fun if you had some real reasoning and input of your own rather than to just bat down flies.

Kids often ask their mother "why"-- lots of mothers say "cause I said so" , at least mothers deserve respect ;-)

Better question is "why not".... it's one of the 2 almost perfect, 'if you could only have one' cartridges...along with the .300WM. They both have stood the test of TIME without question and when you can't find components for both everything else will already be long extinct. With proper bullets, always the critical choice, it will handle anything walking on North America ... personally been shooting one since the late 60's and it has never let me down under any condition..great cartridge!

I cannot say what my thoughts are on the 7RM, will NEVER own or shoot one….I owned a rifle chambered for it, it gave me sick feelings in the stomach, so I pulled the barrel and ran a 7STW reamer in there so the sick feeling went away…
I own several 300's, WM (5), RUM and Weatherby.
The difference between the BC between a 284 cal and 308 cal ie neither here nor there, and the bandwagon riders will holler that apples against oranges the 7 shoots flatter, bucks the wind better, blah, blah, blah….Guess what, a 30 cal expands to a bigger diameter and hits noticeably harder than a 7.
The 264WM trumps them all if you wanna argue who came first. Les Bowmen took the 264WM case and necked it up to 284 and invented the 7RM, which Remington weren't interested in it at first, then a famous gun writer got involved and low and behold, we got the gayest cartridge ever, with exception to the 6.5 Needmoor.

Cheers.😇

When there exists the 300 WM? Just curious. Might need a nudge
So your looking for a reason to own a 7 Mag over a 300 Win mag, as in, your going to purchase a rifle and want the 7 but can't justify it in your own mind? The title and initial post looks like a Winsor Coke philosophy question. The honest reason for the 7 Rem Mag and the 300 Win Mag is that Remington and Winchester had to do something to keep up with a rising Roy Weatherby.

I have experience with both cartridges. I love the 7mm Rem Mag. I think it's one of the best all around big game cartridges in existence. It's mild recoiling with 140-168gr bullets, and is still manageable with the heavier 175+ grain bullets. It's a great balance between recoil, bullet weights, energy on target, with a lot of supplies, ammo, components, and data available for it. The .300 Win Mag is a great cartridge as well. I just feel the 7mmRM is more versatile and will be more comfortable for most shooters.

So your looking for a reason to own a 7 Mag over a 300 Win mag, as in, your going to purchase a rifle and want the 7 but can't justify it in your own mind? The title and initial post looks like a Winsor Coke philosophy question. The honest reason for the 7 Rem Mag and the 300 Win Mag is that Remington and Winchester had to do something to keep up with a rising Roy Weatherby.
Yes, I wouldn't want to pass up on a sweet gun just because it was chambered in 7mm Rem Mag.

Recent Posts