Why suppressors?

RevJim

I see guys using these and wondering what they are good for? Do they save your hearing, is that it? I can understand the "silencer" affect of subsonic loads, but haven't seen the connection with high velocity loads? Plus, for decades, barrel length has been fought over, yet, here are these long suppressors? Help a country-boy Preacher understand? :)

They make a big difference in noise, even on supersonic loads. As far as the added length, that's a personal preference and trade-off, though a lot of guys are shooting shorter barrels to help cut down on OAL.

Noise reduction, recoil management, nothing worse than shooting a big magnum with a loud *** muzzle brake. I don't shoot anything unsuppressed anymore. I'm not a weight or length watcher though. I carry a 16 lbs 300 Norma mag hunting... And no I don't road hunt. I do solo backpack trips usually putting on 50 miles or more through a weeks hunt.

Even with normal supersonic loads their noise suppression is on par with foamies/in ear.

They also make it hard to distinguish where he sound sound came from, which could be beneficial for follow up shots.

I'm 63 and the past three seasons of mountain backpack hunting indicate I'm running out of the necessary stamina. At least where I hunt. Even though I'm in decent shape, I could never haul a rifle that heavy. Weight in my arms is less tolerated than weight in the backpack.
And I prefer in the arms when there could be a bear behind every bush along the way.

I hunted AK this August and was not accustomed to the angle of shots we were taking. Using a suppressor allowed me to miss cleanly on my first shot and drop the deer on my second. Without the suppressor I would have came up empty handed. That was the benefit in weight and length of the suppressor. Plus we were able to hunt that same mountain side the rest of the afternoon as well.

"Do they save your hearing, is that it?" No they do not. You should still wear hearing protection unless you are shooting sub sonic ammo. Shooting suppressed with sub sonic ammo is a tremendous amount of fun and a great way to get kids and first time shooters involved in the sport. That is where the suppressor really shines.

"Do they save your hearing, is that it?" No they do not. You should still wear hearing protection unless you are shooting sub sonic ammo. Shooting suppressed with sub sonic ammo is a tremendous amount of fun and a great way to get kids and first time shooters involved in the sport. That is where the suppressor really shines.
While mid 130s is still significant noise compared to the many hunters that shoot in the field without hearing protection especially with brakes rifles there is a tremendous difference in possible damage

1. Suppressors reduce noise to the point that hearing protection is not a necessity (a huge bonus for hunting). The sonic boom of supersonic bullets will still hurt your ears, but to a much lesser extent than unsuppressed rifle fire, especially compared to shooting with a muzzle brake.
2. Suppressors eliminate muzzle blast, which in my opinion is an even bigger detriment to accurate shooting than recoil. By muzzle blast I mean the concussive shock wave that causes flinching and headaches.
3. Suppressors elongate the recoil impulse, making recoil more manageable and less jarring.
4. Chicks dig them.

I have sorta looked into it and decided it just wasn't worth the Money..Time..Hassle.
Just more hoops that they make you jump through.
I use fitted rubber plugs with my Walkers muffs and my hearing is OK?
I would rather up-grade my glass!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.