Why Shoot Hammer Bullets

Gday GL

Shhh George or the secret will get out 😜🤪😇

In all seriousness backcountry it's not just going fast it's getting the bubble & shape-charge correct to get this outcome of a consistent bangflop or a reduced run @ a minimum but speed dosent concern the majority of hammers ( odd one the bubble goes to sideways & needs to be slowed to more modest velocity of 3k 101 bo as example )
Now I don't know anything about the 169 & your likely shot ranges you normally hunt to or max range
What I do know is most people will do better by dropping a little weight to a lot on the average
The hard part is clearing our heads

You were in a pretty good velocity bracket @ impact & that's a extended run no doubt
So what can we learn from this as these are the ones we do

Could we have a little more details to fill in the blanks please
I'm having trouble seeing the picture in enough detail as I am using my phone & I haven't come to the realisation I actually need glasses yet lol
So moving forward
It looks like a narrower than usual wound from what I expect with hammers & looks more like a Barnes type wound ( I'm not picking on Barnes just classify all mushroom monos as Barnes type wounds but if I need to I can adjust & I'll break down or generalise to stop problems occurring hopefully) but I've also seen these in the field with hammers & usually these type of wounds are more suited to bigger critters but when it's a pill that contains a great bubble & shape change it dosent matter what size critter ( within reason ) you just watch the magic happen ( recent tests from my son that's relayed to Steve & Brian ) showed some interesting things & the knowledge & the bar is getting lifted once again

Could you answer these please & anything else you think is important
So is the wound the same in ea Lung & are the lungs hit in the back half ?
Did it strike a rib on way in ? Where the pill started to open ?
Where the pill basically shed its petals ?
Size of exit ?
Did petals exit ?

On recent discussions with Steve & Brian I personally like the way they are heading now I won't Divulge but it ties in here also I believe but it's mainly in relation to the prototype

Sorry to be a pain & if you don't know that's fine I will just keep plugging away to settle my curiosity

Cheers
I did hit rib on way in and out.
It was back of lung, but both lungs look the same. If you zoom in you can see a couple petals or rib fragments above main wound.
I added in picture of closer up of entrance to lung and you can see behind it the other lung and it was same position and same results. I will say that these were some of the easiest bullets to get to shoot and I have no doubt they work but I believe I did go too heavy of bullet.
Curious when you got these bullets. We had a batch of copper in '21 that was not opening and shedding as fast as we like.

It is certainly possible to have lung shot runners anytime. I just haven't seen them with our bullets like I did before we started making bullets. I had a wt doe run quite a ways several years ago shot at 100y with a 285g Hammer Hunter from a 338 Lapua imp with a muzzle vel of 3100 fps. She had a hole through her lungs that you could put a fist through. I was quite amazed. Other than that the only other runner I have seen was a zebra shot at 110y with a 30-30 and the 143g Hammer Hunter center of the lungs. He ran about 200y but it only took him about 10 seconds and died in a pile of skid marks.
December of 2020 was my 169's and august of 2021 was my 166's

Attachments

• A5C805C7-630A-4504-AD61-301659ED5E58.png
    A5C805C7-630A-4504-AD61-301659ED5E58.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • DFD73E3F-A821-4C18-A325-B370DC243A4D.jpeg
    DFD73E3F-A821-4C18-A325-B370DC243A4D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 9447EB35-3D8F-40C1-BA90-C673018668AD.jpeg
    9447EB35-3D8F-40C1-BA90-C673018668AD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
I did hit rib on way in and out.
It was back of lung, but both lungs look the same. If you zoom in you can see a couple petals or rib fragments above main wound.
I added in picture of closer up of entrance to lung and you can see behind it the other lung and it was same position and same results. I will say that these were some of the easiest bullets to get to shoot and I have no doubt they work but I believe I did go too heavy of bullet.

December of 2020 was my 169's and august of 2021 was my 166's
That is what I thought. It is interesting, I just answered an email from a customer using the same bullet wanting to know if the extreme destruction he witnessed is normal.

Distance shot? shot location? How far deer traveled?df
My response was too post 126 really has nothing too do with HAMMER BULLETS , but too ansewer your question, the deer was 100 yds, shot with my carbine 6.5x55 ,139 gr NORMA soft point , tight behind the shoulder ,exit wound DRT . THE same day KENNEDY was shot ,with the one and only MAGIC BULLET. My dad let me miss school that Friday to deer hunt . A day I'll never forget. I still have that custom rifle too date.

Elk, 6.5 124, hit at 320, 50 yards.
Elk, same bullet, hit at 200, 20 yards.

Elk, 284 177, hit at 400, 40 yards.
Elk, same bullet, hit at 380, 5 yards.
Elk, same bullet hit at 720, 50 yards.

Antelope, 6.5 124, hit at 820, 5 yards.
Antelope, same, hit at 120, 40 yards
Antelope, same, same, same.
Antelope, same, hit at 5 yards, 100 yards.

There's a few off the top of my head.
Antelope at 5 yds? Man, you coulda threw your knife. Must be a sneaky dude. 🤠

Antelope at 5 yds? Man, you coulda threw your knife. Must be a sneaky dude. 🤠
That was my daughter, she slithered a few hundred yards up a ditch and wiggled through some high grass and poked her barrel out and when they moved they walked down the ditch instead of crossing where I was, she was waiting for a buck but she's not one to pass up a close range ambush shot like that, she was pretty happy with herself!!

That was my daughter, she slithered a few hundred yards up a ditch and wiggled through some high grass and poked her barrel out and when they moved they walked down the ditch instead of crossing where I was, she was waiting for a buck but she's not one to pass up a close range ambush shot like that, she was pretty happy with herself!!
I made a huntress too. Pretty cool isn't it?

I made a huntress too. Pretty cool isn't it?
Ya, their a little spooky though, between my buddy and I we have three in their late teens now and they show no mercy, nothing more savage than the transition when they see shootable elk. God forbid a boy friend hasn't killed an elk before them!!

Last edited:
Ya, their a little spooky though, between my buddy and I we have three in their late teens now and they show no mercy, nothing more savage than the transition when they see shootable elk. God forbid a boy friend hasn't killed an elk before them!!
That is so true. My daughter, when it is time to kill, she's laser focused. You couldn't drag her through too much chit to keep her from getting it done. And it still remains when it comes to packing it out. She will carry a pack as heavy as any of the men.

Gday bfd
Here is why you shoot Hammer bullets! Worst hit I've ever seen. Hornady 200gr RN 2100fps 100yds. "Oh more frontal area" "Big & slow plows right through..." STFU! Speed kills!

That old hornady RN has taken a many critter ( I've still got a soft spot for this design ) & guess it's a one off 😜

Well for that porka it was 🤣

You've started to scratch the surface with the speed kills & from the outside looking in that's correct as a pill regardless of brand on the whole will kill better with more speed ( velocity window needs to be found with ea pill to make the decision clearer on limits of speed )
& that pill definitely kills better @ a higher impact but I'm assuming you can't push it any faster so a option is to go a lighter pill & then that's flaunt with danger in this case ( don't know if hornady makes or did make a smaller RN ) or switch to a different type that is more suited to the impact created from this taken path

Then we have the next stage what's the velocity window of that pill & it keeps going on till we can get a pill that handles a broader spectrum of the impacts / resistances we WILL eventually encounter in the field if not by that person I guarantee it will be someone
Now a one off I get but when it's replicated I say yes to that person it may be but to the general population it's no longer a one of it's that possibility of happening that is reality

& that exactly what ever brand does

Me personally I went to the light mushroom mono way & found out in all reality I was a little worse than the old RN
( my impacts were on average 250 greater but the mushroom monos on average need 2400 to work well not this crap !!! I hear oh but they work down to x velocity )
I really wish I had of had hammers back then as there window is the greatest on the market hands down & for those that doubt this to be the case I'll openly have a discussion to show both sides of the fence & I'll state in advance if your in the 1200 to 1800 impact block a frangible wins this race pretty easy
For the majority of people going off the pole on here some time ago most game I'd assume are in the 2100 to 2750 blocks
So most pills will work well here but some are dropping off & other brands are more applicable to use than others

Now the kills gets iffy above this especially the 3 k plus mark & resistances also come into play in all blocks , its finding these better pills for the blocks we will be impacting in that gives us a more consistent outcome

Now get out & smack a porka bfd on that angle with a 140 sh & show us what the magic looks like then the 178SH or visa versa so we can find the line in the sand moments that will help us all in determining the better pill
Yeah it's that easy right 🤣

It's why I love this idea here as if enough do it .
you watch how what we learn grows really quickly
Just need good data people get that together & I can retire from this bullet testing as I will be soon anyway so I'd love to do it earlier than planned

Looking forward to delving a little deeper Cheers