Why Shoot Hammer Bullets

Backcountry
I bet if you dropped your bullet wt and increased your speed MAGIC and bang flops would occuršŸ„°
About what velocity are you guys seeing the MAGIC speed? I got some 101 HH for the 7-08 but now wondering if I can't push them fast enough to see the bubble results you fellas have referred to

I was wondering, but you'd think at 3200 fps it would open up. My 166 in my 30-06 did same, lessons learned.
It opened up , or I would be surprised if it didn't , it just seems that the lighter faster HAMMERS gives more of a bang flop on terminal performance . My guess is the lungs where a mess ,it's not unusual for a lung shot deer too run ,how far depends on where the shot placement is and how much damage too the lungs.

It opened up , or I would be surprised if it didn't , it just seems that the lighter faster HAMMERS gives more of a bang flop on terminal performance . My guess is the lungs where a mess ,it's not unusual for a lung shot deer too run ,how far depends on where the shot placement is and how much damage to the lungs.
I would say on elk you would have a different experience because of heavier muscle and a thicker skinned animal with the-heavier HAMMERS .

Gday GL
Backcountry
I bet if you dropped your bullet wt and increased your speed MAGIC and bang flops would occuršŸ„°
Shhh George or the secret will get out šŸ˜œšŸ¤ŖšŸ˜‡

In all seriousness backcountry it's not just going fast it's getting the bubble & shape-charge correct to get this outcome of a consistent bangflop or a reduced run @ a minimum but speed dosent concern the majority of hammers ( odd one the bubble goes to sideways & needs to be slowed to more modest velocity of 3k 101 bo as example )
Now I don't know anything about the 169 & your likely shot ranges you normally hunt to or max range
What I do know is most people will do better by dropping a little weight to a lot on the average
The hard part is clearing our heads

You were in a pretty good velocity bracket @ impact & that's a extended run no doubt
So what can we learn from this as these are the ones we do

Could we have a little more details to fill in the blanks please
I'm having trouble seeing the picture in enough detail as I am using my phone & I haven't come to the realisation I actually need glasses yet lol
So moving forward
It looks like a narrower than usual wound from what I expect with hammers & looks more like a Barnes type wound ( I'm not picking on Barnes just classify all mushroom monos as Barnes type wounds but if I need to I can adjust & I'll break down or generalise to stop problems occurring hopefully) but I've also seen these in the field with hammers & usually these type of wounds are more suited to bigger critters but when it's a pill that contains a great bubble & shape change it dosent matter what size critter ( within reason ) you just watch the magic happen ( recent tests from my son that's relayed to Steve & Brian ) showed some interesting things & the knowledge & the bar is getting lifted once again

Could you answer these please & anything else you think is important
So is the wound the same in ea Lung & are the lungs hit in the back half ?
Did it strike a rib on way in ? Where the pill started to open ?
Where the pill basically shed its petals ?
Size of exit ?
Did petals exit ?

On recent discussions with Steve & Brian I personally like the way they are heading now I won't Divulge but it ties in here also I believe but it's mainly in relation to the prototype

Sorry to be a pain & if you don't know that's fine I will just keep plugging away to settle my curiosity

Cheers

I was wondering, but you'd think at 3200 fps it would open up. My 166 in my 30-06 did same, lessons learned.
Curious when you got these bullets. We had a batch of copper in '21 that was not opening and shedding as fast as we like.

It is certainly possible to have lung shot runners anytime. I just haven't seen them with our bullets like I did before we started making bullets. I had a wt doe run quite a ways several years ago shot at 100y with a 285g Hammer Hunter from a 338 Lapua imp with a muzzle vel of 3100 fps. She had a hole through her lungs that you could put a fist through. I was quite amazed. Other than that the only other runner I have seen was a zebra shot at 110y with a 30-30 and the 143g Hammer Hunter center of the lungs. He ran about 200y but it only took him about 10 seconds and died in a pile of skid marks.

Gday
About what velocity are you guys seeing the MAGIC speed? I got some 101 HH for the 7-08 but now wondering if I can't push them fast enough to see the bubble results you fellas have referred to
Great question
You can get enough speed easily out of the 7-08 upto the 120 ( 131 šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļømy twist is limiting factor here so unsure )

I'm about to start not pickicking
The 101 works well but for me the 120 hh was a more consistent pill & the 119AH man that more like a frangible on steroids on entry but I haven't got enough data on that pill
The total fallow deer on those 3 pills is just shy of 50 & I need to get back to the 119 to complete that part of my journey but I'm also waiting for one of the two prototypes to come out in 7mm šŸ˜Ž ok I'll wait for both types then the 7-08 is coming out again

cheers

Up into the mid twenties on deer with them, most DRT, but lung shot well traveled twenty to fifty yards. Last kill on big doe at little over 350 yards. Picked angle wrong and got right lung ,liver, which was mush.she ran towards me which was nice of her. About seventy yards. 120HH in 7-08.
Added

Recent Posts