Why Shoot Hammer Bullets

Hammer bullets have become a problem for me, they kill more than deer, they're killing my checking account 🤣, I can't stop buying the darn things
What's impressive to me is…..
I built that 124 HH load for an ultra mag and it shot 3/4" groups at 300 yards, and 6" groups on my 800 yard tall target.
And seeing how I'm an ultra mag tweeker, I said to myself, there's no way that same load will shoot in another 300rum with out adjustment. I was wrong. I've ran the exact same load, same coal, through 3 rifles now and the worst groups were 1/2 moa.

No other projo has ever done that for me.

WOW, I did that also, 124HH in a 300RUM, after pushing them over 4100fps. I backed them down to 3900, found a good node there, and made a ragged hole with 5 shots at 100yds and .75 at 200yds, with a 12oz trigger. You have to play with some of the different bullets. I'm having fun. 😁
I ran the 151AH to 3800. Never got better than 1/2 moa. But that was with old school thinking. I have to got back to them now that ive "cleared my mind".
I'm confident that since I have a better understanding now, the 151s will approach 4000 with better than 1/2 moa accuracy.

I ran the 151AH to 3800. Never got better than 1/2 moa. But that was with old school thinking. I have to got back to them now that ive "cleared my mind".
I'm confident that since I have a better understanding now, the 151s will approach 4000 with better than 1/2 moa accuracy.
WOW, THAT'S COOL. Have fun with it. Be safe. 😁

For transparency.
When I develop loads, I never shoot at 100.
300 yards initially, when promise is shown, it goes to 500 and 700.
I fully understand that not everyone has that opportunity.
Tiny prints at 100 are fun, but in LRH scenarios, 100 yards means absolutely nothing. No disrespect meant.

WOW, THAT'S COOL. Have fun with it. Be safe. 😁
For many years, my "go to" load was 150 grain ballistic tips at 3800 for short range (600 and closer) hunting. Never bothered to pick up a piece of brass. It was toast after one shot. But now, those radiused bands are offering opportunities that were once unavailable.

My 7-08 is shooting 119 Absolute Hammer, with CFE 223, 3300fps. Believe it or not. I don't care, shot a buck this year at 125yds. Dropped like a bag of Hammers. 👍👍👍
Man, that is cooking with gas right there. This is like the 4th time I've seen this powder come up...

Gday
Sorry I got delayed bad day I misplaced my passport 🤬

So let's pull these data sheets apart to get a little clarity & where they can be improved from you guys if you want

First off

The numbers up the side are impact velocity

I used 200 fps blocks as I thought when I started these realistically you wouldn't be able to tell the difference @ 100 well I was wrong on that as in the case of a few pills 100 difference you can tell once enough critters are taken this is either to high a impact or getting to low a velocity where killing just falls away

Next part
Ea line to get a x needed 10 critters as a minimum & these were
4x broadside ( 2x shoulder bone 2x in the ribs )
3x quarter to
3x quarter away

Numbers 1 to 5 are just that numbers
1 best 5 poor & kinda fitted with my impact to tip numbers so
My calcs were the following
Cns not included ( only on field sheets )
Bangflop =0
Impact to tip runs in yards( my paces no tape measure lol sometimes my feet were used )
1-10 =1
11-20 =2
21-30=3
31-40=4
41+. =5
Lost critter =10

Initially I didn't include lost critters as I was more of that's probably more like me & my skills but after a while I did include ( I will have to correct in my notes as my son was saying my sums dont add up lol yep they don't include any number for a lost critter ) as I worked out for me personally a lost critter was something that showed up as a real big concern as a pill that is absolutely spectacular one shot then poor the next cannot be relied upon in the field as it will eventually let you down ( nothings idiot proof & also crap happens sometimes & why I replicate or try that particular scenario again to find out if it's a design fault or the way the cookie crumbles or in fact this muppet may be the cause )

But a lost critter I ended up giving a 10 on that scale & I recovered a few after a day or so & it was bullet failure not me but some were also me

So the way I calculated these out was the following on 10 critters
2x bangflops =0
1X 1-10=1
2X11-20=4
2X21-30=6
1X31-40=4
1X41 plus=5
1X lost =10
Total of 30divided by 10 critters for that velocity block = a score of 3 for that line & if more animals taken just keep adding numbers & dividing & put the x where it lands , only issue I had doing this was once I got my data I tended to try & stay away from that particular placement & on the whole worked way better but Murphy got me now & then so my way of fixing that was I needed a pill that just covered more bases so my search continued & my data sheets expanded

ea velocity block was pretty simple as if it impacted @ say 2301 it went into the 2400 column if impact was 2299 it went in the 2200 block

While in the field it was pretty easy to do as just a tick in ea box where the animal fell & then compile that data once time permitted

Id help where I could on any data that would be needed if this gets up & running
Yep I'll take the shots not many will

Looking forward to how this plays out & the lessons we learn along the way
So start chucking ideas around & something will click

Cheers

Gday Jessej
For many years, my "go to" load was 150 grain ballistic tips at 3800 for short range (600 and closer) hunting. Never bothered to pick up a piece of brass. It was toast after one shot. But now, those radiused bands are offering opportunities that were once unavailable.
Oh man that is music to my ears one & done
Don't worry those funny little bands that irritate a few on here can still be pushed to one & done 😇🫣😍 both the brass & critter 🤣🤣🤣

Cheers