Why not Weatherby

I own Vanguards, Mark V's in various finishes and stocks including Accumark as well as a Remington Sendero. They are all great rifles in their own right.

The Accumark as well as Sendero can often be had for around $1000 to $1200 depending on caliber and condition. Ignore the MSRP on any of these rifles and don't be afraid to cruise Gunbroker looking for real world prices.

I very much like the Mark V action, short bolt throw and trigger. This year my 340 took an elk at 400+ yards, so they work well when you want them to.

Good luck in your search!

+1
i really like the mark v accumark. i picked up a 1998 lightly used 300 wby mag on gunbroker this past spring from a shop in Ga. then bedded the action from 1" in front of recoil lug to tang free floating the barrel. setup talley mounts and a 3-12x50 zeiss scope with 30mm main tube. otherwise a factory gun. she shoots great. gun)

the attachment is from a 100 yd load work up from yesterday. this one seems to like the 178 amax over rl 25 or rl 22 with fed 215gm primer, wby brass collet neck sized, trim to 2.82". col is ~ 3.627". the factory weatherby 165 sp cartridges shoot well also.

Attachments

• P1050399a.jpg
    P1050399a.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 20
My 300 Weatherby, straight from the factory box, put the first three shots into a 1 1/2 group at 300 yards, using 190 grain Hornadys. It kills elk too.
RF

I love my Weatherby! I got a Vanguard SS in .243 Win. and I've been using it successfully for years now. Out of the box it shot half MOA with 55 grain Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips, and around 3/4 MOA with 95 grain XP3's.

After I did a free-float, glass bedding job, and trigger job (all back when I was 16) the gun shot several 1/4 MOA groups with mildly loaded 69 grain Berger HBCFB Match bullets.

I really, REALLY prefer it to the Remingtons I've used and owned. The Vanguard is built like a tank, and it shows.

Only gripe is that the synthetic stock is made to be pressure bedded, and it's too flimsy to take a free float. After some goofing around, I just bought a Boyds' laminate thumbhole stock.

I collect them to pass along to my 6 kids who probably wont be able to afford them one day. Mainly wood guns nice deluxe, lazermarks and euros.

Having said that i have some longer range ULW and Accumarks that shoot as good as anything i've owned. If you pinch penny's shooting premium weatherby ammo isn't for everyone. (most complaints cost and availability of ammo) The rifles aren't actually terribly expensive in today's world, lot of these rigs cost way more than weatherby's. Check out buds guns, gun broker (careful you have to pay taxes now in some states).

If you get one, i'll bet my next paycheck it wont be your last! ;)

I hate old zombie threads! :)

They make nice rifles. I bought a used .300 when I was 16 years old and have used it as my main rifle for most of the last 35 years. I had mine factory re-barreled and re-blued a couple years back and it shoots 1/2" groups all day long with Barnes 180gr TTSX. It's been to Africa several times and up and down more mountains than I can count.

The design concept is counter to most of what is showing up in accuracy circles these days. Belted rims are out. Nobody really tries to accurize the 9-lug action and bolt. The enormous jump distance turns some people off. Apart from that, Roy was a bit ahead of his time. Bullet design lagged behind the velocities they were able to achieve and compared to newer case designs, most of the calibers aren't terribly efficient gulping down huge quantities of powder. Guides sometimes didn't like them because many people didn't handle the recoil well. If you don't handload, forget it. The ammos is terribly expensive.

If you can get over that, they're gorgeous, gorgeous rifles, especially a nice Mk V with a nice Walnut stock. The design of the stock really helps reduce felt recoil and they just come up nicely to a natural point of aim. I've only got 5 or 6 of them at the moment...... need to work on that. :)

My 300 shoots the barnes really well but i settled in on the 180 grain scirocco's im a fan of them across the board. I came across a collector looking to downsize and i've got a pretty good collection looking to passdown to my kids from varmintmasters to 300 all in between only one i don't have many of is 7mm.

The fascination is it's a gorgeous rifle, I have some that in my lifetime wont hit the field and some i hunt with. Weatherby is pretty overkill for our little little Texas critters, but i love them.