Why NOT to use super glue on loose primer pockets

Not sure if "cavalier" is good or not.....:D But I am a happy go lucky fella....:rolleyes: So far so good.....:)

This cartridge is 300 RUM improved and necked down to 277. I'm way ahead of you on the bigger calibre....... there's a 375 Allen Magnum somewhere in the production batch process. That's a 408 Chey-Tac (505 Jeffery based case, I think) improved and necked down to 375 bore (142 gr powder and 350 gr projectile).

I'm of the mind set that a 270 Am should shoot like a 270 AM, not a 270 WSM and so forth......If an extreme magnum isn't shooting in the class with extreme magnums, it's just another extremely long range wannabe.....gun)

I'll plop one your way and tell you when to watch for the splash. It'll take a couple of shots to determine which side of the country to be on.:D

with your cavalier attitude to safety why not try soldering in the primers or even centre pop around the edge of it ? only on loaded rounds of course !

seriously though , get it rechambered or get a bigger calibre ? running it that hot is not smart really ?

this is the reason we have lots of calibres , using your theorys i might try 50 grains of bullseye in my .308 and see what velocity i get? (i could try and get readings on the bits of my reciever as they whistled past my head?

It's simple enough for me to understand how to make a primer pocket bigger but how does a primer pocket swager reduce the size of the pocket?

It's simple enough for me to understand how to make a primer pocket bigger but how does a primer pocket swager reduce the size of the pocket?

Do a Forum or Google search using the words Hart swage primer and/or pocket. Too difficult to explain in text. They've been discussed on this Forum in the past. Hart is one company that sells them. I bought mine from a company based out of Florida though. I think the company that manufactures them. I can't remember the name.

Tried one last year and wasn't particularly impressed with it. It just moves a little brass in the pocket in such a way as for form a small ring of brass around the inside top or so of the pocket so that the primer goes in a little harder and holds a little hard. On top load in the 300RUM it seemed to give me an extra load...maybe two.

jmden, thanks for the response I kinda thought somehow some of the brass material had to be moved around somehow....simple.

Last edited:
This is one of the more entertaining bunch of posts and reply's Ive seen in a while. I guess its always funnier when you can see yourself tryin it :D. Thanks for the Post Roy, I think Ill leave the superglue alone. Seemed like a sound theory tho.
Have you tried Gorilla glue? :Dhehehe You go first, and let me know k hahaha.
I dont know why Im still laughing, I wouldve tried it someday if it werent for this post, but this resembles something Pat McManus would write about. You arent related to Crazy Eddie Muldune are you?:D

cavalier means a devil may care attitude .

it sounds like you are really pushing the boundries ? which is fine in my book because all the best stuff was a result of on the edge experiments ? jolly good luck with that ! who knows in a couple of years we might all be shooting turbo nutter destructo zap magnums as a result of your efforts?

oh and as for shooting at england i wouldn't recommend it, the english have been fighting with pretty much everyone since the dawn of time so we're pretty good at it ! ask napoleon or ceaser or hitler ? our main problem is an idiot anti gun government but with any luck we'll vote them out soon?

LOVING THE SOUND OF A 375 ALLEN MAGNUM ! when does a rifle stop being a rifle and become artillery?

Russ

Not sure if "cavalier" is good or not.....:D But I am a happy go lucky fella....:rolleyes: So far so good.....:)

This cartridge is 300 RUM improved and necked down to 277. I'm way ahead of you on the bigger calibre....... there's a 375 Allen Magnum somewhere in the production batch process. That's a 408 Chey-Tac (505 Jeffery based case, I think) improved and necked down to 375 bore (142 gr powder and 350 gr projectile).

I'm of the mind set that a 270 Am should shoot like a 270 AM, not a 270 WSM and so forth......If an extreme magnum isn't shooting in the class with extreme magnums, it's just another extremely long range wannabe.....gun)

I'll plop one your way and tell you when to watch for the splash. It'll take a couple of shots to determine which side of the country to be on.:D

Roy
Have you called CCI, perhaps we could get them to start making LR primers in slightly over sized versions, sort of like reamer bushings. That way as the case expanded you could just up size one or two .00010 and keep shooting until you get separation of the case head, then maybe you could try that super glue again.
Just a thought
Dave

cavalier means a devil may care attitude .

LOVING THE SOUND OF A 375 ALLEN MAGNUM ! when does a rifle stop being a rifle and become artillery?

Russ

Answer; When one ceases to need a spotting scope, and must rely on a forward observer instead!:D

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

get a slingshot !

Yaaa, I'm planning a Kodiak bear hunt later this year and I decided to resurrect my old childhood sling shot. No primer problems, quiet, efficient and deadly. As for load data, I only have this marble that I found. :cool:

Crazy glue could also be used to repair split case necks I bet. Also, I was just brain storming and I think I'm going to stop all re-sizing and start gluing the bullet in the case. I bet the brass life would be extended exponentially!

:D:D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.