why not the 257 wthby

it does not say where you are. did you get a weatherby sub moa or a weatherby accumark??

actually it's a stainless vanguard. I know it's not the top of the line, but I'm getting sub min. groups with factory ammo so far. The factory ammo is the same price as empty brass so I'm still shooting it until I have enuff brass to reload.

I have and shoot a custom commercial mauser actioned .300 wby, so I have some experience with Weatherby's. I believe that WBY's are a lot like the Ackley conversions....ahead of their time. When they were developed, there was not much choice in slow burning powders. Today we have so many good, slow burning powders available, that many of the older cartridges with bad reps for barrel life have received a new life. I shoot a .220 Ackley Swift for varmints that is the most accurate rifle I own. I have shot thousands of rounds thru it with little or no barrel wear. I use a Shilen match ss barrel and have crono'd my loads as fast as 4100 fps.

The right powder matched with the caliber you are shooting is as important as the bullet you choose.

Paul at Wildcat Bullets makes some 130 grain high BC bullets which perform very well in the wind and at long range and work well on elk.

I am sitting here in Fairview Ut waiting for the snow to go visit other well deserving people and then I will try to get up on the Skyline Drive to kill yet another elk with those bullets.

I use RL 22 being as I have a lot of it.

The 257 wthrby is a great cartrige. The round has been used for the African Cape Buffalo, Roy Weatherby proved that.

If cost is a factor then stay away from any Weatherby. As for burning up the barrel fast, yea. But if you can afford to run enough ammo through it to burn it up, you can afford a new barrel every now and again. Every gun will eventually burn a barrel up, some sooner than others and the 257 is one of those. But, there are those calibers that are harder on a barrel.

The only flatter caliber in it's class is the 257 Hot Tamale.

I love the round for just this reason, it's FLAT! On whitetail it is rather damaging on this game under 200 yards if you use the higher velocity rounds. Stay with the heavier 115 gr if you intend on whitetail under 200. I did a lot of research and about this very issue, it only took one deer before I was a believer. I shot a buck at 130 yrds with the 100gr and I got out with two backstraps and two hind quarters. The gun is very distructive on medium sized game under 200yrds, so pick the heaviest/slowest round you can. I have shot many whitetails with the 257wthrby and have never lost an animal. Some drop in their tracks and the others might run 30-40yrds .

I have also shot large 200+lb hogs with this round and had no problems.

The 257 wthrby has an awesome MPBR.

Keep in mind that the 257 is a very distructive round on small/medium size game. I shot a 140lb doe at 603 yrd and it exploded the internals. It has been said by other members on this post and as much as I love the 257 wthrby, there are better calibers for whitetail/pronghorn under the 200 yrd mark.

The caliber is definitely not ideal if your goal is to punch paper at a grand. I have seen boxes of ammunition go for any where from $65 - $100 per box.

I actually found loaded ammo for the same price as empty brass. So I now have 100rds. of it and plan to shoot it out then start to reload it. $40 per box. Thanx for the advice on bullet size.

I actually found loaded ammo for the same price as empty brass. So I now have 100rds. of it and plan to shoot it out then start to reload it. $40 per box. Thanx for the advice on bullet size.

Where did you find 257wthrby ammo for $40.00 aprox per box? Please don't take this the wrong way, I believe you. I am just wanting to know if the store is located in the lower 48 and are they willing to ship/order if I provide them a credit card. I live here in Oklahoma and the cheapest I have seen is $69.00 for Spire Point for a box of 20.

I am thinking just like you. Shot it up and reload it.

What bullet is this 257 ammo loaded with? Is this factory loads or ammo loaded by Weatherby? If you are not sure, could you PM me their phone number.

No problem, It was Cabelas. They are 100gr. spire points. I buy them in WI, that's where I'm from. I bought my last box there in may, But I did check there wed site recently and they werer still that price. Any ?'s pm me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.