Why not shorten your rifle's barrel?

tony m

Firstly I am not a long range hunter/shooter.Just look at the advantages of a shortened tube.Improved harmonics, more maneuverable and lighter in the field, alot of times more accurate . We all wear hearing protection so muzzle blast is not an issue. Hunting mountain game like I do, portability is key on horseback or on the shanks mare.I cannot see a reason , other than a minimal increase in muzzle velocity( in many cases) to have a long barrel.What say you?

Last edited:
Firstly I am not a long range hunter/shooter.Just look at thr advantages of a shorted tube.Improved harmonics, more maneuverable and lighter in the field, alot of times more accurate . We all wear hearing protection so muzzle blast is not an issue. Hunting mountain game like I do, portability is key on horseback or on the shanks mare.I cannot see a reason , other than a minimal increase in muzzle velocity( in many cases) to have a long barrel.What say you?

lightbulb:D I think you answered your own question :D. lightbulb

Not my primary but I carry mine atop the mountain hunting; it's a .270 AI with 30" barrel (.750" at the muzzle).

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

1101141037_zpsac79443d.jpg

If it serves your intended purpose, I say go for it.

Cheers!

Last edited:
lightbulb:D I think you answered your own question :D. lightbulb

Not my primary but I carry mine atop the mountain hunting; it's a .270 AI with 30" barrel (.750" at the muzzle).

If it serves your intended purpose, I say go for it.

Cheers!

Well yea, if you are not a long range shooter why would YOU not ?

The reason is the minimal increase in velocity you spoke about. With a large capacity cartridge, the difference between the velocity of a 22 and 28 inch barrel might be considered more than minimal by some.

The reason is the minimal increase in velocity you spoke about. With a large capacity cartridge, the difference between the velocity of a 22 and 28 inch barrel might be considered more than minimal by some.

And not minimal with others. Works well with some rounds & not so well with others. To each his own

Y'all didn't say what cartridge you are using. Some are more short barrel friendly than others.

It's easy to understand, the more overbore the longer the barrel recommended.

Example, something like a 308 is fine even with a 16 inch barrel. 20 inches is probably more practical.

A 300 RUM looses a lot for everything under 26 inches. 30 and more is not out of line.

Your gunsmith will probably have an opinion.

Take everything with a grain of salt and go for what you want based on your use.

Y'all didn't say what cartridge you are using. Some are more short barrel friendly than others.

It's easy to understand, the more overbore the longer the barrel recommended.

Example, something like a 308 is fine even with a 16 inch barrel. 20 inches is probably more practical.

A 300 RUM looses a lot for everything under 26 inches. 30 and more is not out of line.

Your gunsmith will probably have an opinion.

Take everything with a grain of salt and go for what you want based on your use.

Yep

Tony, in order to receive a qualified answer the caliber needs to be known. There are many here capable of a precise reply with proper info.

I would agree that shorter (and lighter) would be optimal, but my experience has been that if I want the MV, I need the barrel length.

I bought a DPMS LR308 that came standard with a 16" barrel. I was doing hand loads and getting MVs around 2450 or so when all of the manuals were showing more like 2800 or so. Then I look and find that the test barrels are 24+ inches. I rebarreled to a 24" and ended up getting around 2,900 fps. It's an anchor now and hardly an easy carry, but it suits my purposes.

Also have a Wby 338-378 Mk V that comes standard with a whippy little skinny 26" barrel and I wasn't getting much MV out of that one either. I re-barreled in a medium palma at 30" and it sends 300gr bullets at about 3,000 fps. It's a really heavy rifle as rifles go, but it does what I need.

If you want long range, you need the MV. Shooting long range, you have the option of setting up, making a little bit of noise, shooting prone (as you should with long range), and it's no big deal.

But that's just me.

Velocity. Shorter barrels are not more or less accurate. A 22-24" barrel would be a good compromise should you have to shoot something 3-500y.

My main hunting rifle has a 24" barrel. It feels clumsy when trying to get through the brush with it slung on my shoulder. It catches every tree limb in the area. I'd really like to stay away from 26" barrels and there's no way I'd go longer than 26" for an every day carry around rifle. I'd like to get shorter, like 22" if it wouldn't kill my velocity.

For a gun made specifically for long-range shooting, I can see that a 30" barrel would make sense. But for a general-purpose hunting rifle, it does not suit me.

So it depends on what you want to do with it and what you're comfortable lugging around.

It's a matter of the parameters (style) as to the benefits a particular firearm system offers.

You aren't a long range shooter/hunter, and a large heavy system doesn't suit you. You've had a couple of threads that focus on shorter, lighter, handier firearms. From here it seems your ideal might be a couple of "horse pistols" hanging from the saddle horn.

Not a thing in the world wrong with that. I kind of like having multiple firearms, each as close to ideal for a particular circumstance. You like your particular set of circumstances, and unless you branch out, nothing needs to change.

I had my Ruger #1A light sporter, at the range along with some other rifles, it looks odd sitting in the rack alongside the bigger rifles. It fills it's niche very well, but as ranges get farther, bigger optics are useful, heavier cartridges, heavier rifles, maintaining maintaining expansion velocity a little longer is a good thing.

I have 2 sides in my safe, one has shorter, handier rifles, the other longer heavier. I like the choice and until we're regulated out of it I plan to have multiple firearms.

My main hunting rifle has a 24" barrel. It feels clumsy when trying to get through the brush with it slung on my shoulder. It catches every tree limb in the area. I'd really like to stay away from 26" barrels and there's no way I'd go longer than 26" for an every day carry around rifle. I'd like to get shorter, like 22" if it wouldn't kill my velocity.

For a gun made specifically for long-range shooting, I can see that a 30" barrel would make sense. But for a general-purpose hunting rifle, it does not suit me.

So it depends on what you want to do with it and what you're comfortable lugging around.
It is great to get some feedback on this.I also will not carry a rifle that has a longer than 24" barrel, 22 is better yet.Sometimes, it doesn't affect velocity much.I shortened a .270 win of mine from 22 to 19 inches..It lost 100 fps.I shortened the stock as well and it now is 39"long.It now is no longer than my model 94, it is a browning blr.A very handy, quick to handle saddle rifle I use for sheep hunting.In this country alot of times we carry the rifle bandolier style so our hands are free so we can climb or get through brush.Different regions have different requirements though, I like to hear about it all.Cheers.

"your gunsmith will have an opinion". Many years ago I wanted a 338 win mag with a 22" barrel I had to overcome my smith's opinion, man was he stubborn! I got my 22" barrel and was not disappointed.

Now days I am the "smith" so I do what I want. Some are long some are short depends on chambering.

If you want it shorter do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.