Why not boycott license fees to eliminate wolves in idaho

longrangehunterII

I received this email yesterday below from Idaho Fish & Game Dept. So I've been thinking over the last 4-5 years why I keep paying for a Sportsman's License when the Deer and Elk has been decimated by the sheer numbers of Wolves in Idaho.

I live surrounded by the Panhandle National Forest. A decade ago I used to have 30-50 Elk on my property everyday from 1 hour before Sunset, throughout the night to 1-1 1/2 hours after Sunrise. Along with a healthy Whitetail Deer population.

Slowly each year those numbers dwindled to now I'm lucky to even see a few Elk on my property once a month, and only 3-4 deer. BTW I don't hunt on the 40 acres I own, in fact I made it a conservation Ranching for Wildlife area as a place to feed, breed, rest, and access to running water.

Each year I kept seeing less and less Elk Calves, and healthy Cows without any Calves at all now in 2018. The funds hunters spend on hunting still remains high yet the Elk and Deer populations certainly aren't keeping up with what we once enjoyed.

So why not boycott for something worthy of a great cause? Can't eat a Wolf, certainly doesn't put food on the table, what about the trickle down effects? Frank at CdA Taxidermy rarely sees any huge deer anymore, same for the number of Elk, less butchers seeing game, motels and guides... I doubt it's even half of what it used to be even in States like Montana. Montana used lotteries for the overwhelming numbers of hunters that wanted Deer & Elk Tags, and I was one of those people too. They can't give them away for the price they are asking nowadays vs the glory days of hunting in MT, and ID.

Seems like the people who wanted Wolves introduced got what they wanted, and yet I'd bet there are a far greater number of hunters who hunt then the anti-hunters....... So why not do something about it, we already had Mountain Lions and even their litters are suffering to the point we are seeing them around downtown Coeur d'Alene. I'd bet like the Deer, and Elk hanging out on Ranchers land for security the Mt. Lions are thinking why not head to the city life.

I've tried to make my point(s) heard at the Fish & Game Department(s), and yet still nothing much gets done to increase the Deer, and Elk populations. We once had the greatest Deer and Elk numbers nationwide, a Billion dollars spent on hunting only to have it go down the drain....... Now our Big Game animals are fearing for their lives 24/7 vs what was only during legal hunting hours and dates!

A wolf vs a human hunting a Game Animal really isn't a fair comparison even with our skills, and high tech weapons considering a Wolf has 365 days a year to chase and hunt its quarry. I'd like to put my money elsewhere in this case, and why I tend to shoot more and more PRS Events then hunt much anymore. It's a shame what happened IMO, I loved to go out hunting regardless if I took an animal or not! But to not see the game I used to see makes me what to hunt less not more, and if I don't take an animal at least it's one more that might make it through another season to breed and hopefully help their own dire situation. If you'd like your opinion(s) heard please speak up, the ID F&G didn't give a lot of time to get involved...... Naturally!

Proposed Big Game Hunting Rules for 2019 - 2020
Fish and Game has proposed big game hunting seasons and rules changes based on new information from biologists, public input, and surveys over the last year.

The proposed seasons are broken down by region, then for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, lion, and wolf.

Hunters can view by region and comment on the proposed hunting seasons and rules changes using this online survey: Big Game Seasons and Rules Proposals

Comment deadline, February 24, 2019

I gave my input and suggested wolves are managed like coyotes, no restrictions on methods of take, season open all year in all units with no limits

At the very last page anyone can make comments on "anything they'd like to have the ID F&G Dept. to read". Please do so, you will have to leave your name and email address BTW. The Elk and Deer can't speak up for what the State has brought on them, so it's up to us to speak up for them......... I'd rather be shot then eaten alive, and I'd think anyone, anti-hunter or not would agree with that!?! Actually the anti-hunters seems to think being eaten alive is Naturally better........ just not themselves being eaten alive...... only another living creature!

I agree with you. Being an extremely avid spot & stalk bear hunter allows me to see what is going on with the other species. I hunt hard for at least 4 months out of the year. Last year there was far less black bear sign where I hunt. I spend a lot of time behind my binoculars. I'm lucky to see 2-3 deer or elk in a day of glassing. I am buying a Montana bear tag as they only allow Spot & stalk so I don't have to deal with dog guys & baiters. Killed a nice blackie last fall in Montana. Seems like all the Idaho F & G worry about are the **** Grizz. I have'nt decided if I am even buying an elk or deer tag in Idaho this year.

morning bureaucrats r like a gut pile. plenty of buzzards
wolves and coyotes. u can not fix dipped in stupid. must
b demo's. no apologies. justme gbot tum

I received this email yesterday below from Idaho Fish & Game Dept. So I've been thinking over the last 4-5 years why I keep paying for a Sportsman's License when the Deer and Elk has been decimated by the sheer numbers of Wolves in Idaho.

I live surrounded by the Panhandle National Forest. A decade ago I used to have 30-50 Elk on my property everyday from 1 hour before Sunset, throughout the night to 1-1 1/2 hours after Sunrise. Along with a healthy Whitetail Deer population.

Slowly each year those numbers dwindled to now I'm lucky to even see a few Elk on my property once a month, and only 3-4 deer. BTW I don't hunt on the 40 acres I own, in fact I made it a conservation Ranching for Wildlife area as a place to feed, breed, rest, and access to running water.

Each year I kept seeing less and less Elk Calves, and healthy Cows without any Calves at all now in 2018. The funds hunters spend on hunting still remains high yet the Elk and Deer populations certainly aren't keeping up with what we once enjoyed.

So why not boycott for something worthy of a great cause? Can't eat a Wolf, certainly doesn't put food on the table, what about the trickle down effects? Frank at CdA Taxidermy rarely sees any huge deer anymore, same for the number of Elk, less butchers seeing game, motels and guides... I doubt it's even half of what it used to be even in States like Montana. Montana used lotteries for the overwhelming numbers of hunters that wanted Deer & Elk Tags, and I was one of those people too. They can't give them away for the price they are asking nowadays vs the glory days of hunting in MT, and ID.

Seems like the people who wanted Wolves introduced got what they wanted, and yet I'd bet there are a far greater number of hunters who hunt then the anti-hunters....... So why not do something about it, we already had Mountain Lions and even their litters are suffering to the point we are seeing them around downtown Coeur d'Alene. I'd bet like the Deer, and Elk hanging out on Ranchers land for security the Mt. Lions are thinking why not head to the city life.

I've tried to make my point(s) heard at the Fish & Game Department(s), and yet still nothing much gets done to increase the Deer, and Elk populations. We once had the greatest Deer and Elk numbers nationwide, a Billion dollars spent on hunting only to have it go down the drain....... Now our Big Game animals are fearing for their lives 24/7 vs what was only during legal hunting hours and dates!

A wolf vs a human hunting a Game Animal really isn't a fair comparison even with our skills, and high tech weapons considering a Wolf has 365 days a year to chase and hunt its quarry. I'd like to put my money elsewhere in this case, and why I tend to shoot more and more PRS Events then hunt much anymore. It's a shame what happened IMO, I loved to go out hunting regardless if I took an animal or not! But to not see the game I used to see makes me what to hunt less not more, and if I don't take an animal at least it's one more that might make it through another season to breed and hopefully help their own dire situation. If you'd like your opinion(s) heard please speak up, the ID F&G didn't give a lot of time to get involved...... Naturally!

Proposed Big Game Hunting Rules for 2019 - 2020
Fish and Game has proposed big game hunting seasons and rules changes based on new information from biologists, public input, and surveys over the last year.

The proposed seasons are broken down by region, then for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, lion, and wolf.

Hunters can view by region and comment on the proposed hunting seasons and rules changes using this online survey: Big Game Seasons and Rules Proposals

Comment deadline, February 24, 2019
You're missing the point..
Our conservative state government is being forced into this wolf management mess by the federal government.
This is a clear example of why our constitution was set up to give the federal government very limited power, unfortunately our states rights are being stripped away and the feds are free to impose whatever regulations they want on us.
So it's going to take a hell of a lot more than a boycott to fix the wolf problem.

O.K., what would you suggest F&G do that would make a difference to wolf predation? If you remember back in the day, it wasn't hunting, bounties or trapping that got rid of the wolves. It was poison. Yep, poison, and that's federally banned. IMO, your going after the wrong dudes. You need to go Federal and more specifically, the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Wildlife Services. Good luck with that. They don't care what you think.

Your state agency is not the problem, it's the feds. If you break the pocket book of your state agencies the anti will jump right in. They are already doing it by all the sh!tty laws suites they file. They don't care as much if the win as long as they cost The agencies. There law suites have cost our game and fish department millions in my state.

I get where your coming from but a boycot would do the exact opposite of what you are hoping.

morning, NO u r missing the point they all r dipped in stupid.
go hunting in a different state. do not buy the licenses. monies
speak loader than words.
justme gbot tum

morning, NO u r missing the point they all r dipped in stupid.
go hunting in a different state. do not buy the licenses. monies
speak loader than words.
justme gbot tum
They would just offer more tags to out of staters who don't care about our wolf problem...

I think they should open it up and let us hunt them like coyotes as well. At least give us a year round season to fill our tags.

You're missing the point..
Our conservative state government is being forced into this wolf management mess by the federal government.
This is a clear example of why our constitution was set up to give the federal government very limited power, unfortunately our states rights are being stripped away and the feds are free to impose whatever regulations they want on us.
So it's going to take a hell of a lot more than a boycott to fix the wolf problem.
To add to this.^^

After going to these big game season setting meetings we just had and the wolf issue being brought up. It sounds like we can't have a year round season on them on public land because it will open the opportunity for lawsuits and possibly get the season shut down. There is a lot of areas we already have the year around season on private land.

idcwby

O.K., what would you suggest F&G do that would make a difference to wolf predation? If you remember back in the day, it wasn't hunting, bounties or trapping that got rid of the wolves. It was poison. Yep, poison, and that's federally banned. IMO, your going after the wrong dudes. You need to go Federal and more specifically, the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Wildlife Services. Good luck with that. They don't care what you think.

Brush up on your wolf hunting skills and enjoy the extended season and additional opportunities! I don't know about Idaho unfortunately, but in Montana you (Resident or non) can get up to 4 wolf tags per year with a VERY long season (Sept-Feb). Oh, and did I mention that a decent wolf pelt goes for between $2-500 dollars depending on condition and coloration? That's capital for new shooting gear!

Even so not many wolves are killed here every year and most areas I hunt are extremely over carrying capacity for Elk and deer. Some areas 2-300% over which is why Montana has the extended shoulder seasons.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.