Why not a faster twist in the 270 Winchester

gyrfalcon

The .223 and some 6.5 mm as I recall have come out with faster twist barrels in some factory rifles, to accommodate longer heavier bullets. Considering the still very popular .270 Winchester, I could imagine increasing its versatility and popularity with longer heavier bullets, for longer range shooting and bigger animals like moose and elk. Why the stubborn insistence on only the 1:10, which no longer stabilize newer longer bullets by Barnes or Berger and even barely, the older 160 Nosler Partition semi spitzer.

gXdTZ1z.jpg

I'm with you, i don't think it'd cause one issue if factory rifles started selling a 1-9 twist or even a little faster. You'd likey be fine with all but the light, fragile varmint bullets, and who shoots their 270 at varmints anyway? I think the 90tnt is about as light as you can buy, but most reloaders don't use their 270 for varmint. I've a 22-250 for that, or other options....

FEENIX has a pretty BA 270 AI. Does mean things to coyotes.
Feenix .270AI threads helped tip the scale for me to build a fast twist .270 for myself. I didn't go the AI route just because I didn't want to add a variable into the performance evaluation that I did not have previous experience with.

This was the build:
.270 Win
27" Preferred Barrel 5R Remage
Light Palma contour
1:8 TW
Holland 0.250 recoil lug
0.290 free bore added to accommodate 156HH the targeted bullet I "preferred".
Rem 700LA trued by Mark Penrod - Penrod Precision, Manchester, IN
Triggertech trigger
Magpul 700 stock with std bottom metal

This gave me 3.63 max COAL with the 156 HH about 0.024 jump.

Sig Sauer brass, FM 210, 3.61 COAL, RL26 maxed out 156H at 3284 and settled in at 3185 as my final hunting load with < 1/2 MOA. The 170 EOL shot well to at 3075 but I need to do more load work and maybe after 1st of year will follow up. I ran some other bullet ladders on LRH as well.

If interested, plenty of discussion on LRH.

Last edited:
Feenix .270AI threads helped tip the scale for me to build a fast twist .270 for myself. I didn't go the AI route just because I didn't want to add a variable into the performance evaluation that I did not have previous experience with.

This was the build:
.270 Win
27" Preferred Barrel 5R Remage
Light Palma contour
1:8 TW
Holland 0.250 recoil lug
0.290 free bore added to accommodate 156HH the targeted bullet I "preferred".
Rem 700LA trued by Mark Penrod - Penrod Precision, Manchester, IN
Triggertech trigger
Magpul 700 stock with std bottom metal

This gave me 3.63 max COAL with the 156 HH about 0.024 jump.

Sig Sauer brass, FM 210, 3.61 COAL, RL26 maxed out 156H at 3284 and settled in at 3185 as my final hunting load with < 1/2 MOA. The 170 EOL shot well to at 3075 but I need to do more load work and maybe after 1st of year will follow up. I ran some other bullet ladders on LRH as well.

If interested, plenty of discussion on LRH.
Yeah that 170 EOL load was pretty amazing.

The .223 and some 6.5 mm as I recall have come out with faster twist barrels in some factory rifles, to accommodate longer heavier bullets. Considering the still very popular .270 Winchester, I could imagine increasing its versatility and popularity with longer heavier bullets, for longer range shooting and bigger animals like moose and elk. Why the stubborn insistence on only the 1:10, which no longer stabilize newer longer bullets by Barnes or Berger and even barely, the older 160 Nosler Partition semi spitzer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them catch up one of these days but it might just be a few. The present craze/darling however you wish to look at it is the various 6.5's.

The good news is I don't know many who are serious shooters who are running factory barrels so it's easy to change. A year or so back I did a 270 with a 9 twist. It worked just fine.

I've shot the 165 Matrix thru a 10 twist and at least in that barrel it did just fine. The 160 Nosler has always been a rock star in 10 twists for me going back a long time.

My Ultra Light Arms is a 10 twist with a #2 contour 24" barrel. It absolutely dotes on the 160 Nosler as well the 140 Bergs.

Lastly at the elk camps that I visit I see a ton load of .270's usually well used 700's, 70's and 77's. Those guys are generally shooting some kind of factory ammo and or loading Noslers. And you won't find many of these guys who give a rats about twists....but they do kill a lot of elk:)

Barreling one up is easy peasy, just order a 9 twist or 8 and get after it.

Hopefully we'll see more factory 270 Win offerings in the future since the 6.8 Western came on the market. While there are more barrel manufacturers offering faster twist .277 bore barrels they are still not that common.

I like the idea. Basically rifles would change first….sell some 1:8.5 or 1:8… Then people would make 160gr-170gr ammo.

Then a herd of gun writers would proclaim the 270 Win is the best deer & elk cartridge ever causing a surge in gun sales.

Then people with 10 twist barrels would claim they can shoot the new ammo. Then people would pile on that the new twist was just marketing.

They people would start reporting that their 270 Win accuracy is bad…others would report keyholing with "new" ammo. Then the ammo would be called inaccurate.

Yea, I see no risk here!

I like the idea. Basically rifles would change first….sell some 1:8.5 or 1:8… Then people would make 160gr-170gr ammo.

Then a herd of gun writers would proclaim the 270 Win is the best deer & elk cartridge ever causing a surge in gun sales.

Then people with 10 twist barrels would claim they can shoot the new ammo. Then people would pile on that the new twist was just marketing.

They people would start reporting that their 270 Win accuracy is bad…others would report keyholing with "new" ammo. Then the ammo would be called inaccurate.

Yea, I see no risk here!
It would be easy enough for manufacturers to print the suggested barrel twist rates on the box of ammo. It could be marketed as "New life for an AMERICAN classic cartridge.", which is would be. A risk for keyholing? Sure but the barrel twist disclaimer on the box would negate the liability. Any complaints could be handled like the question "Why would you stick your finger in the lighbulb socket?".

"If" you can find it, Steyr makes a .270 Win Pro Hunter with a 1:8.7" twist. (SOURCE: Mr. Einar Hoff of Steyr).

Steyr .270 1.7 twist query response.JPG

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited: