why not 30-06

The AI does a bit better with the high BC bullets, especially with a custom chamber where you can load the bullets not to eat up powder capacity.
My smith custom orders all his reamers to his preferred specs, and he believes in the Berger bullets, so I'm sure he ordered it for them. He also orders tight-chamber reamers, that only allow about .00015" of expansion. So it saves your brass life by not working it so much between expansion (firing) and contraction (re-sizing).

My smith custom orders all his reamers to his preferred specs, and he believes in the Berger bullets, so I'm sure he ordered it for them. He also orders tight-chamber reamers, that only allow about .00015" of expansion. So it saves your brass life by not working it so much between expansion (firing) and contraction (re-sizing).

I thought that is what annealing was for :D Everybody should have at least one Ackley.

t

I thought that is what annealing was for :D Everybody should have at least one Ackley.

t
I felt the same way...Until I wound up building 3 of them. Hahaha!

BTW, the .25-06 Ackley is WELL worth the effort to form the brass from .270 brass. With slow burning powders, i'm making my .257 Wby about a waste of money to own. Which is why I'm dabating on sending it in to Wby to make it a .264 Wby Mag. (6.5/.257 Wby), so I can reuse my brass. :D

Love the tried and true 06. up against a 308 it shines. The old 06 has won its fare share of ribbons. And lots of loads that are proven.

Mudrunner is like me with the .30-06 Ackley, I've had one for several years. I built mine off of a Blued Remington 700 ADL, converting it to a BDL with a 26" Stainless Kreiger, Heavy Bull Sporter Contour or #6 contour, with a Timney Trigger in a Laminate Stock.

This is what mine looked like just back from the smith.
008.jpg

I upgraded the optics to a Leupold MK4 Precision Rifle 4.5-14x44mm Side Focus
478.jpg

Shot this Buck with a 168g Berger VLD the first year I built the rifle. I tested them for Berger that year. This was the first animal I harvested with a Berger. 338yds, double lung.
025.jpg

Shot this Cow Elk in 2011 with the Same 168g Berger VLD at 360yds.
006.jpg

Left to right is 7STW, .30-06 AI, 6.5-06 AI, .243 AI and .243 Win
Dans guns II 010.jpg

In my rifle I've worked up 3 loads. A 165g Sierra Gameking, A 168g Berger VLD, and 190g Berger VLD. The powder most accurate in all bullet weight is H4350. I am able to safely get 3125fps for both the 165s and 168s. !90s are a bit slower at 2900fps. With the 190g VLDs it retains over 1000ft/lbs of energy out to 1100yds. I'd probably limit the 168g VLDs to 900yds. The furthest I've taken any game with this is a cow elk at 525yds with the 168g.

I need to practice more to extend my range, but it is certainly do-able.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts