why not 30-06

Bubbahfd

Im new to the long range scene. Im planning on building a 300 win mag for a long range rig but I was just curious.....whenever I was browsing through the forum and I see very little to no mention of a 30-06 for long range hunting/shooting say out to 1000yrds? What am I missing? Seems to be a pretty good 30cal option....can be loaded with great bc bullets, good velocity and I assumn readily availability in brass to reload. What and I missing? Would a custom type rifle say with a blueprinted remmy 700 action thats been solidly bedded with a quality barrel and stock not offert the same 1000yrd accuracy as say a 308 or 300win with the same qualities?

Yes a 30-06 built with similar level of quality will produce similar accuracy results. Terminal performance will get debated, but I think most would agree to give the 300 WinMag the nod as you're talking LRH not just shooting.

With the availability of some of the newer bullet designs and some of the newer powders, I think the 30-06 deserves a second look. Of course, the same components can be applied to the various .300 Magnums to provide a similar boost.

Still, using the latest reloading components, the good ole' 30-06 deserves more respect than it gets, IMO.

Though his writing is mostly geared to long range target shooting, I highly recommend Mr. German Salazar's writings on the subject. You may find what he has to say to be eye-opening. He has posted a lot of information regarding the 30-06 on his blog: The Rifleman's Journal

With the availability of some of the newer bullet designs and some of the newer powders, I think the 30-06 deserves a second look. Of course, the same components can be applied to the various .300 Magnums to provide a similar boost.

Still, using the latest reloading components, the good ole' 30-06 deserves more respect than it gets, IMO.

Though his writing is mostly geared to long range target shooting, I highly recommend Mr. German Salazar's writings on the subject. You may find what he has to say to be eye-opening. He has posted a lot of information regarding the 30-06 on his blog: The Rifleman's Journal

I agree a very good reference.

Why not the 30-06? Because it is not sexy like all the new wizz-bang calibers. But just because there may be snow on the roof don't mean there is not a roaring fire in the furnace.

Bubba- the 30-06 is my favorite . i have more 30-06s than any other caliber rifle. it will do all a 308 will do and more. lapua brass is available and i use use it in everything but my garands. . the last two elk i shot were killed with a 30-06. i have shot against German Salazar. Simply amazing rifleman. his studies are vast, thorough, detailed , painstaking. the 300 wm i have found to be very forgiving in find a "good" load the only rounds better the .222 and 308. if hunting and 1000 yards the 300 is going to have an advantage over the 30-06. the 30-06 will surprise you though. roninflag

Why not the 30-06? Because it is not sexy like all the new wizz-bang calibers. But just because there may be snow on the roof don't mean there is not a roaring fire in the furnace.

Ta-Da! As unfair as it is, this is pretty much dead on accurate. It just doesn't have the super-cool factor behind it. Accuracy is just as good as the 308 or 300winny, is closer to the 300 than the 308... For 1000yd hunting, terminal performance is the key & the 300 wins. For 1000yd shooting, the '06 is just as accurate.

t

Thanks for the answers guys.....seems as if its over looked for new "fancy" rounds. Its kinda funny I asked this same question on my other forum hunting site that im a member of TBH and the answers we pretty opposite of yalls lol nost of which were "the 308 is ballistically superior" and "it has a rainbow arc".....but that is my bow hunting website so ill trust yalls word on the subject. I might have to build a 30-06 rig instead just to be different than the masses. I do have a rem 700 30-06 sitting in the safe thats beggin for some custom work.......

Thanks for the answers guys.....seems as if its over looked for new "fancy" rounds. Its kinda funny I asked this same question on my other forum hunting site that im a member of TBH and the answers we pretty opposite of yalls lol nost of which were "the 308 is ballistically superior" and "it has a rainbow arc".....but that is my bow hunting website so ill trust yalls word on the subject. I might have to build a 30-06 rig instead just to be different than the masses. I do have a rem 700 30-06 sitting in the safe thats beggin for some custom work.......

It looks like those other fellers have some wires crossed... heck, this day & age, if you were to build an '06 you would be different than the masses!lightbulb

I am really interested in building one now. This would be my first rifle build. I dont possess the skills yet to reach a 1000 yet but I have shot pretty consistant out to 500 with my factory a bolt 300 win. I would want to build this rifle as accuate as possible for a 1000yrd rifle but thats as far as id go for now and as far as hunting id limit to say around 6-800 yrds with the 30-06. I figure thatd be effective out to there on deer.

You can pick up those Savage 111 30.06 Cabelas exclusive guns on clearance for around 349 bucks. They have a decent stock you can bed and an accutrigger. You can get cheaper with coupons and points if you are into that kind of thing. If you have a pile of children growing up it is a economical way to "arm" them.:D You just may have to buy out the lower 48 Cabelas if you breed like me. They also had 270s 25.06s 257 roberts and some other stuff I don't remember. You can get one of those and if you get sick of the 30.06 jerk it off and/or change the bolt face and you can go about any round you want. Lets the kids decide later. Also you can pick up military/once fired/pulled ammo/brass dirt cheap so you can have fun/teach others to shoot without burning up that "factory" abolt. Oh by the way if my factory abolt 7mm RM owns steel out to 1200 as of right now, yours I bet will too. gun) And I don't know if this is crazy or not but if you shoot some .30 cal bullets with not so good BC won't that be a good judge of how good/bad of a wind reader you are?

Before you have any custom work done to the 30-06 you have sitting in your safe, I would just mount a good scope on it and concentrate on load development.

You might be surprised at what you find out about your rifle. Load development, a trigger job, and a bedding job could be all you really need to reach to and past 1000 yards.

One of my favorite rifles is a budget build
New takeoff 26" 308 varmint profile barrel
HS precision sendero stock
Long action 700
Tuned factory trigger
I reamed the 308 barrel to 30-06 ackley. A 30-06 reamer will not clean a 308 chamber
Shoots extremely well and I did gain over a standard 30-06

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.