Why no talk about Shilen Barrels?

shortgrass

In the past 2-3 months I have had the opportunity to bore scope several (5) Shilen Match barrels. These have been customer supplied barrels, and I haven't chambered 1 yet, as I have other work I need to finish. They scope good, no tool marks. This has been a 'mix' of both SS and CM. There seems to be no mention of Shilen on this forum. Many other button rifled manufactures get mentioned, some that aren't even lapped.

I used one one a .308 build and it shoots fantastic, I broke it in with a tried and true 168 gr match king load I had and with no load work up it was shooting in the .3's which is as good a my skills can perform. It also broke in quick with minimal copper fowling. They are on my short list.......I think internet can pu-pu barrels that aren't mainstream, but like Zen said no news=good news.

I used one one a .308 build and it shoots fantastic, I broke it in with a tried and true 168 gr match king load I had and with no load work up it was shooting in the .3's which is as good a my skills can perform. It also broke in quick with minimal copper fowling. They are on my short list.......I think internet can pu-pu barrels that aren't mainstream, but like Zen said no news=good news.
I currently have one on my 6.5 X 55 that I finished last year. If I do my part it will print under .5 MOA throwing 130 Bergers out the tube. I have attended their swap meet a couple of time now and it great to talk with and watch the fella's that build the barrels. I have ordered barrels before from others but the lead time can be six months or longer.
Ace

Shilen makes nice barrels, I've had several over the years, and currently have one on my custom 6.5 CM along with one of Shilen's DGR actions that are made by Stiller.

Every year Shilen has a swap meet at their facility in Ennis, TX. You can bring all of your unwanted gun related stuff and sell / trade it for free, as well as take a tour of the plant and see how they make their barrels. They also have some great deals on their barrels there.

15-20yrs ago, I used a lot of Shilens barrels, I always ordered the "Select Match". I scope every barrel I get before setting it up in my lathe for chambering. At first I was pleased with how they looked inside, and most of all how they shot. Then, I started finding tool marks in some. I'd send them back and they'd be lapped again. After several like that, I started using Hart. The barrel making business changed hands, and as of Jan. of 2016 when the new owners took over, all barrels are now lapped. All SS was lapped by the previous owner, but you had to request and pay 'extra' to have a CM lapped. In the mean time, I was using Harts, Kriegers and many others. It's just been within the past yr that I started to look at Shilen, again. The 'proof' will be in how these 'new' Shilen barrels shoot. I may make their swap meet one of these years. I'm just far enough away it'd be a 2 day, over night trip.

I have several Shelin barrels, some from barrel blanks I chambered and some complete drop in barrels for Savage. I have calibers from 416, 375, 358, 338 EDGE, 30 (308, 300RUM 30-06, 300WM), 270, 243, 7mm (on order), 223 and 22-250. All are sub MOA shooters. I use barrel nuts on all of my rifles, even on a custom setup in my AR-15, so I can change barrels quickly and easily set headspace. I would recommend the completed barrels or the blanks ($200) to anyone. Great Texas company.