Why no love for the Sig optics?

I bought a Tango 4 4-16 to go on the rifle I'm having built; it is replacing the Vortex HST 4-16 that it wore as a 7mm-08. I had been looking at the Vortex GenII PSTs, but got a deal on the Sig. Comparing the glass side by side the Sig beats my HST. Without yet having it on a rifle, I like it. As for the grey color, I had planned on Cerakoting the rifle a medium to dark grey anyway, so I just told the smith to match it as best he could. I'm looking forward to my first custom rifle, and so far, I am looking forward to having the Tango 4 on it. I will say, though, that I wasn't as impressed with the Whiskey series, even the Whiskey 5.

I bought a Tango 4 4-16 to go on the rifle I'm having built; it is replacing the Vortex HST 4-16 that it wore as a 7mm-08. I had been looking at the Vortex GenII PSTs, but got a deal on the Sig. Comparing the glass side by side the Sig beats my HST. Without yet having it on a rifle, I like it. As for the grey color, I had planned on Cerakoting the rifle a medium to dark grey anyway, so I just told the smith to match it as best he could. I'm looking forward to my first custom rifle, and so far, I am looking forward to having the Tango 4 on it. I will say, though, that I wasn't as impressed with the Whiskey series, even the Whiskey 5.

Which is crazy, because the whiskey5 and Tango6 are their "top shelf" scopes - made in Japan etc. tango4 is philipines or something isn't it?

Which is crazy, because the whiskey5 and Tango6 are their "top shelf" scopes - made in Japan etc. tango4 is philipines or something isn't it?
I passed on the Tango4, got the NF SHV 4-14x50 ffp moa, The hst is more like $600-$800 the tango4 is like a $1,000. The little bit more money for the shv is worth it.

The Tango 4 is "Designed in Oregon" and "Assembled in the Philippines". I haven't had a chance to look through the Tango 6, so it might be better. The Whiskey 3 and Whiskey 5 were both clear and seemed good quality, but the feature set is what I liked with the Tango series. It seems a step up from the HST, and this will be my first FFP scope.

The Tango 4 is "Designed in Oregon" and "Assembled in the Philippines". I haven't had a chance to look through the Tango 6, so it might be better. The Whiskey 3 and Whiskey 5 were both clear and seemed good quality, but the feature set is what I liked with the Tango series. It seems a step up from the HST, and this will be my first FFP scope.

The whiskey 5 should have better glass than both the whiskey 3 and tango 4 - SIG told me the glass in the whiskey 5 and tango 6 were the same HD stuff. Difference is SfP vs FFP and exposed windage vs capped etc. I never looked through a tango 4 or whiskey 3 tho, I took their word that their hd stuff was noticeably better.

The whiskey 5 should have better glass than both the whiskey 3 and tango 4 - SIG told me the glass in the whiskey 5 and tango 6 were the same HD stuff. Difference is SfP vs FFP and exposed windage vs capped etc. I never looked through a tango 4 or whiskey 3 tho, I took their word that their hd stuff was noticeably better.
Maybe it is my eyes, but I didn't notice any difference between the Tango 4 and the Whiskey 5 as far as glass quality. Those two both seem pretty good. The Whiskey 3 didn't seem as good, but easily on par with the HST. From what I have seen, any of them would work well.

I had a bumpy road with Sig, but they did take care of me pretty well.

Got a Tango4 6-24 a year ago. Arrived with a bad battery cover, which caused intermittent contact on the illuminator (flickering, extremely short battery life). Returned and fixed in about 2 weeks.

From there until about 2 weeks ago, the scope worked great for at least 1000 rounds of 300 Win. It wasn't babied, and went quite a few miles on my back. Dusty, dirty, desert shooting, etc.

3 weeks ago, the illumination turret sheared off...
IMG_3973.jpg

Just came loose when firing. Called Sig, and they didn't have a replacement in stock, so they offered to send me an "Open Box" Whiskey 5-25. Fairly decent upgrade from the Tango4, so I told them to send it. Called Monday, Whiskey arrived Wednesday. They also expedited me a new ballistic turret.

But...The replacement scope was completely mashed! See picture below.
IMG_3985.jpg

Needless to say, I wasn't going to accept it, and emailed the guy immediately. I mentioned I was frustrated, and he basically said "What can I do to make it right". In what I thought was a long shot, I said "Brand new Tango6 4-24". To my surprise, since the Tango6 is double the MSRP of the Tango4, he said "On its way".

In the end, I called off the Tango6, as it's just too ginormous for my use, and with the recent price drop, I figured I couldn't sell it for enough more than a Whiskey 5 to make it worth the hassle.

In summary. Sig QC seems not so great, but customer service appears top notch. Busted Tango4 and mashed Whiskey 5 means a failure at two points (manufacturing and shipping). That being said, my scope failed on Sunday, and I had a brand new, significantly nicer scope attached to my rifle by Friday night.

As for the Whiskey 5-25, it's a really nice piece of glass. Judging by the mashed one they sent me, which worked just fine, they are also pretty tough (whatever did that to the scope was a SUBSTANTIAL hit!). I'm very happy with the image quality, which is considerably better than everything else I have (Bushnell Elite 6500, Vortex HS-T, and the Tango4), and all the knobs/dials are smooth and definitive. As long as it doesn't also die in a year, I'm happy with the outcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts