why no love for the 284. win?

born2kill

A local gunsmith and his brother love this round more so in a long action then a short but they have both and run both regularly! Just curious why there isn't much hype for it here when it seems like every 4th person loves the 7mm rounds but never hear the 284. win. In a long action specific, not a ton of powder consumption for a good velocity range (2850-2950) some a hair higher with the 180 bergers. I know the one brother gets the 180's in his short action going around 2870fps which seems like a deadly combo in a short action platform. Is there something im missing with this caliber?

It had the unfortunate problem of the 7mm Rem coming out at about the same time and with the higher velocity the Rem just ran away from it in sales.

It will definitely get the job done but the case has been far more successful than the parent caliber ever was or will be.

You can do one in an AI improved and pick up a little more velocity and get equal or better barrel life getting very close to the 7mm Rem in velocity but for all that trouble one might as well just go with the rem.

It's not that there's anything inherently wrong with it, there are just better options available.

It had the unfortunate problem of the 7mm Rem coming out at about the same time and with the higher velocity the Rem just ran away from it in sales.

It will definitely get the job done but the case has been far more successful than the parent caliber ever was or will be.

You can do one in an AI improved and pick up a little more velocity and get equal or better barrel life getting very close to the 7mm Rem in velocity but for all that trouble one might as well just go with the rem.

It's not that there's anything inherently wrong with it, there are just better options available.

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I started long range hunting in a serious way in the early 70s.
By serious i mean dialing scopes, as before that time i wasent aware that was possible.
At that time the 162 gr 7mm Hornady match bullet was the best long range bullet
available.
In PA the 300 wby case necked to 7mm was the hot ticket gun for long range hunting. Today there are lots of good bullets for lots of calibers.
So average Joe hunter (might) get to go hunting maybe just a few days each year.
If all goes well, including the weather, he (might) see a deer to shoot at.
Could be it (might) be at a distance his gun can handle well, then again it (might) not be.
So more and more guys are moving away from cartridges that (might) get the job
done to ones that can get the job done.
I still have two 7x300 weatherbys and one of them will be with me tomorrow for the opening day of PA bear season.
But the place ill be will offer no shot beyond about 750.
Nothing personal against the 7mm mind you.

Is there something I'm missing with this caliber?
Perhaps not having one. Other than that, I don't think so. Seems Jerry Tierney thought is was a pretty good option to go with.

NBRSA 1K Winner Jerry Tierney

"And, as long as we're stirring controversy here, I don't uniform primer pockets, I don't ream flash-holes (other than deburring Win brass), and I don't religiously scrape out the primer pockets after each firing (I will if they're real dirty). I've tested and I have not been able to demonstrate these processes deliver better accuracy or better scores." Jerry Tierney
SWEET!

I know theres a lot more out there for the 7mm, and i know there is better rounds for hunting. But the 284 seems like a good middle group. Light on recoil, easy on powder then most of the big boys, good velocities with the 180's to do some good long range hunting. I am thinking about maybe putting one together. I love the 300. win mag but also love the 7's so the 7mm-300. win mag really catches the eye for a serious long range hunting rifle and the 284 for more target and light weight hunting rifle.

I have 2 in 284.

No factory rifles currently chambered in .284 Win.

The .284 and .284 Shehane a very popular amongst 1000 yard F-Class competitors. You'll see a lot of them on the line, and a lot of them winning. With the Berger 180 hybrids, they are very hard to beat. You'll see very very few 7mm Rem Mags.

-nosualc

I've got the 284 bug. in the process of screwing together a savage long action with a criterion 284 win match barrel 28" bull. waiting on my dies and brass now, hoping for a really accurate rifle to hone skills and compete lightly with. I figure it'll be more than enough for whitetails out to 1000, and maybe some yotes.

The 284 win is a wonderful cartridge for a lightweight hunting rifle. Its shape is just about perfect with a 35 degree shoulder. It was a wildcatter's dream come true back in 1963.

Melvin Forbes has stated that the 284 win is the most popular chambering for his model 20 ultralight rifle.

I just wore out my third barrel. The rifle is an old M77 tang safety Ruger with a McMillan lightweight stock. Barrel length for first three barrels was 23". For what it is worth this rifle was a 6mm Remington. This particular rifle feeds the 284 like a dream slow or fast. Several years ago I had my gunsmith lengthen the box magazine to 3.1" for a useful OAL of approx. 3.050"

This time I will be ordering a reamer to my specs. I think it is a great cartridge for a lightweight short action rifle. I am even considering making a heavy barreled version.

Over the 31 years I have owned this rifle I have used 120, 140 and 150 nosler ballistic tips, 120 hornady, 140, 150, and 160 nosler partitions and the 162 A-max. I have taken dozens of big game animals with it including elk, deer and javelina. Also shot many coyotes and jackrabbits. Never saw the worth of shooting a 180 Berger as the 168 VLD or classic will just about duplicate all down range performance for hunting with the exception of retained energy but even that is close to the 180s.

With Lapua making the 6.5-284 there is no issue finding brass. No disparaging remarks on this wonderful cartridge from me! I have also used the 6mm-284 and 25-284 and have even considered making a 30-284.

you always see the F-class boys shooting it just confused me why you never see any of the boys on here shooting it. Seems to be a fairly accurate cartridge on its own and thrown together with some good parts i figured it would make a great little hunting rifle! I did a Montana Elk hunt a few years back and next time i go down id like a better long range hunting rifle to go with me. So i was thinking of putting one together. Realistically i think im trying to find an excuse to build one. Seeing as my win mag would work great! and its what i would probably take :p but hey an excuse to build is good enough for me!

I was debating on putting one together for a little while as my Gun smith highly recommends that cartridge as well! I went against that and about to finish up a 260. rem build instead as i really want a 6.5 cal to shoot! I still would like to put one together but there is a few things id like to get done before. and After the 260. rem is done, i can start a 300. win mag build and maybe use my current to build a 284. win. Dream big i guess

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.