Why no love for Nosler E-Tips??

Jluck

I see so many projectiles mentioned over and over but never any love for the Nosler E-Tips. I've used many and harvested a few animals with them with good results. What's your actual experience with them on paper or game?

I've tried them in 3 different cartridges and couldn't get the accuracy results I desired, and they run slower than like lead weight bullets. I think there is better technology out there for monos

There are much better monos if that is your thing. If your not required to use monos and want better long range performance, there are much better long range bullets that not only will perform better at extended ranges but also have a much better bc and retain more energy and speed while maintaining less wind drift.

They are a "good enough" close range option if you don't want to spend the money for the superior Hammer monos. But they aren't anything special.

Since they are lead free, are there really that many people shooting them?
Yep, more people shooting monos all the time, by choice or law. That's the part that surprises me. Hammers and Barnes are mentioned daily... monos have their place and are here to stay.

I've tried them in 3 different cartridges and couldn't get the accuracy results I desired, and they run slower than like lead weight bullets. I think there is better technology out there for monos
Thank you for the actual experienced answer.

They're a pain in the butt. Every lot is so drastically different you have to start load development over again. They're also harder than a barnes or gmx.

Not a huge fan of monos but favorite drivers are E Tips and Hammers in 26 Nosler, 270 WSM and 300 WSM.

I've had so.much trouble with the Hornady GMX 6.5MM 120gr bullets...I felt I would suffer the same fate with them!

I tried 200 GMX in no less than 6 rifles...6.5 Grendel (2 - AR platform), 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 6.5-06 and 6.5x284.

I spent a lot of time and components with not that good of results. So I passed on trying the same thing with E-Tips...

It really does not help to forward an opinion based on something other than experience. The monos are excellent. Of course, they lack the SD of leaded bullets and what that gives to long range performance but I've tried Barnes TSX and TTSX and Hornady GMX with excellent performance on the range and in the field. I have cooked up hunting loads in 270WSM, 308, 270, 338WM. They have opened up without fail on pronghorn and elk. I am not surprised at your E Tip results given their profile and design but I would say they are less popular than Barnes and Hornady. Did you ever recover a bullet?

It really does not help to forward an opinion based on something other than experience. The monos are excellent. Of course, they lack the SD of leaded bullets and what that gives to long range performance but I've tried Barnes TSX and TTSX and Hornady GMX with excellent performance on the range and in the field. I have cooked up hunting loads in 270WSM, 308, 270, 338WM. They have opened up without fail on pronghorn and elk. I am not surprised at your E Tip results given their profile and design but I would say they are less popular than Barnes and Hornady. Did you ever recover a bullet?
I have recovered only one on an elk. It unfortunately didn't perform very well in that case and only that case, petals sheered off and half the bullet was under other side hide. We have probably killed 6 or 8 animals with them now, all others were pass through. I know some bullets from all manufacturers are going to have failures. I can accept that. I've been in Barnes ballistic lab and actually seen some of their failures. That was neat.

Last edited:
I worked with the e-tips for a spell years back with my 300win... I had a good load, but it proved temperamental as to conditions (1/2 moa one day and 2 the next type of stuff) so I quit it and went back to Hornady...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.