Why no bonded version of the ELD-X?

Wouldn't it be well worth the extra money. Think about all the expenses we occur for a quality hunting trip. The cost of the bullet shouldn't be the deciding factor. $8000 hunt and a $1.25 bullet???
To people like us it certainly would be but we're only about 1-5% of the market at most.

The average hunter/shooter isn't going to pay the premium for a bonded version.

What about flipping the design of the Federal TLR or Trophy Bonded bullets? What I mean is an all copper front portion, that expands at low velocities like a Barnes LRX, down to a partition that separate it from the remain lead filled portion of the bullet? Lead would help keep the length down for standard bullet weights as compared to an all mono design. Not sure how well it would work from a stability standpoint with lead in the back?
Trying to get a bullet made in such a matter to stabilize would probably be next to impossible because of the substantially different sectional density between the front and rear ends. It's tough enough to make a stable long nosed bullet with a lead core to begin with.

Ive watched several utubes on the ABLR in different calibers at 100yds they do loose a lot of weight but the backend of bullet stays intacked in vidoes Ive seen.

Trying to get a bullet made in such a matter to stabilize would probably be next to impossible because of the substantially different sectional density between the front and rear ends. It's tough enough to make a stable long nosed bullet with a lead core to begin with.
They did it with the FailSafe, no?

O

You'd have to ask Barnes to be sure but I think it had to do with them shooting terribly and not selling.
I would think the mrx died due to the cost. I don't think too many were willing to pay the premium for it. It might have survived if it was released now, and it had a higher BC.
I really liked those fail-safe bullets. Likely the toughest bullet on the market then, never really a long range bullet the tip was too big and they were flatbased. They shot well in a couple of my rifles, great penetration. Open similar to a barnes tsx, but that steel capped lead core pushed the bullet through game very well.

SST, A-Max, V-Max, ELD-X, ELD-M. Lots of pointy Hornady bullets have come and gone. One bonded variety. Mixed accuracy reviews for it. Maybe Hornady would just rather not have to deal with bonding.

Any experience with .308 200 grain SGK's at impact velocities between 2800 and 3000? Or if like me you are using them in your 300wsm reloads at a MV of 2870fps?

I read this a little too late. I bought some ABLR for a 28 nosler to hunt white tail with. Wanted a bonding round that wouldn't destroy any meat. Should have just got regular AB. $200 for 2 boxes 😑

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.