Why isn't this bullet?

G

Why isn\'t this bullet?

I almost started to produce my own bullets in order get the perfect expansion.It seem obvious to me.Start with something like a Matchking.We already know the strong points of the MK's.But now lets take the nose,say the first 25% of the bullet and make it really thin.Too fragile? Fine. Plug it with a polymer tip.Now what we should have is a bullet that is just about perfect. If it will shoot.
I heard a friend complaining the other day that he shot a small whitetail doe in the throat straight on.With his 7mm mag. He was dissappointed with the lack of expansion. I wasn't really surprised by the bullets performance.There probably wasn't more that 5 inches of meat there. This would have been the perfect situation for the explode-a-point matchking.The nose would have blew up like a varmint bullet.Perfect for that situation.
Lung shot on whitetail? Nose blows up then the rest of the bullet takes over.Middle section moderately expands and makes a big hole in the lungs.Solid base punches through.
The solid base also comes into play on a straight away shot.
The only bullet I think comes close is the partition.But the B.C. isn't that good and I can't get the things to shoot well anyway.So what am I missing here? Why hasn't this bullet already been made?
Or has it?

Re: Why isn\'t this bullet?

It is. They call them SCIRROCCOS.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif

actually the hornady SST.. I havn't shot any yet but I plan on it...

So you have personal experience or friends who have tried them on small targets as well as bigger targets and had good results?Please elaborate.

I shot a small elk at 100 yards with a 7mm 150gr scirocco. The elk was laying down, one shot through the lungs and it stood up then tipped over. When inspecting the carcas it was hard to determine what exactly happened. The only way I can make sense of it is that just the way she was laying the bullet grazed the shoulder ripping a massive hole in the input side then went into the cest cavity and had split into two separate peices because there was a small exit hole (about .5 inch) by the last rib, and a larger exit hole (about 1 inch) just behind the opposite shoulder. With signs of small fragments between the two exit holes. I have never shot any aminals laying down at strange angles like that before so I can't say how it compares to other bullets, but hey, meat is in the freezer!

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: MTBA ]

My new "perfect" bullet is the 165 SST. Hammered a big mule deer this year with it out of my '06. At 175yds, the bullet took out a large section of rear spine between the ribs and the back leg. A follow up shot in the throat at the base of the neck at 100yds blew out a sizeable hole.

Very happy with the quick expansion and penetration. Very similar performance to the Interlocks which I also really like.

If not pushed too fast, should be an ideal bullet for big game near and far.

An added bonus is the SST match grade accuracy and high BC.

Enjoy...

Jerry

Jerry,the SST looks very promising.I did some reading on it,and it sounds a lot like what I have been looking for.Have you been able to find a source for the B.C. and have you done any accuracy tests?

Oops,just found the BC at the Hornady and came across your other post concerning accuracy.

With limited experience with this bullet, thus far I am very satisfied with the accuracy and performance on game. I wouldn`t hesitate to use the 140gr. 6.5 SST on up to elk size game with great confidence.

WB: I agree with you regarding the 6.5 140 SST. I have taken 2 whitetail bucks and 2 hogs in the last week with a 264 WM. Expansion, penetration, and accuracy were all excellent. Think I have found my bullet for the 264. Have also had good success with the 154 SST in a 7Mag and the 139SST in a 280. Jim

From what I've seen the .308 and 7mm Scirroccos do precisely what they're advertised to do and do it well. They are accurate and the .300 Wea and 7x57 AI deer kills were quick. Neck shot with the 7mm through the vertabre w/o deflection. 1.5" hole outbound. Lung shot at 250+/- yds w/ the .300, same story.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts