Why isn't there a 6.5 x 404

f graham

Why isn\'t there a 6.5 x 404

It seems like the 404 and 416 are great parent cases for high volume cartridges. I would think the 6.5 x 300Wby would have been replaced by something fatter and possibly more efficeint, maybe more accurate. But I know 6.5 shooters who still go with the respected old cartridge, 6.5 WWH.Has anybody already gone down this road and ran into a snag?

Re: Why isn\'t there a 6.5 x 404

Black Mesa Rifles has a 6.5 BME that is essentially a 6.5X404J Improved. The one report I heard was from a very happy customer but I don't know anything about the ballistics of it. The web sight is: www.angelfire.com/ok3/blackmesa/
but doesn't tell you much.
Someone surely has some more info.
Joe

Re: Why isn\'t there a 6.5 x 404

Hello Frank

The 6.5 diameter bullets have had many expermentations done using larger cases, especially in PA.

The 6.5/300 Weatherby is overbore enough to go to a larger case with more powder capacity. It seems the 300 Weatherby case is about max for the 142 or 155 gr Bullets.

The boys at Williamsport even went up to a 6.5/378 Weatherby but the efficency was terrible plus the added throat erosion and barrel wear was unbelievable.

The 6.5/300 Weatherby is about the largest case a person would want to go with on the 6.5 diameter bullet and still maintain decent accuracy.

It works fine the way it is. The old saying would apply here, "If it's not broke, don't fix it"

Long live the 6.5/300 Weatherby for a LR rifle.

Darryl Cassel
smile.gif
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.