Why is there not much talk about Weatherby Rifles?

It just seems to me that Mauser and its modern variants are just not as accurate as R700 and its variants. Maybe it's the round receivers vs flat bottom receivers. But I know all my R700's when pillar bedded shoot lights out without doing a whole lot more. Weatherbys just usually provide a whole lot more horsepower at a high cost.
That is a very broad statement. I do not know any facts to say otherwise, but I supposed you have enough experience with the Mauser vs R700 to base this on. Like you tested 30 designs of each with the only difference being the receiver and R700 variants shoot better. As far as more horsepower at higher cost, isn't that the fact in everything, not just rifles?

Thanks Guys, Regarding the Mausers. I have a couple , including a 98 that I had made up into a target gun with a very heavy 29 inch Hart Barrel. An Inherent problem with the Grand Old Mauser is the incredible slow lock time it take for the firing pin to hit the primer. This Great action was built for battle( 1895 to 1900 ) and needed to be reliable. In its day it was the cutting edge, but it cannot compare to the fast lock time of a Rem 700 or any of the other modern day actions. Research that point , see what you can find. Classic, and strong, and very handsome YES!! , just not Fast by todays standards. Special firing pins and spring kits are available to enhance the action. This is a fully engraved FN 98 action in 30-06. German built .

Attachments

• IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
That is a very broad statement. I do not know any facts to say otherwise, but I supposed you have enough experience with the Mauser vs R700 to base this on. Like you tested 30 designs of each with the only difference being the receiver and R700 variants shoot better. As far as more horsepower at higher cost, isn't that the fact in everything, not just rifles?
It's not a broad statement. If you were to view the equipment lists of all competitors in highest level of competition, your not going to find many shooting Weatherby, Mauser and Winchester factory or cloned actions.
They did all the testing for us.
It's Borden, Bat, Barnard, PGW and many new evolving designs. I'm sure the list evolves every year. Weatherby has shot some records in various feats. Year over year, it just doesn't appear on equipment lists very often.

Last edited:
It's not a broad statement. If you were to view the equipment lists of all competitors in highest level of competition, your not going to find many shooting Weatherby, Mauser and Winchester factory or cloned actions.
They did all the testing for us.
It's Border, Bat, Barnard, PGW and many new evolving designs. I'm sure the list evolves every year. Weatherby has shot some records in various feats. Year over year, it just doesn't appear on equipment lists very often.
So we are comparing Custom rifles with off the shelf factory rifles. And you said, you would have to pilar bed the Remington before it is a shooter. My 60 year old Weatherby and 25 year old Winchester Classic are shooters straight out of the factory. No bedding. Load and shoot.
I Believe the first Weatherby rifles were build on Mausers, (might be wrong) but are the current Weatherby considered Mauser variant actions? I don't know, I am asking, (9 lug, around, standard extractor, one of mine does not have the safety on the bolt)
It is OK to have favorites, mine are Winchesters, Weatherbys and Sigs, yours might be remingtons, (maybe the idea started as a remington) others prefer Sako, you name it. I don't have a single custom rifle. But let's compare apples to apples. not beans to cherries. On all these rifles competitors use, what percentage is Remington based?

Great Debate Guys, as a Kid working in a big Gun shop and Outdoor store. The debate raged on and on from Years ago. Remington's had a big fan following and the Weatherby guys, were the more affluent customers. Often the arguments made no sense to a kid standing behind the counter. Remington had "THREE RINGS OF STEEL", Weatherby had the" Strongest Action . Short Bolt Lift ,and Nine Locking Lugs on the bolt." Both rifles were well built and more than safe enough for any hunting loads. It was the 'Elegance" of the Weatherby that actually annoyed many rifle owners, and the fact that the ammo was double the price of the Remington Green and Yellow box. So we sold 10 Remington's to every Weatherby . So I say this again, Mr. Social Hunter , Buy the rifle YOU REALLY WANT ,IN THE CALIBER YOU REALLY WANT , not the one you Buddy has , because he says the other is "too fancy " and " you don't need that High Gloss Bluing and fancy stock. Need has nothing to do with this. I do not want to go to my grave wishing I had bought the rifle I dreamed about, instead of the one my friend , or my Uncle ,said was good enough .

By the way, Weatherby had great luck with their Weatherby Mk XXII .22 LR and .17 HMR ba$ed on the Anschutz model 64 action and beautiful Weatherby stock with rosewood highlights. I have one in the .22 RF and it is a tack driver, amazingly accurate for a sporting .22 rifle. I should have bought one of the .17 HMR when I had the chance. Other than, my .22 S.L.LR and .22 Mag Winchester 9422's my XXII .22 LR is by far my goto rat popper.

Weatherby XXII 1.jpg

So we are comparing Custom rifles with off the shelf factory rifles. And you said, you would have to pilar bed the Remington before it is a shooter. My 60 year old Weatherby and 25 year old Winchester Classic are shooters straight out of the factory. No bedding. Load and shoot.
I Believe the first Weatherby rifles were build on Mausers, (might be wrong) but are the current Weatherby considered Mauser variant actions? I don't know, I am asking, (9 lug, around, standard extractor, one of mine does not have the safety on the bolt)
It is OK to have favorites, mine are Winchesters, Weatherbys and Sigs, yours might be remingtons, (maybe the idea started as a remington) others prefer Sako, you name it. I don't have a single custom rifle. But let's compare apples to apples. not beans to cherries. On all these rifles competitors use, what percentage is Remington based?
I agree with Bob Wright. To expand on his comments, look at what was used in competition before custom actions were widely available: Rem 700 pretty much ruled except the Mod 70 (post 64 I might add) was popular at 1000 yards.

By the way, Weatherby had great luck with their Weatherby Mk XXII .22 LR and .17 HMR ba$ed on the Anschutz model 64 action and beautiful Weatherby stock with rosewood highlights. I have one in the .22 RF and it is a tack driver, amazingly accurate for a sporting .22 rifle. I should have bought one of the .17 HMR when I had the chance. Other than, my .22 S.L.LR and .22 Mag Winchester 9422's my XXII .22 LR is by far my goto rat popper.

View attachment 288862
I think you should box it up and send it to me.

I agree with Bob Wright. To expand on his comments, look at what was used in competition before custom actions were widely available: Rem 700 pretty much ruled except the Mod 70 (post 64 I might add) was popular at 1000 yards.
So they just went to the LGS, picked up and stock Remington 700 off the shelf, slapped a good scope, sighted it in and went on to the competion. RIght?
I have never done anything to my firearms personnaly other than to install a scope, load and shoot. But even I can replace a barrel on a Remington with a good barrel to make it shoot. Thats why the action is popular. And it doesnt hurt that is also dirt cheap. I can make a Mini Cooper fly on the track, I just have to put in a corvette engine. It will still have the Mini Copper emblem on it.
You have facts to discuss, let's see them. But opinions based on feelings, I pass. You lacked the facts to change mine, and I lack the energy to change yours.

Good Shooting! Have fun! Shoot what you like, I neither gain nor lose anything.

Think of this. Walker designed R700 is the tree trunk and all the branches of improved actions formed from that. Cylindrical receivers, modular triggers all had their genesis from that early design. It just works.
It's a mighty big tree today.