Why is there not much talk about Weatherby Rifles?

I've always been interested in some of their more exotic calibers like the 257 but as someone who doesn't reload it's not a realistic option and the factory boxes are tough to come by and priced like gold.

I've always been interested in some of their more exotic calibers like the 257 but as someone who doesn't reload it's not a realistic option and the factory boxes are tough to come by and priced like gold.
I feel the opposite is true. If I didn't hand load and just needed a very reliable hunting rifle, I would purchase a weatherby with the premium ammunition.

I feel the opposite is true. If I didn't hand load and just needed a very reliable hunting rifle, I would purchase a weatherby with the premium ammunition.
Interesting, maybe I'll have to consider picking one up. I do admit I have limited experience and by nature like to go back to the same restaurants I know and love and that "restaurant" for me is Tikkas and Hornady or Nosler ammo.

Interesting, maybe I'll have to consider picking one up. I do admit I have limited experience and by nature like to go back to the same restaurants I know and love and that "restaurant" for me is Tikkas and Hornady or Nosler ammo.
If it works for you why change? Weatherby and Winchester work for me, so I don't change. You find the Tikkas you like, I'd say stick with them

Row Weathery was a great shooters engineer and he did some very good things. His 300 weatherby set the stage for most all new magnums. He designed high velocity rounds and they are great but not pressure velocity efficent. .. In his chambers they are completely safe because of the freebore and the fact he used special brass...His mark V are beautiful- the vanguards are= to the remington 700 actions and are designed for safety. Again his best round is his 375 weatherby.
It will surpass the 375 ruger a little bit and that is a great round.
I know pushing belted rounds today, especially with younger shooters who think belts are evil but I think the 375 Weatherby makes a lot of sense. It is similar to a 375AI in performance in that you can shoot the World round available 375 H&H if needed and as said above you have a little more vel. than the 375 Ruger but not the crazy blast and recoil level of a .378 Wea.

I would be tempted with one of those properly speced.

I've had extremely good luck with weatherby vanguards. I'd like to buy a mark v but will probably build off a custom action. But all of the vanguards My brother and I have purchased are easy .5 either with premium ammunition or some handload tweaking.
Were these standard Vanguards with syn. stocks?

I had a 300 Wea. MK V with the thin 24" barrel back in my college days, it shoot very well if you allowed it to cool, I had to sell it, wish I had it now.
I just bought a Vanguard in 6.5PRC. It is a std. syn. stock. I love the fact it is a long action, mucho seating room. I don't know about that stock, it is fully bedded.

I. Own. 4 if you. Count the. Weatherby. Semi. Auto in22. LR ! Three. Mark. V rifles. One is. A ultralight. That comes with a. 24 in. Fluted S/S Krieger barrel! ! It's. In. 270. Win! This rifle is my go to Whitetail deer rifle for all hunting on the East Coast ! Another one is a Mark five deluxe with a 26 inch barrel chambered in 270 Weatherby Magnum. It shoots so incredibly well.The third rifle is a mark five in 300 Weatherby mag. Also a 26 inch barrel that I had magna ported back in the 70s.All three really fine big game rifles no complaints ever , no problems ever I am so happy to own them and I really enjoy shooting them. I would recommend anyone looking for a big game rifle at least consider the Weatherby line of rifles!!! My. Bhunying. Buddy has an Accumark in 30-06! What a comfortable rifle to. Shoot

I would like to suggest to Mr. Social Hunter 88, if you did get into hand loading, the 257 Weatherby Mag you really want would/could, become one of your favorite hunting rifles for all deer sized game. Not to mention having fun shooting tiny groups at the 300 yard range. At 100 bucks a box in todays market, you could purchase 10 to 12 boxes of Factory Ammo over the next 3 or 5 years , or , take that same money and buy what you need to make your perfect hand loads for a very long time. I made that decision back in 1980 when I received a Weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby Mag as a Christmas gift from my parents. I remember buying my first RCBS Rock Crusher ( or Some thing ) big green press, and my first set of Dies, and shell holder. I was hooked !!! Going to the range every week that I could afford to buy a box of ammo. Saving Brass!! Reading EVERYTHING about reloading!!! I remember so well shooting my first two mule deer and an antelope in 1981, in Wyoming, with my own loads. What a thrill!!! Buddy ,Do yourself a favor, get the rifle you want, in the caliber you want, and make prefect loads for it and shoot much more often.

It just seems to me that Mauser and its modern variants are just not as accurate as R700 and its variants. Maybe it's the round receivers vs flat bottom receivers. But I know all my R700's when pillar bedded shoot lights out without doing a whole lot more. Weatherbys just usually provide a whole lot more horsepower at a high cost.

Recent Posts