Why is there not much talk about Weatherby Rifles?

...the only reason I have my Remington is because all the custom work was already done to it (blue printing, trueing, rebarrel, timney elite, MDT chassis). Otherwise I would own purely Weatherby. There is a .300wby and a 6.5-300 both in accuguards that I have considered purchasing.
The most fancy platform (Vanguard)? No, but they are reliable. You're right though, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much after market support as there is for Remington, Savage, etc.

One advantage I do believe Remington has over Weatherby is their bolt design. My gunsmith explained the differences between the two, I don't recall the specifics. In short, he said that you are safer behind a Remington than you are a Weatherby if you experience a case failure. It boiled down to the differences of a safety breach (remington) versus a cone breach (weatherby). The safety breach has more obstacles for hot gas and molten brass to get by whereas a cone breach has minimal obstacles, allowing for hot gas and molten brass to reach the shooters face easier. Weatherby has vented the sides of their bolts to aide in gas redirect if this were to ever happen.
But if you're a safe reloader who doesn't push limits, or you shoot factory ammunition, what's the difference? Shoot what you like better.
You or your gunsmith have Weatherby and Winchester reversed. Weatherby uses the same bolt nose design as Remington.

You or your gunsmith have Weatherby and Winchester reversed. Weatherby uses the same bolt nose design as Remington.
I asked him to clarify that last night after work. I had them reversed.
He dove in to the pre-64 versus post and leading up to 1970 on the Winchesters and their designs.

I too am a huge Weatherby fan. Ahead of the times for a long time. I have had several rifles from all eras and never had an unacceptable Mark V. I really like the Ultra Lightweight model, the Super Predator and Super Game Master and the synthetic Safari Custom. The wood stock guns have all shot well for me, just not as well. My speed freak days have kind of past me by, but If I had big money in a hunt I would be carrying a Mark V ULW in either 300 or 257 Weatherby or a the safari in .416Wby.

I have several Weatherby's, both in the Mark V's, and several customs on other actions. Two beautifully stocked Mark V's that I choose not to hunt with as I just don't want to mess up the wood. I have a 7mmWby that shoots light out and dearly love. But when its time to hunt, I almost always reach for my custom .340. This pic was two weeks ago.
IMG_9299[1].JPG

Another possible factor is that the Weatherby Magnum cartridge chambers were cut with a rather long freebore.

The long jump made getting benchrest accuracy something of a challenge. Also, folks tended to go with light weight barrels to help with stalking. The whippy barrels also did not help precision.

BTW I know this from having strived for 1" groups in my L±H MK V 378 in the late '60s.. Best I could do was about 125 - 1.5" at 100 yards.

Shooting lightweight sucker from the bench was interesting!
I hear you. I have a .378 with no brake and I love it!

I have a 257 in a vanguard and really like it. Deer hunter with it 100% of the time and loved it!! Then I found a MK V 300 Weatherby and I let my good friends oldest hunt with my 257 and I started hunting with my 300roy, really enjoyed it and shot 1moa with factory ammo at 100yds. And I am now going to use the action as a donor action for a new semi custom build!

Row Weathery was a great shooters engineer and he did some very good things. His 300 weatherby set the stage for most all new magnums. He designed high velocity rounds and they are great but not pressure velocity efficent. .. In his chambers they are completely safe because of the freebore and the fact he used special brass...His mark V are beautiful- the vanguards are= to the remington 700 actions and are designed for safety. Again his best round is his 375 weatherby.
It will surpass the 375 ruger a little bit and that is a great round.

My Weatherby career started with a little Howa Fiber Guard 270WIN.. Truly a delightful gun. l let a neighbor borrow it and never got it back.. Next came a Mark V in 270Wby Mag...WAY too noisy for me... Turned it into a Euro Mark in 30-06.. Love that satin walnut... All are/were accurate... The accuracy KING is an American Mark V in 7-08 Super Varmint Master with its Kreiger fluted barrel and HS-Precision Stock... This SVM bolt has SIX lugs instead of nine...

I have never owned any Weatherby rifles or calibers but have shot a few.
Here are a couple of Weatherby stories. I was witness to the first and my hunting buddy the second.
This was back in the late 1970's before E-mail when you actually had to send a letter to Weatherby to get authorization to send a rifle to them for repair. Fellow thought he got a lemon because he though after spending all that money on the Mark V it should shoot better than 1 to 1 1/2 inch shooting factory ammo. It was a 300 Weatherby. He sent in a letter complaining and in a couple weeks he received a postcard from Weatherby and all it said was, "Weatherby makes a hunting rifle not a target rifle."

Another story is a very wealthy person came into my friends sporting goods store and purchased three Weatherby rifles, Zeiss scopes and bunch of other stuff. He was going on an African Safari. My hunting buddy did all the scope sighting in for this shop. This fellow wanted his rifles ready to go when he got to Africa. The rifles were 460, 340 and 300 Weatherby mag.
My hunting buddy was a retired Marine and a real rifle shot. He said that it was all he could do to squeeze the trigger on that 460. He made sure that the scope was as close as could be by bore sighting and then looking through the bore and the scope on a 25 yard target.
He was shooting 500 gr Barns solid Weatherby ammo that was $10 a round.
He fired a good shot at 25 yards but the recoil was AWESOME. It caused his ear muffs to fly off his head and it almost knocked him off the stool he was sitting on that was made out of 2x8's. He was sitting on the front straddling the 2x8 seat that was 2 1/2 feet long and it slid him almost off the seat. He said that he had fired rifle grenades' from an M1 Garand off his shoulder and their recoil was light compared to this 460. He sure was glad that he had his USMC shooting coat on with the good shoulder pad.
His shot hit just a bit low and he figured that it should be just about on at 100 yards where the owner wanted it zeroed. He set up for a 100 yards shot. It was all he could do to squeeze the trigger he said but the bullet cut the center out of the target. It took him a while to get up enough nerve to shoot just one more shot to make sure everything was right because the fellow was going to be shooting dangerous game. He managed to squeeze off another shot and it cut the first bullet hole. Good enough.
While he was putting this rifle away and getting out one of the others this fellow that was always at the range and was a "know it all" pulls in.
He comes over to see what my buddy is doing. They talk a little and the fellow ask how much recoil the 460 had. My buddy said "it has a bit" and that was all he said. The fellow ask if he would let him shoot it and he said OK it is up to you if you want to or not.
Mister know it all jumps at the chance. This fellow is in his early 70's.
He sets up to shoot on the 100 yard target my buddy had been shooting on. He touches off a round and it literally knocks him off the bench but luckily does not drop the rifle. My buddy rushes to him and takes the rifle and tries to help him up. The fellow slaps his hands away from him and says "don't touch me you SOB". Fellow gets up holding his shoulder with his arm hanging straight down and goes to his truck and leaves. That was the last word this man ever spoke to my buddy. If my buddy was at the range and he came he would turn around and leave. If he was at the range and my buddy showed up he packed up and left.
By the way my buddy said that the 340 Weatherby felt like shooting a BB gun compared to the 460.
Oh, the fellow killed a bunch of game on his hunt. I just happen to be present when he came into my friends store when he got back and told us about it all. Wild story with the 460 and an elephant.

I really do not consider the Vanguard a "Weatherby", since it is a totally different action ( Howa). Great rifles and affordable, absolutely! I had a custom 338 RUM built on a Howa action once, I killed a 32 inch Aoudad with that thing! So, not dissing at all...:)

My one and only pure WBY was an Ultralight Accumark in 240 WBY. It was a delight! I gave it to my Pastor down in Texas and he killed some great Axis with it on a hunt with me. I have used/built several WBY calibers...,240, 257, 340, 375 and really liked them, but in Mod 700 or Mark X actions. I would just rather "build what I want" for the same money I would spend on a new Mark V, thats just me.

The Mark V is a show peice , the vanguard is a workhorse and this explains all the fuss.. I think if Weatherby had not pur out their Vanguard they would be out of business now." RevJim" you are right on- and you understand the value of the weatherby 375- Kill a 100 inch horned Gar buffalo in Australia one shot. a 26" bbl on a mark X with a Harry Mcgowen bbl.

I think there are a few reasons that weatherbys don't get a lot of attention:
1. They are expensive
2. Their ammo is expensive, but recently they cut prices by 30 percent I think (about 50-60 dollars a box now) instead of about 75-85
3. Not as user friendly to reload (belted, brass doesn't last as long)
4. Most reloaders and bench rest shooters don't like a lot of freebore
5. There isn't much aftermarket support, and lately people love to customize their rifles
6. And a lot of people don't like the action, especially the idea of 6 or 9 lugs.

But weatherby has a lot to offer:
1. They offer some of the lightest back country rifles made (see backcountry Ti)
2. They now offer rifles that are very comparable to christensen arms and fierce. Trigger tech trigger, AG composite carbon fiber stock, cerakote, good brake, bfs carbon fiber stock option, titanium action option, etc.
3. They have the safest and arguably best factory action
4. They can be very accurate, one factory rifle printed a .06 3 shot group at 100 yards. Yes, that's right 6 thousandths of an inch. This was shot with a 300 wby mag in a rifle with a bfs barrel.
5. Their cartridges really are some of the flattest shooting and hardest hitting. Take the 300 wby for example, it drops about 4 inches less then a 300 win mag at 500 yards (with a 200 yard zero), but has as much energy as a 338 win mag at 500 yards.
6. Their actions offer the shortest bolt throw that I'm aware of 54 degrees
7. And their traditional deluxe models are truly a work of art in my opinion.

Now we have some talk about the Weatherby Mark Vs. they are truely good rifles but a bit pricey for the average hunter. So the management wanted a hunter market seller, thus the Vanguard. again like many firearms companys sometime the plane Jane out shoost the the wall hanger rifles.