Why is there not much talk about Weatherby Rifles?

I passed on a beautiful mk v deluxe in 257 wby for 950$ brand new in 2017 that I regret not snatching up. Did however grab a vanguard deluxe sporter with very nice wood for 349$ in 18' and somehow scored a Vx3i cds for it for 179$. Ended up selling it to my BIL at cost for his first deer rifle. He loves it to death.

I passed on a beautiful mk v deluxe in 257 wby for 950$ brand new in 2017 that I regret not snatching up. Did however grab a vanguard deluxe sporter with very nice wood for 349$ in 18' and somehow scored a Vx3i cds for it for 179$. Ended up selling it to my BIL at cost for his first deer rifle. He loves it to death.
That's a hell of a deal on scope and Rifle!!

I think we talk about 'em. Seems like there's more than a few .257 Roy fans here. Heck, it's like SR-71 Blackbird of rifles!

So true...I want a new 1-7.5 twist for my 257 so bad I cannot hardly stand it...but mine shoots 115s so dang good I hate to jack with it. It has about 750 rounds down its tube so probably has another 600-700 rounds..and the way I have been shooting that is another 15 years LOL! My good German and Dutch heritage will not let me splurge if it is not worn out...

Really like their cartridges...not a fan of their rifles unfortunately.
Had a Mark V Deluxe that was less than half price of RRP in 340 Bee handed to me when I worked in a big gun store here. Really like the cartridge, just not the rifle. It had magnificent wood, just didn't fit me very well and it tried to scope me on several occasions.
I sold it for more than what the RRP price was listed as at the time.
Now, I build mine on Win Model 70 Classic Stainless H&H models for the full length cartridges and EW's for the rest.

Cheers.

There is a strong following on here for them. I think the things that have kept them from being more widely accepted are due to the average shooter. Less aftermarket support, fewer gunsmiths that are willing to work on them, and most people think they only come in Weatherby calibers, so if they buy factory ammo, its a definite turn off. Its a common problem with anything considered "proprietary". But overall, my experience with them has been positive, and they have made some beautiful rifles.

To me, with Weatherby rifles it all about the nostalgia. I like the "older" ones - like you'd find at an estate sale. In this case, 1972. To me, it's really cool to take a rifle that has been packed away in an attic for 45 years and breathe life into it. Especially with your own hand loads.

I was 5 when this one came out of the Howa arsenal. Blissfully unaware, as I rode around on my Big-wheel, that I would be united with such a beauty so many years later.

DE80CDE9-EA5C-40D0-BE28-0B596CBAEFCA.jpeg

I'm ACTIVELY shopping for my first MarkV. I have Carbon Fiber stocks on my other custom rifles and now want a rifle with beautiful wood. I'm 68 and have loved them since I was a kid. I cant afford the $5000 price tag and year wait to have a custom wood stocked rifle built.

To me, with Weatherby rifles it all about the nostalgia. I like the "older" ones - like you'd find at an estate sale. In this case, 1972. To me, it's really cool to take a rifle that has been packed away in an attic for 45 years and breathe life into it. Especially with your own hand loads.

I was 5 when this one came out of the Howa arsenal. Blissfully unaware, as I rode around on my Big-wheel, that I would be united with such a beauty so many years later.

View attachment 200081
She's a beauty for sure.

i personally have never fired one but i know there isnt ever much talk on here about them. Is it due to not a ton of aftermarket support (im assuming that never really looked) and we all like messing with rifles lol. Are they just not a well built rifle for the price? Not accurate? Just wondering.
Not as accurate as many others at that price

i personally have never fired one but i know there isnt ever much talk on here about them. Is it due to not a ton of aftermarket support (im assuming that never really looked) and we all like messing with rifles lol. Are they just not a well built rifle for the price? Not accurate? Just wondering.

My goto deer rifle was an original Vanguard in '06 for 35+ years... now my nephew uses it and I have a new V2 in 6.5 Swede
Never had a service problem here in Southern Ontario, old V1 had to go to Elwood Epps for a bolt recall a few years back.. parts took awhile to get here, but that was a border issue
Photo tells it all for my V2
5 shot group at 100 w sandbags on a bench

Attachments

• 20170527_122301 (1).jpg
    20170527_122301 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 450
  • 20171014_171830.jpg
    20171014_171830.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 438
Another possible factor is that the Weatherby Magnum cartridge chambers were cut with a rather long freebore.

The long jump made getting benchrest accuracy something of a challenge. Also, folks tended to go with light weight barrels to help with stalking. The whippy barrels also did not help precision.

BTW I know this from having strived for 1" groups in my L±H MK V 378 in the late '60s.. Best I could do was about 125 - 1.5" at 100 yards.

Shooting lightweight sucker from the bench was interesting!

A great rifle does not need much in the way of after market support. Gunsmiths make a living blueprinting actions and such. Weatherby MK V has a great reputation for strength. It seems all those lugs work just fine. Remington has its "three rings of steel" pitch for safety. Take your flashlight and look down the right side of the Remington 700 bolt: you will see there is an open path from the bolt face area all the way down the side of the bolt to the shooter. The Savage 110 blocks the bolt tracks with a strong follower behind the lug section of the bolt. I believe it is more protection for the shooter than the Remington maybe only matched by the Ruger American: no machined paths since the bolt fills the track in the action. I am not a gunsmith and have not studied ALL the actions you might come across. I would chose a Savage over the Remington 700 for safety from an explosive failure in the breech.

Recent Posts