Why is my brass being shaved by dies?

EXPRESS

It's once fired Norma .338 win mag brass, and sized in a new Forster full length sizing die. Cases are lubed wit Imperial Sizing Wax.

The ring of brass ahead of the belt is actually fairly substantial, and looks like it could offset the headspacing, but I haven't noticed any different in chambering or accuracy.

What is causing it, and do I need to get rid of the excess brass?
Is there anything I can do to remedy it?

Could it be an oversized chamber? Undersize die? Oversize brass?

There is something wrong.

I would interpret that as a sharp.edge on the bottom of the die where it should have been radioused and/polished.

A call to their support is warranted.

morning, have questions. due u fl ur brass evertime to shoot and reload?

1. look at the bottom of the ram on the press, see if the ram is bottoming out

against the resizing die? I had a rcbs 243 fl die start doing the same thing.

this was my fault for not properly adjusting the ram to the die. I noticed that the

brass had scratches in the bottom of the resized case. I had ruined the die not paying

attention to the finer adjustment of the fl stroke. I ordered a new full body die from

redding.

2. the shell holder u r using. does the shell center in the shell holder on the fl stroke.

the shell holder could b dirty r not centering when u r going thru the shell sizing

function.

thank u 4 ur ear.

just countrylightbulb

After checking and adjusting your sizer die, measure a fired case before sizing {above the belt where the shaving begins and 1/2 way to belt} compare this diameter against an unfired case. I have experienced the same thing after 1 or 2 firings with belted magnums in factory chambers. The only way to remedy this condition is with the Larry Willis collet die. It's an extra step, but I've saved many, many belted cases with this die.

do you have any other brand of die? If so first recheck the instructions to be sure that you have the die set right. Then lube and size another brand. If you get the same results there is something wrong and as stated above give a call to support. They may want you to send it back with 1 or 2 of the damaged brass.
Then again it just maybe the brass. I had some Remington 7rm brass that when FL sized the belts had the same shaving and when I put them into my collet die they where sticky to remove. So, I just tossed them.

Was this once fired brass fired in your chamber or did you purchase it "used"?

As mentioned, I would measure a sized and unsized case as well as the opening to the base of the die.

Do you have any unfired cases to measure and compare against?

do you have any other brand of die? If so first recheck the instructions to be sure that you have the die set right. Then lube and size another brand. If you get the same results there is something wrong and as stated above give a call to support. They may want you to send it back with 1 or 2 of the damaged brass.
Then again it just maybe the brass. I had some Remington 7rm brass that when FL sized the belts had the same shaving and when I put them into my collet die they where sticky to remove. So, I just tossed them.

I ment to type brand of brass, not brand of die

Ok; the brass is new Norma brand, fired once in my rifle, and resized once with new Forster FL dies. I do't have any other dies or brass for this caliber.

It seems like the solution might be to get a collet die, but what I can't get my head around is that the collet die is supposed to be used after FL sizing, so it won't save the brass from being shaved.

There is no noticeable or visible bulge in the cases.

This, to me is weird, I reload for 7mm rem mag .300win mag, .300wby .375H&H .458win .458 Lott .416 rem - a total of 7 belted mag calibers, the .375 .458 ammo all going through 5 different rifles, all with no problems.

I'm starting to suspect that it might be the die that is too tight at the base, and that the brass and chamber are fine...

Ok; the brass is new Norma brand, fired once in my rifle, and resized once with new Forster FL dies. I do't have any other dies or brass for this caliber.

It seems like the solution might be to get a collet die, but what I can't get my head around is that the collet die is supposed to be used after FL sizing, so it won't save the brass from being shaved.

There is no noticeable or visible bulge in the cases.

This, to me is weird, I reload for 7mm rem mag .300win mag, .300wby .375H&H .458win .458 Lott .416 rem - a total of 7 belted mag calibers, the .375 .458 ammo all going through 5 different rifles, all with no problems.

I'm starting to suspect that it might be the die that is too tight at the base, and that the brass and chamber are fine...
Ok, a collet die like the Lee die is not ment to be used with a FL die. To put any brass through a FL die then a collet die is a waste of your time and defeats the purpous of a collet die. What a collet die does is squeeze the "neck" of the brass onto a mandrel witch controls the neck tension, it will not do anything to the body of the fired brass. That leaves the body fire formed to your chamber increasing the case capacity (compared to FL sized brass) and also increases the life of your brass.
There maybe a collet die out there that squeezes the belt but I do not know of 1 or why it would be of any value.
Go to walmart and get a 20 pack of winchester factory loads shoot em, and size them if they also mar the belts and webs it is your die not the brass. If I did not say this before I will say it again, I like FC brass in my 7rm. But I did try some remington factory loads and the same happened to me when I fl sized them, not only that the belts would get stuck in my collet die. I tossed em.

The collet die I am talking about is a special body collet specifically for belted magnums.
The problem isn't with the die, because the fired cases are at the top end of the specs for dimensions, so it is a combination of thick brass and chamber specs.

morning, I have and use this die, works great. if u have a micrometer, before and after

u fire ur brass. mic the the magnum pressure ring. ck. the expansion of the brass

at the ring. if possible mic. the ring in four places. mark with felt pin. that way u can

check the concentricity and the expansion of the ring.

in normal situations we as reloaders do not fl size our brass after ever firing.

I do not. I fire my brass to size to the rifles chamber. I do not like preaching,

did u check ur shell holder? did u watch ur brass enter the mouth of ur resizing

die? did u have ur die adjusted properly. I had this happen to me.

is there a shiny ring just forward of the expansion ring?

thank u for ur ear!

just countrylightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.