Why is 20” ok for 7 PRC but not 7 Rem mag?

long barrels produce more velocity than short barrels , the difference is more pronounced with large capacity cases. bigger cases make more velocity but if you can have more velocity with a more efficient and way easier on your barrel case, just by having a long barrel I'll take the long barrel each time. A 308 can give good accuracy for 5000 rnds, a 300 wm for 1000 rnds, to shoot with good results at long range one should practice to see what affect the wind has on your bullet and 1000 rnds goes away pretty fast. Short barrels for long range atre a foolish fashion statement because you will get more velocity out of a long barrel and more velocity means less flight time for the wind to affect your bullet therefore short barrels are less affective than longer barrels.

I don't have a dog in this fight because I built a 338 SS, the larger the bore the less velocity you lose when cut a barrel back. Plain and simple pressure=velocity. I disagree with the above statement carry a suppressed 26" barrel see how long you carry it. Hunting accuracy is different than bench, plain and simple, dead is dead! Most cans are a 6", yes I do hunt out west, I live in Kalispell, MT. I don't pay hunting guides so I am not showing up picking out a bull/buck. The new prc line is going to be successful because the tighter chamber tolerance and factory ammo is great! Which the 7 RM is lacking can you throat it out, yes you can buy this, but it involves a gunsmith. Plus upgrading the bottom metal to accommodate a bullet that is loaded longer than sammi specs. A lot of people hate on hornady ie (6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 prc and 300 prc). Simple fact that you can buy factory ammo that shoots sub MOA is what Sells these cartridges. Plus the fact the army is using the 6.5 creedmoor and 300 prc through history the armed forces influenced the firearms industry.

I agree with above in regard to hunting accuracy is different to bench accuracy and I constantly in this forum advise people to get off the bench, unless you are interested in benchrest games or intend to pack a bench into the area you hunt shooting off the bench is a waste of time and time would be better spent learning to shoot field positions. As for accuracy the length of the barrel does not influence accuracy unless the barrel gets too thin relative to its length. I would never sacrifice 6 inches of barrel length to put a can on a barrel, the extra velocity gained by a long barrel is a far greater advantage for a hunting rifle than a can would ever be. I have heard it claimed game won't be frightened away by the report of a rifle with a can but if you have ever been in the pits pulling targets you would realize the supersonic crack the bullet makes as it flies over is just about as noisy as the muzzle blast

ve
My thought process on shorter barrels is you don't loose as much with lighter bullets as you do with heavier bullets. The heavy for cal bullets will excel with longer barrels and slower powder to take advantage of the longer barrels. Then there is magic powders like rl26 that seem to find a way to burn when on paper it shouldn't.
MMMM rl 26. I've seen it once upon a time.

I have heard it claimed game won't be frightened away by the report of a rifle with a can but if you have ever been in the pits pulling targets you would realize the supersonic crack the bullet makes as it flies over is just about as noisy as the muzzle blast
I have witnessed the effect of cans on all kinds of game and it is significant. To the point that I will always pick a gun w a can where legal. I'll shoot a 20" (any caliber) w a can over a 26" wo a can.

Cans are the best thing to happen to hunting since the gun.

long barrels produce more velocity than short barrels , the difference is more pronounced with large capacity cases. bigger cases make more velocity but if you can have more velocity with a more efficient and way easier on your barrel case, just by having a long barrel I'll take the long barrel each time. A 308 can give good accuracy for 5000 rnds, a 300 wm for 1000 rnds, to shoot with good results at long range one should practice to see what affect the wind has on your bullet and 1000 rnds goes away pretty fast. Short barrels for long range atre a foolish fashion statement because you will get more velocity out of a long barrel and more velocity means less flight time for the wind to affect your bullet therefore short barrels are less affective than longer barrels.
I must be a fashionable son a gun then,,, cuzz my 22" fashion statement makes 308's and 300 WM's cry to mommy even if they wear a 26+ barrel!

I have witnessed the effect of cans on all kinds of game and it is significant. To the point that I will always pick a gun w a can where legal. I'll shoot a 20" (any caliber) w a can over a 26" wo a can.

Cans are the best thing to happen to hunting since the gun.
100% concur!! ever since i started shooting suppressed .. it was eye opener/game changer.

Last edited:
I have seen game animals run off if missed ,come closer ,not care and stay put its preferable to kill them when you shoot at them so if they are dead I don't think it matters how much noise you are making. Last year my grandsons got buck feaver and shot at a buck 5 or 6 times and he never traveled more than 150 ft before getting hit and dying so it probably takes a lot of different critters to make a determination of how much noise matters to them. The length of the barrel does not matter for accuracy as long as it keeps the bullet supersonic at the range you want to shoot. cutting off a barrel decreases how much velocity you will get especially with cartridges that have large powder capacities relative to bore size.If you have a 30-06 and have a 26 inch barrel you will get the same velocity or nearly so than a 300wm with a 20 inch barrel. The 30-06 will give you 3500 rounds before it needs replacement the 300wm about 1000, if one is trying to get all the advantage you can get for long range why would you cut off a barrel to diminish your chances of hitting your target. The more velocity you have means less time in the air for the wind to affect your bullet. elkhunter338 there is a 600,800,900,and 1000 yd match in Vale, oregon on the 13 th of may its the best way to get sight settings and watch wind effect any body else who wants to take advantage of a very good opportunity let me know I don't want to volunteer them for 20 people but 5 or 10 would be good

I have seen game animals run off if missed ,come closer ,not care and stay put its preferable to kill them when you shoot at them so if they are dead I don't think it matters how much noise you are making. Last year my grandsons got buck feaver and shot at a buck 5 or 6 times and he never traveled more than 150 ft before getting hit and dying so it probably takes a lot of different critters to make a determination of how much noise matters to them. The length of the barrel does not matter for accuracy as long as it keeps the bullet supersonic at the range you want to shoot. cutting off a barrel decreases how much velocity you will get especially with cartridges that have large powder capacities relative to bore size.If you have a 30-06 and have a 26 inch barrel you will get the same velocity or nearly so than a 300wm with a 20 inch barrel. The 30-06 will give you 3500 rounds before it needs replacement the 300wm about 1000, if one is trying to get all the advantage you can get for long range why would you cut off a barrel to diminish your chances of hitting your target. The more velocity you have means less time in the air for the wind to affect your bullet. elkhunter338 there is a 600,800,900,and 1000 yd match in Vale, oregon on the 13 th of may its the best way to get sight settings and watch wind effect any body else who wants to take advantage of a very good opportunity let me know I don't want to volunteer them for 20 people but 5 or 10 would be good

Exactly right. My 28 inch 30-06 launches the 215 Bergers with N560 or RL17 at this velocity. A solid 600 yard critter getter.

Screenshot_20230329_142531_Shooter.jpg

My buddy's rifle when we cut his 300WM barrel to 20 inches, he runs the 215s at about 25 FPS faster than my 30-06.

Last edited:
I THINK, that is a good sign I don't know. So, with that is seems to me powder burn rate will answer the question. Shoot a short barrel rifle at night and see how much burning powder is blown out the barrel. If very little, why have a longer barrel. If it looks like the daylight sun, then a longer barrel might be better on MV.

The Longer The Barrel Length, The Faster The MV will be when comparing a 16" to a 26" barrel-That is not rocket science.

The question is, does 4" inches of barrel make that much of a difference in terms of killing, when comparing a 20" barrel to a 24" barrel (or a 22" compared to a 26") from Creed family/308 Family/06 Family/Short Action Mags, and even bigger...{I know I left some out}, really make that much of a difference down range at the majority of distances that the majority on this site kill big game at?

The majority of folks here do not kill big game very often beyond 650 yards

OP's question was about a 7 Rem Mag and a 7 PRC.

FWIW-I don't care what cartridge you use, what barrel length you desire, or whether it is a plain barrel, braked, or suppressed...As long as you enjoy your gun, and you are capable of killing stuff with it within your distance capabilities.

For those who are capable of shooting further distances on big game, I doubt that approx 120 fps (4" of barrel) is going to be the determining factor for you in the field.
If you are stretching things out, even farther out, simply increase your case capacity whether your barrel length is 20" or 24".

Who really cares if your throat life is a shorter with a larger capacity case???
AS long as you are having fun, and it performs to the level you want-ENJOY!
Barrels are a perishable item. It is not that expensive of an item compared to the amount of money spent for optics, etc...or the costs of many of the hunts you go on.