Why I Crimp

Yeh, I didn't want to make a brand new target.
Too lazy

I don't make them; I pin them. Simple matter of stapling a new target onto a piece of cardboard that acts as as a target holder. If the bullseyes are untouched then it works for me to simply tape over any bullet holes already on the target. The center of the bulleyes are my point of aim, but not necessarily my desired POI. I usually like to have my group centered about 1.5 inches high at 100 yards.

So I tack my target holder onto the target frame if there is one to tack it to.

Easy to see why one would tape over the holes, no?

iE5jkAP.jpg

I don't make them; I pin them. Simple matter of stapling a new target onto a piece of cardboard that acts as as a target holder. If the bullseyes are untouched then it works for me to simply tape over any bullet holes already on the target. The center of the bulleyes are my point of aim, but not necessarily my desired POI. I usually like to have my group centered about 1.5 inches high at 100 yards.

So I tack my target holder onto the target frame if there is one to tack it to.

Easy to see why one would tape over the holes, no?

iE5jkAP.jpg
SMH.gif

Do you ever have any issue collapsing the case shoulder/s trying to put that much crimp on?

Nope, with the FCD it uses the shoulder to move the collet which then transfers the forces horizontally to crimp a small point at the case mouth rather than a standard die which pushes all the forces down vertically on the case mouth which can buckle the shoulder.

Nope, with the FCD it uses the shoulder to move the collet which then transfers the forces horizontally to crimp a small point at the case mouth rather than a standard die which pushes all the forces down vertically on the case mouth which can buckle the shoulder.
It does not use the shoulder, it times off of your shell plate

3-4 thou. If we are not running a bushing die we often wind up sizing the neck without an expander ball. Needing to do this varies from die to die. Make sure you have a nice chamfer on the case mouth.

Where should the crimp be applied relative to the ridges on the bearing surface of the bullet - on top of the parabolic curve, down in the bottom of the valley between them, or somewhere in between ?

Where should the crimp be applied relative to the ridges on the bearing surface of the bullet - on top of the parabolic curve, down in the bottom of the valley between them, or somewhere in between ?

Somewhere in between. Since there is virtually zero bearing surface/shank seat your bullet so that the case mouth is part way up the PDR groove. Then use the crimp feature to fold the case mouth into the groove. Would work the same way using the crimp feature built into your seating die.