Why I Crimp

Butterbean, I use this die the same way. My loading is a hybrid of what you are saying, and it proves you are not wrong. Here is what I do: All depends on the setup of the rifle. I make the call by the scope that is on it. If the rifle has exposed turrets, I use premium brass that has been fully match prepped benchrest style, and load it using every trick I know just like if I was competing in 1000yd benchrest with HBN coated bullets. If it does not, I sight the rifle in for MPBR and load stock cases using standard dies along with a Lee FCD. Uncoated bullets. Out to 3-400yds they shoot just as well. Seems to depend more on the rifle with good loads. Those rifles may also shoot very well at long range, but I have no idea, never shot them far. The first way is a lot of work. Is it worth it? Don't know for sure but I FEEL BETTER doing it, and they do shoot very well. It is a hobby after all and the time preparing those loads is very satisfying. The other loads are more like work. Higher volume, and just get it done so you can go shoot. I would also throw it out there that if you don't want to neck turn this die will make your loads much more consistent if you use it right. I will say this: The Lee FCD turned both my .17 Remington Sakos into tack drivers. Without it both rifles struggle to stay in an inch @100. That is what sold me on the FCD. The .17's are as picky to load for as it gets.
If the Brass Prep is worth it to you by all means carry on, I did the same thing for a long time( Neck Turning and the whole 9 yards) and it will most defiantly not hurt anything, but I will say the in this past year on a whim I have just opened the brass ( Nosler, Norma and Peterson )and shot it and it did just fine, I do anneal every firing and I shoot Hammers in everything but my 308 but I always start with a very light crimp regardless, once a gain I am not a benchrest shooter nor do I claim to be but the FCD is a must for me in all of my applications

This conversation has gone on for years on this and different forums so I encourage anyone to try it and see.
My 223 bolt rifle does not get a whole lot more accurate with FCD and 308 bolt gun is close to the same for neck tension and fcd but on all 3 of my 300 win mags it makes a big difference and the 300 weatherby mag is also a big difference,270 Winchester 70 it makes a big difference and both 30-06's make a big difference,35 win makes a difference and a must for my 45-70.
Like Butterbean said tune for your rifle and see.
They don't cost a whole lot so get one for your gun and see if it helps.
Take your chrono with you and check es and see if it helps you.
None of us that use a fcd has stake in the company and would gain anything if you bought one.
If it works for you then good but if not thats ok too.
Have a great day.
Old Rooster

This conversation has gone on for years on this and different forums so I encourage anyone to try it and see.
My 223 bolt rifle does not get a whole lot more accurate with FCD and 308 bolt gun is close to the same for neck tension and fcd but on all 3 of my 300 win mags it makes a big difference and the 300 weatherby mag is also a big difference,270 Winchester 70 it makes a big difference and both 30-06's make a big difference,35 win makes a difference and a must for my 45-70.
Like Butterbean said tune for your rifle and see.
They don't cost a whole lot so get one for your gun and see if it helps.
Take your chrono with you and check es and see if it helps you.
None of us that use a fcd has stake in the company and would gain anything if you bought one.
If it works for you then good but if not thats ok too.
Have a great day.
Old Rooster
I've never seen it Hurt a load

Arrg: I have to stop reading ButterBean's posts. Convinced me to always crimp my rifle rounds so I checked all my die sets and found I needed a 243 rem and 7mm Magnum crimp die (had dies for all my other calibers).
You think primers as scarce? Try and find a Lee Factory Crimp die for sale. I tried Lee's website and all their recommended distributers and dealers, eBay and the internet. Nada!
243 rem and a 7 mm magnum dies are non-existent. Thought I found a 243 on eBay but seller accepted offer then immediately cancelled saying he did not have it to sell.
Just venting!

Arrg: I have to stop reading ButterBean's posts. Convinced me to always crimp my rifle rounds so I checked all my die sets and found I needed a 243 rem and 7mm Magnum crimp die (had dies for all my other calibers).
You think primers as scarce? Try and find a Lee Factory Crimp die for sale. I tried Lee's website and all their recommended distributers and dealers, eBay and the internet. Nada!
243 rem and a 7 mm magnum dies are non-existent. Thought I found a 243 on eBay but seller accepted offer then immediately cancelled saying he did not have it to sell.
Just venting!
I'll see what I can find

Just venting!
Yep. I think this particular thread has created a run on Lee FCD's! I've been looking myself for the past few weeks, and they are gonzo.😆

That's a joke, by the way. But they are almost non-existant.

Just venting!
True. They are getting hard to come by. Got one for my 300 WSM early last year. I finally got one for my 30-06 after buying an old 3 die set from butterbean. I'm selling the Lee FL sizer and seater. I finally found one for my .264WM at Midway. I'm set now.

One of my old friends that I taught how to reload in the 70's told his wife that after starting to reload and then test loads it kept him busy and out of bars where he could get into trouble.After she thought about it she encouraged him to buy something for reloading so you can stay busy.Ok if I must.
She was the one that told him to buy powder by the 8 pound containers so you will always have enough.
So reloading can help keep both of you married and happy.
Sounds good but there are some wives???????
Old Rooster

I'll see what I can find
Thanks for looking, however I am now whole. 243, 30-06, 303 British and 7MM Magnum Lee Factory Crimp dies. Yes they did cost 2.5 to 3X the Lee website price (who had none for sale) and one had to come from the UK.
But now I am good to go. Of course had I not bothered reading your thread I would have been dumb and happy. LOL
Thanks
Ed

Last edited:

Looking across the internet I stumbled onto this thread reviewing his results with the FCD and the consistent crimp. Based on his results it shows that a heavy crimp provided some pretty drastic improvements in his AR.

I'm going to be in the reloading room today making some dummy rounds for the Creed so I will set up the die and see if I can determine how much force gets added per 1/8th turn to see if I can get a baseline for reference.

Looking across the internet I stumbled onto this thread reviewing his results with the FCD and the consistent crimp. Based on his results it shows that a heavy crimp provided some pretty drastic improvements in his AR.

I'm going to be in the reloading room today making some dummy rounds for the Creed so I will set up the die and see if I can determine how much force gets added per 1/8th turn to see if I can get a baseline for reference.
Will you be using a Consistent Crimp ?

Yes, I picked one up a couple weeks ago but I've mostly been doing brass prep and not loading any ammo.