Why I Crimp

Well I've never tried it but I respect the OP's opinion enough I will try it just to see what effect it has on my accuracy. Will try a Lee LFC Die and post up at some point of my experiences, need to iron out a barrel problem first but will try anything that may improve my groups.

We have not seen a down side to crimping either. Our bullets like extra neck tension due to the lack of baring surface anyway. The Lee die is a much better system than the taper crimp in standard seating dies. The taper crimp works too, just have to make sure all the brass is exactly the same length so the crimp is consistent.

We have not seen a down side to crimping either. Our bullets like extra neck tension due to the lack of baring surface anyway. The Lee die is a much better system than the taper crimp in standard seating dies. The taper crimp works too, just have to make sure all the brass is exactly the same length so the crimp is consistent.
The 124HH had me really puzzled for a bit but once I figured out what was going on the Lee Collet Die and the Lee FCD brought the whole package together (The crimp die made the most gains), I'm still really amazed at the gains we made with the 124 just by crimping, I seriously think there is some more left in it yet, I just got a fresh box of 124's so I'm gonna give it a go, if not I am still thrilled with what I have now

The consistent crimp product is the only way I know to achieve repeatable crimp force and it uses the Lee FCD.
Brass consistency in both length and anneal state are critical for even results.
There was an interesting trial with an AR style 5.56 that showed significant Group size difference between ammunition crimped at different ft-lbs suggesting there is a sweet spot similar to seating depth.

The consistent crimp product is the only way I know to achieve repeatable crimp force and it uses the Lee FCD.
Brass consistency in both length and anneal state are critical for even results.
There was an interesting trial with an AR style 5.56 that showed significant Group size difference between ammunition crimped at different ft-lbs suggesting there is a sweet spot similar to seating depth.
You are correct, I covered this on the previous page

From what I can make of this, it reads like your lower rounds are "walking forward" in the magazine as you chamber the top round. They're moving with enough force to push the bullet further back into the cartridge when one hits the front of the magazine. That makes for a Devil of a Compressed Charge. Good thing you didn't unknowingly chamber and touch it off.
Crimp of no crimp, your cartridges shouldn't be doing that. I've had magnum cartridges catch each other at the magnum "belt" and move forward in the magazine. But you're not using a magnum. If your rifle is as well used as you say, maybe you need a new magazine spring. Little more tension to keep those cartridges where they belong.

I know this is going to start the age old battle of crimp or not to crimp and that's not what I'm trying to do so I'm stating "This is why I crimp", This is my opinion so take it for that, I'm just sharing my personal experience and what works for me I am not a competition shooter nor do I claim to be Just a LRH . This is the second time this has happened to me in the past thirty years, the first was an Elk hunt in Oregon where I mailed my rifle and ammo out and then spent a week Horseback and the second time was yesterday, I will tell you that I do not abuse my guns, with that being said I use them for what they are intended for and I do not own anything that hasn't been "Well Used" No safe queens here, Now why I crimp, My Coyote Rig is a Rem 700 in 270 with 90 gr Sierra's, I loaded some rounds last month and got sidetracked and didn't crimp ( I use the Lee FCD on everything I load ) 10 rounds, I just let it go cause I wanted to get in the woods,these were loaded into a 5 rd Magazine two weeks ago, i hunt every evening an twice a day on the weekends 2 to 3 sets a trip and last Saturday my gun slipped off of my shoulder and landed on the Butt stock in a field and didn't hurt anything, fast forward to last night, I shot a ground hog ejected and chambered a new round and while unloading the weapon i saw the bullet in the second round in the mag was gone, upon examination I found the bullet had fell back in to the case, as i said this is the second time this has happened to me and why " I crimp" As for a side note this was 3X fired brass annealed, trimmed and FL resized every loading with a measured .0023 neck tension

I crimp. Same thing can happen when your ammo bumps around for days in the back of your truck on logging roads. My friend shoots precision rifle matches and crimps everything. If you shoot outside the bench of your gun club, you should crimp.

So still new and just figuring reloading out. So reading always to crimp only on auto feed and lever action so I didn't continue to question it since I'm loading for a bolt. I am Using the redding master hunter and type. S FL dies. If I were to try, do these would I have the ability to crimp as well ? Or will it require another die and another process? I am going to be using monos as well. Please explain
Thanks

So still new and just figuring reloading out. So reading always to crimp only on auto feed and lever action so I didn't continue to question it since I'm loading for a bolt. I am Using the redding master hunter and type. S FL dies. If I were to try, do these would I have the ability to crimp as well ? Or will it require another die and another process? I am going to be using monos as well. Please explain
Thanks
You will have to buy another die as I don't think the Redding has a roll crimp and I guess I should have stated even though I'm sure its clear I use the Lee FCD exclusively

Here is a little something I discovered about using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. When you trim your cases leave them 5 thousands longer than the trim to length. This will give you a good amount of case to get a crimp on. When you trim down to the trim to length it does not always give enough to get a good crimp on.
I discovered that many years ago. Particularly true for 223/5.56. My solution to that happening was to just take .005" or so off the bottom of the sliding collet. Works like a charm! That way, I can always trim to minimum length and still get a solid crimp on every case.