Why doesnt someone make a BIG @ss riflescope?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by robbor, Nov 29, 2004.

1. robbor

robbor Well-Known Member

I would think by now that a need has been warrented, why dont any of the rifle scope companies make us a big ol scope like 10-50 with a 80-100mm objective? Wouldnt this be usefull? More light, better immage, larger exit pupil. I want to mount my spotting scope on my gun but it does not have windage and elevation much less a crosshair.

2. daveosok

daveosok Guest

They do; U.S. Optics
    Check it out, be sure to have a few grand in savings before venturing out to get one though as they are the most expensive scopes you will ever see.

3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Well-Known Member

Robbor, what kind of rifle would you mount a scope that big? A 20mm mini gun for shotting 3 miles.

[ 11-30-2004: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

4. Jon Jackoviak

Jon Jackoviak Well-Known Member

I would hate to carry that gun around. [​IMG]

5. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Well-Known Member

Still might be fun to shoot though. Just don't be anywhere near the muzzle as its going off.

6. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

High powered scopes have their place, but I'm not sure long range hunting is where it is. I have shot targets of 16-18 inches at 1500 and 1600 yards with my night force 5.5-22 NPR2. Even on a 30 degree day if the sun is out, the mirage off the sun warmed barrel is enough that I have to keep the barrel covered, turn the power down, or shoot in a mirage condition. I like portable guns and we have a weight limit in Idaho. I even have a 50 mm NF instead of a 56 mm. I think that monster scopes are not manufactured but only by a few companies because they are to much of a good thing.

Shawn

7. cdmorten

cdmorten Well-Known Member

Shawn,

Were you serious about a weight limit in Idaho?? Or did you mean that the terrain dictates not carrying a heavy gun?

8. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

As retarded as it sounds there is a weight limit in Idaho, 16 lbs field ready. Not a difficult weight to atain but stupid just the same.

Shawn