Why does no one make a polymer 3.850" AICS magnum magazine????

codyadams

Really though. For those of us building light chassis rifles, 7+ oz is hard to swallow for a magazine!!! A polymer version set up for RUM/PRC/Nosler cartridges, as well as WM, would probably save around 5 oz or close. Maybe if we start enough of a stink here, then forward it to Magpul or someone, they will do something about it. I think Curtis Custom or someone has a cool aluminum one that is pretty light, but that doesn't fit in chassis.

On that note, does anyone know of the lightest 3.850 AICS magazine? To my knowledge, it's the 3 round version at like 5.5 oz. Is there a better one that would fit in say.....an XLR Element 4.0??????

Polymer has to be thicker to be as strong as steel or stainless. Therefore if ypu are trying to fit the dbm into an existing magwell you will loose some of the length( coal) you can fit in the mag. And unless it's a hybrid- you can't bend the lips for feeding.

Polymer has to be thicker to be as strong as steel or stainless. Therefore if ypu are trying to fit the dbm into an existing magwell you will loose some of the length( coal) you can fit in the mag. And unless it's a hybrid- you can't bend the lips for feeding.
Yup. All true, but I still think many could benefit, I know people that use the standard length magnum aics polymer mag for cartridges like 7rm and .264 wm with success. A longer, 3.850" sized mag designed for the beltless magnums could be very beneficial

Yup. All true, but I still think many could benefit, I know people that use the standard length magnum aics polymer mag for cartridges like 7rm and .264 wm with success. A longer, 3.850" sized mag designed for the beltless magnums could be very beneficial
Then maybe you should make some.

A few years back, some 6.8forum guys checked into getting some custom mags made.....needless to say, unless you are willing to shell out some real big bucks for the first run, its not economical. So the market has to be there to support the costs. Of tooling and production.

It's not just the tooling costs, but the minimum order for a run of mags --- you wouldn't believe how many mags you have to order for a "special run" to make sense for the manufacturer

Last edited: