Why does MY 300PRC hate H1000?

Disregard the above, didn't intend quoting that.

Wish you kept that secret regarding RL25 to yourself!!
Have been using it since it first arrived on the scene. All 5 of my 300WM love the stuff. They also like H1000 and Retumbo too.
I have yet not found another powder that matches the accuracy or velocity of RL25 in my 300's and it also does a great job in my RUM….shoosh, don't tell anyone.

Cheers.
Hhhhhmmmmm……RL25 (300's). I'm gonna have to have some now MM. Got lots of 30's

So you may want to give more info on your process. Brass, new/resized, neck tension, CBTO (OL), powder ladder charge or OCW results, primers, barrel, barrel length, your process in general.
All those details were purposefully excluded from my post because they are constants. I can prep 2 loads back to back, with exactly the same process and exactly the same components except powder, and even charge adjusted to the same velocity; H1000 will shoot between 1 and 2.5", 7828 will shoot between 0.13" and 0.6"...

The post is simply an exploration in H1000 tricks and tips.

Disregard the above, didn't intend quoting that.

Wish you kept that secret regarding RL25 to yourself!!
Have been using it since it first arrived on the scene. All 5 of my 300WM love the stuff. They also like H1000 and Retumbo too.
I have yet not found another powder that matches the accuracy or velocity of RL25 in my 300's and it also does a great job in my RUM….shoosh, don't tell anyone.

Cheers.
I similarly implored a member of this forum to SHUT UP! about the fact that hodgdon LEVEREVOLUTION powder was in fact very, very useful and gives awesome velocity in a lot of cartridges that are not typically associated with lever action guns. 😁

It's been more or less available while people fight over others of its burn rate haha

I am awaiting my Manners LRH and then all my parts get dropped off at the gunsmith for my .300WM RM. I only have about 32# of H1000 and 2500 215s, so I hope those will work...

Seriously. But, all kidding aside, I also have about 1200 of the 200.20x Hyb, 600 of the 230 OTMs, and 16-24# of N565 & N570, and 6# of Retumbo just in case.

You know it's been a while and I can't recall…I will say with pretty much any Alliant powder I have experience with (which isn't all of them by a long shot) my practice has been to only do load development in the summer months. Either that or content myself with not pushing things right to max (and if you're not after full speed…we'll that's what the Alliant powders are best at so seems silly haha)

In my experience it is not as temp sensitive as rl22.
You get the 🤣 from me Calvin because I live here too .....load development at -40 never worked for me either....well the loading part does....but the shooting part never crossed my mind!

I don't have experience with the cartridge or the powders but looking at the two I suspect that you may be having problems with consistency of ignition with the H1000. That would suggest that case fill differences and primer selection may be the issue. Maybe neck tension.

As the title states, my 300 PRC hates H1000. It likes MagPro more and loves 7828. Because I want it to like H1000, ive got to thinking that here has to be a reason besides "just because".

I've tested with 215 Bergers and 225ELDM. In both cases, the powder preference was clear. All else was the same. Same ADG brass, same sizing, same primers tested, all else was equal.

H1000 also earned me one heck of a carbon ring.

There has to be a reason. H1000 is obviously slower than 7828. Is there a chance that my neck tension is too light to pressure up with the slower powder? Something else?

Who has ideas? I really want H1000 to work, but I'm near ready to give up on it.
It could be worse, im down to half pound of 7828 and figured i would burn it up in a new 280AI, before switching over to 7828ssc(i have 10-11 pounds). The regular 7828 shoots one ragged hole and the super short cut is 1-1.5"😞

I don't have experience with the cartridge or the powders but looking at the two I suspect that you may be having problems with consistency of ignition with the H1000. That would suggest that case fill differences and primer selection may be the issue. Maybe neck tension.
The H1000 case fill is pretty much exactly what I would strive for. I have tested WLRM, CCI250, and F215M. All tests were done with identical components behind 7828 as a control, and the results were always 7828 being a clear winner.

I too wonder about other factors in consistency of ignition and I am considering a set of mandrels to test. Besides primers and tension, what other factors in ignition am I not considering? Is H1000 generally picky about ignition factors?

It could be worse, im down to half pound of 7828 and figured i would burn it up in a new 280AI, before switching over to 7828ssc(i have 10-11 pounds). The regular 7828 shoots one ragged hole and the super short cut is 1-1.5"😞
I guess that really magnifies the difference in individual experiences. I've seen ZERO difference between 7828 and 7828SC, besides case fill. I've used it in a couple cases, but never 280AI

The H1000 case fill is pretty much exactly what I would strive for. I have tested WLRM, CCI250, and F215M. All tests were done with identical components behind 7828 as a control, and the results were always 7828 being a clear winner.

I too wonder about other factors in consistency of ignition and I am considering a set of mandrels to test. Besides primers and tension, what other factors in ignition am I not considering? Is H1000 generally picky about ignition factors?

While I don't have an answer to your question, I've had several cartridges shoot consistently tighter groups with 7828 than with H1000 or (occasionally) any other powder. I always wondered why 7828 was rarely spoken about on the forums.

Unfortunately I can't address H1000 in particular but looking at it in GRT it appears you may be compressing the load and maybe it doesn't like that or could it be displacing the bullet after loading? I can't think of anything other than neck tension since primers didn't help.

Good points. GRT and QL default data both seem to be inaccurate for H1000. Both predict substantially higher loads to hit velocity and pressure and both over estimate case fill too. I even opened a brand new bottle of H1000 to confirm it wasn't just my "can in use". 77.5gr of H1000 gets me 2890 FPS from 225eldms at what I estimate to be 99.9% fill.

Only because of Texas 80+° temp changes, I think I'm going to get mandrels and play with neck tension before giving my H1000 stash away.