Why does it feel like everyone has too much money?

Darryle

I want a full turnkey custom hunting rifle built, titanium receiver, carbon barrel, threaded with full load development, custom hard case, using a new Swarovski Z6 I have as the optic. I am not expecting 2 weeks, 2 months or even 6-8 months turnaround, I know these guys are busy and it will take however long it takes. I want it built to between 7lbs and 8lbs with 4rds, mount, optic ready to hunt.

I can't get no one to call me back, act interested, give me a contact number so we can discuss details or even remotely discuss/answer questions in a timely manner. I am willing to pay cash up front and even drive to their shop, give them the optic and pay them cash, regardless of the distance from my house.

FTR: I have never inquired about a build with any of these shops I have contacted, but I have had several do significant work on existing rifles, over $500 in some cases and over $200 the majority of the time.

PS: I am a horrible long range shooter, let's say over 500yds, realistically I mean 300....😂, but I want a full on custom rifle when a sub $500 rig would probably better than I ever will.

So, why is it so **** hard to give away money?

I have seen rifles from those that I have contacted/inquired about begin at the low $4ks and go upwards of $7k without optics

Just **** frustrated, especially after I just wiped out my entire secret rat hole money to pay the hospital after being released.

Not knocking down the custom builds, can afford any rifle I desire but the practical side of me keeps me grounded. I've hunted 40 years with a savage 110 and a 3X9 Bushnell scope in 30-06 and than had to finally retire the savage because of the stock and difficult to find a stock for that particular left hand rifle. Bought a Tikka T3 in 30-06 with a Sightron scope for hunting.

Ten years ago I was checking the zero at 200 yards for my new Tikka getting it ready for deer season, when this young man sets up next to me, taking out this beautiful rifle with a carbon barrel and it was not the manufacturer most people might think it is and a rifle scope more expensive than my spotting scope, a Nikon Fieldscope 25-75X82 with ED glass.

I shot than he did and compared group size. My group measured about .820 @ 200 and his measured about .628 at 200. When I asked how much his set up was he proudly stated $9000 "6 for the rifle and 3 for the scope". I proudly state $900, 5 for the rifle and 4 for the scope and rings.

For me one day I may consider a custom but for now the temperature in hell has not dipped below freezing. My days are numbered and after putting deer and elk on the table over a 55 year span of hunting I wonder how much more accuracy I could get out of a $6000 rifle

That's fairly surprising no one will call you back. There are many shops across the country. It is busy in rifle shops that are reputable. But not that busy they couldn't give you an estimate on price and completion date. Now that you have spent your money, keep what you have or buy a decent used one?

I had the same result a few years ago. Had numerous shops not call me back. For me it was a easy decision. If a shop can't call me back I don't need to do business with them. How do you think the rest of the build will go? I am no expert either, but just like guns. I don't need the frustration of a shop not communicating if I have a question.

I want a full turnkey custom hunting rifle built, titanium receiver, carbon barrel, threaded with full load development, custom hard case, using a new Swarovski Z6 I have as the optic. I am not expecting 2 weeks, 2 months or even 6-8 months turnaround, I know these guys are busy and it will take however long it takes. I want it built to between 7lbs and 8lbs with 4rds, mount, optic ready to hunt.

I can't get no one to call me back, act interested, give me a contact number so we can discuss details or even remotely discuss/answer questions in a timely manner. I am willing to pay cash up front and even drive to their shop, give them the optic and pay them cash, regardless of the distance from my house.

FTR: I have never inquired about a build with any of these shops I have contacted, but I have had several do significant work on existing rifles, over $500 in some cases and over $200 the majority of the time.

PS: I am a horrible long range shooter, let's say over 500yds, realistically I mean 300....😂, but I want a full on custom rifle when a sub $500 rig would probably better than I ever will.

So, why is it so **** hard to give away money?

I have seen rifles from those that I have contacted/inquired about begin at the low $4ks and go upwards of $7k without optics

Just **** frustrated, especially after I just wiped out my entire secret rat hole money to pay the hospital after being released.
Check with Greg Young@southernprecisionrifle's's a.k.a.bugholes.com

I guess in my frustration, I was not calculating in the fact of what time of the year it was.

The other thing is trying to talk me into a different caliber explaining how much happier I will be. I want what I want!

Should have written the OP, left it saved as a draft and re-read this morning when I had a clearer thought process.

Sorry fellas!

Hey Darryle....are you regretting that extra 5lbs you sold me? Jab, jab🤣

Sorry, had to get that in. You could try and buy it back, I WONT be giving you a good deal!

Seriously, enjoyed the transaction and really enjoying the rifle! Good luck with your build.

Somebody help this man out!!!!

I walked into APR a couple weeks ago, made the build sheet, paid and walked out. Hunter was out for a couple weeks, emails did go unanswered for awhile during the gap. Him and Robert were good about it.

I know a guy in Wford if you want his number. Not sure about full-turn key but he's local at least.

They might not do the load part of it as part of the build, but there's a guy in Dallas that does custom handloads who will work with you to get something dialed in.

Last edited:
Hey Darryle....are you regretting that extra 5lbs you sold me? Jab, jab🤣

Sorry, had to get that in. You could try and buy it back, I WONT be giving you a good deal!

Seriously, enjoyed the transaction and really enjoying the rifle! Good luck with your build.

Somebody help this man out!!!!
Yes and no, but I will square up with you on the 6.5 140gr Bergers, that is the same load the WTO will be built around. It may just take forever to find them in stock somewhere

Update, a little nudge and a phone call and I was able to work out the particulars on a rifle that will scratch an itch until I can go full on crazy with the original concept I had in mind.

Also, it comes with a 5 week completion date because it has been in production for several weeks.

Thanks for those that reached out and those who reined me in!