Why do muzzle brakes all have bad names?

While I'm still feeling silly here, how about telling some more truth: "the PainChanger - trade slight shoulder discomfort for inner ear trauma and a resentful hunting party today!"

There may be a little red neck In all of us, because how many times have you gave your rifles/pistols names? I think I could right a book on all the names of rifles i have heard.

Some of them are also quite interesting.

J E CUSTOM

I honestly never got that. I've never named a gun, a car, or any possession I've owned, but certainly don't judge those who do. The first official gun name I heard was for the first rifle I ever took a deer with, when I was 13. A friend of my dad's lent me "the meat axe". He never referred to his Remington pump .30-06 as anything but the meat axe.

Me personally I just don't like the noise, it sounds weird and what I have ben around when hunting no ear protection because I need to hear, the MB's hurt the ears.

On the other note of this I think a good name would be "Mule Kick Brake".

I picked up a 16" Contender barrel in 375 JDJones, with a set of dies, brass, and a bit of ammo. And a JDJ brake. First shot (Plugs & Muffs) the fierce concussion felt like it hurt every bone in my body. I decided to sell it.
After an hour or so I thought "Hey! You can't dump it after just one shot."
So I tried again, just to confirm the experience. I was right the first time.
Move ahead a couple of hours, as I was getting ready to leave the range.
Just one shot, in case there was any redeeming value to that blasted brake.
We've all done it. I had forgotten to put on my ear plugs and earmuffs.
Recoil, I can handle. Acoustic Trauma, NO!
I've had other brakes and hated them for the same reason.

When not shooting my ear protection goes on top of my rifle. It cannot be loaded or shot without removed my hearing protection.
I shot it once with bare ears, they hurt for hours and took a week or so before my hearing was oaky.

I honestly never got that. I've never named a gun, a car, or any possession I've owned, but certainly don't judge those who do. The first official gun name I heard was for the first rifle I ever took a deer with, when I was 13. A friend of my dad's lent me "the meat axe". He never referred to his Remington pump .30-06 as anything but the meat axe.

As I said, I think it is a cultural thing and different Countries call there rifles by the cartridge or the caliber instead of a name, and some just call it there rifle. And I don't judge them either. :)

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.