Why can't i reload exact cartridges?

I often seat them "close" and then measure them. I adjust the micrometer then for that particular bullet/case, and seat it the last tiny bit.

In my experience, it's often the bullet that can vary in length from base to ogive. Get an exceptionally consistent bullet (Hammer, occasionally Barnes) and you'll find they're all the same when you measure them after the initial seating.

In doing it this way I am able to get each base-to-ogive measurement to be exactly the same.

Seating dies usually don't seat by the ogive and that's crazy. I love my forester and Redding micro seaters but if they had the bullet contact point of the seater at the ogive it would be simpler. I end up running some shells through the seating die 3 times to get everything seated equally. I think if u sort your bullets you will get a more even outcome the first trip through the die.

For me the most noticeable differences are caused by Bullet variations. That being said, Hammer Bullets are the most consistent I have loaded and I can get an extremely high number of rounds exactly the same.

Anyway the comparator gauge, looks like aluminum, and force on calipers could cause the difference? Understand bullet lengths vary but force applied to measure could as well.

As the Title suggests, I find it almost impossible to load cartridges that are all exact. I understand there are so many variables it is impossible, but something has been bothering me for years. Let me see if I can explain what I'm trying to say here, and it has to do with the measurement of a loaded round, namely, off the Ogive.

A few specifics, this caliber is 6,5 x 55 but applies to any. Bullet is 130gr the Nosler Accubond. My press is a Foerster Co-Ax, and the Die is RCBS Comp Micrometer Bullet Seater. I am using a Stoney Point Comparator (now Hornady LnL), with the 6.5 insert.

Here is what I'm looking for:
enhance

Many do measure exactly 2.530, however I always get a few off, mostly under, and I have learned when all adjustments are set, not to touch and play with adjustments, because that seems to make it worse. If one measures simply to the point of the bullet, you will have variances. But how can it vary measuring to the Ogive?

enhance

Ok, close enough, or is there some reason I just can't get 100% of my loads to measure exactly the same? I have not touched anything, how can the measurement possibly be different? This has had me stumped for years, as I have no logical explanation how the measurement can be different.
Are your primers all seated below the case? I stopped using my hand priming tool because it would not always fully seat the primer and screw with my measurements.

Seating dies usually don't seat by the ogive and that's crazy. I love my forester and Redding micro seaters but if they had the bullet contact point of the seater at the ogive it would be simpler. I end up running some shells through the seating die 3 times to get everything seated equally. I think if u sort your bullets you will get a more even outcome the first trip through the die.
The problem is that there can be so much variation in bullets that even if they did, it would only be applicable for one bullet type and one lot of that bullet. I've had different bullet lots with notable variation between them, and sometimes the variation even within one lot is more than I'd like. That's why I measure and seat each one individually.

Well, except maybe my 35 Remington or similar. They only shoot short range anyway, but ironically the Speer bullets I use for that cartridge show little variation.

Like post #3 says, bullets differ. Your seating system does not seat the bullet by seating off the ogive, it uses an arbitrary point much closer to the tip.

If you were to use a "more exact" bullet -like something like a "hand turned" or match bullet you will see much better results ( I like hammer bullets, they are very exact)

Other things that can affect it are press/die rigidity and neck tension
Another thing is compressed loadings. They can push the bullet back out if it's compressed too tightly.

Another consideration would be our measuring equipment. I bring this up only due to my profession and knowledge of other factors. The tools we use as re-loaders for measurements by a professional or mechanical engineering standpoint are more like toys. For example, comparing a professional tool to economy discount store tool. This is no disrespect to any manufacturer or personal preference, but professional tools used for measurements, balance, and weight are subject to calibration schedules to maintain accuracy. This is done in a controlled environment (think clean laboratory climate controlled environment). Through use tools will develop wear, which can and will show with proper inspection. This requires calibration and adjustment to ensure accuracy. As a hobbyist this is beyond obtainable reality. Just remembered even a slight jar , bump, ding, drop, temperature change, humidity difference, unclean surface can affect precision measurements. Some things are beyond our control.

Seating dies usually don't seat by the ogive and that's crazy.

If they do not seat by the Ogive. What do they seat by? The tip? If yours does there junk. Rile dies seat off the Ogive. Most pistol dies think 44 mag, 45Colt 480 ruger. They seat of the tip. Unless you are seating round nose or pointed bullets then they to seat off the Ogive.

OP lots of good advice in this thread. Biggest one. Match your seating stem with the bullet. That will help.

Obviously there are variables in components but I agree with SD260 ^. Run your calipers up and down a few times and see how often they return to 0.00". On any given round there could existing variation in your round compounded by variation in the measurement device.

If they do not seat by the Ogive. What do they seat by? The tip? If yours does there junk. Rile dies seat off the Ogive. Most pistol dies think 44 mag, 45Colt 480 ruger. They seat of the tip. Unless you are seating round nose or pointed bullets then they to seat off the Ogive.

Your incorrect sir. Take a black Sharpe and color the rifle bullet seat the bullet and you'll see the marks of the seater easily. You will see the seater does not seat at the ogive of the bullet. It seats more towards the tip of the bullet. Where the seating die contacts the bullet is a smaller diameter that what your bullet ogive is.

even with my custom dies and matched bullets I get some variations from neck tension or friction , thats why I back my seaters up and creep up to cbto. usually I am over and when I dial the next 3 or 4 thousandths, or how much I need, it nails the number. I can usually feel when it is going to be long

edit This reminds me of a pic someone posted a while back with a torque wrench tied to the arm of the press lol

I struggled with this when I first started reloading. Now I press all my bullets to a random length longer than my target length. Then I group them by .001 increments. Then begin fine tunning each group starting with the shortest group. Works well for me

As the Title suggests, I find it almost impossible to load cartridges that are all exact. I understand there are so many variables it is impossible, but something has been bothering me for years. Let me see if I can explain what I'm trying to say here, and it has to do with the measurement of a loaded round, namely, off the Ogive.

A few specifics, this caliber is 6,5 x 55 but applies to any. Bullet is 130gr the Nosler Accubond. My press is a Foerster Co-Ax, and the Die is RCBS Comp Micrometer Bullet Seater. I am using a Stoney Point Comparator (now Hornady LnL), with the 6.5 insert.

Here is what I'm looking for:
enhance

Many do measure exactly 2.530, however I always get a few off, mostly under, and I have learned when all adjustments are set, not to touch and play with adjustments, because that seems to make it worse. If one measures simply to the point of the bullet, you will have variances. But how can it vary measuring to the Ogive?

enhance

Ok, close enough, or is there some reason I just can't get 100% of my loads to measure exactly the same? I have not touched anything, how can the measurement possibly be different? This has had me stumped for years, as I have no logical explanation how the measurement can be different.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.