Why Berger?

I am not disputing the accuracy or lethality of the Bergers, they are great and I have killed several deer and hogs with them. However, I've been frustrated the few times when I have to track an animal. Often there is no exit wound and blood trails can be scarce. For open country though, they are great.

Huh, never had that problem with them, maybe I keep missing the meat!!
Used to cut wild game out of college, cut way north of 2000 elk alone and don't put up with bullets that makes more work for me behind the trigger or cutting them on the rail and I just keep coming back to the ol Berger!

I didn't hit my bull in the shoulder last year with 215's but I definitely found lead fragments in the meat, also a big chunk blew up through the back strap, I bit a piece later

This 250 Berger below started out at 250 grains, the recovered bits you see weighed around 50.

Now where did the other 200 grains go?

IMG_20200217_161135269.jpg

I didn't hit my bull in the shoulder last year with 215's but I definitely found lead fragments in the meat, also a big chunk blew up through the back strap, I bit a piece later

This 250 Berger below started out at 250 grains, the recovered bits you see weighed around 50.

Now where did the other 200 grains go?

View attachment 192218
Probably on the lungs or intestines

This is Berger 210's out of a Rem 700 blueprinted with Krieger bbl and Jewell trigger.....now, I know that groups don't kill animals, but 1000's of lbs of energy doesn't kill either, if it misses.....I shot a mule deer with it...butcher wanted to know caliber, because of damage....too much for a mule deer, but dead is dead....not saying that they kill better than another bullet, but they work...rsbhunter

Attachments

• IMG_20191113_1037183_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20191113_1037183_rewind.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 119
Most hunting bullets are designed to work well at the ranges MOST game is shot ---- well under 400 yards.

As was pointed out Bergers are more like a match or varmint bullet. Then tend to be explosive at closer ranges but work well once they have slowed down.

If you want to break down big game at closer ranges A Frames, Barnes and Partitions are the prudent choice.

If you're reaching way out Bergers will work.

Never use light construction bullets on things that bite back. Just ask George Grey who came to a bad end using a 280 Ross (early 7mm mag)

I guess we need someone to counter the discussion. I concur that they are an accurate and deadly long range bullet. My problem has been when the close shot occurs with them. I have witnesses more than of couple deer run off after what appeared to be a boiler room shot. All have been under 250 yards. Recovered all but one although numerous have run over a quarter of a mile in heavy cover and steep terrain. If I am guiding a hunter and they are using Berger, I pressure them for a shoulder shot if it's close. I don't criticize the Berger, just don't use them.

Be careful though, I was excited to use .338 300 Grn. Hybrid because it was a "Hollowpoint" boat tail with a great Ballistic Coefficient I was all excited to do some Elk hunting with it. Punched a Cow at 343 Yards Bullet hole was the same size going in as going out. Had to follow her for about a mile to find her dead.
Read about the Hybrid Hunter with the same book Balst. Coe. and decided to try it.
Next year I was filling a cow tag again and at 404 yards .338" hole going in and about a 9 inch hole going out.
(DRT)(dead right there) Problem solved!
Make sure you get one designed to expand!

I have tried ELDX, Barnes, edge TLR, nosler longrange accubonds, hammer bullets and Berger's this past year to try to get a different longrange bullet for my rifles. The only ones that I thought were better than Berger's in terminal performance was the Hammer bullets and the Edge TLRs. In consistency of BTO and weight, Berger's and Hammer bullets are comparable. The Edge TLR was not consistent in measurements at all and it showed at longer ranges. If Federal would get their act together and pump out consistent bullets in the Edge TLR, they would seriously do some damage in the bullet market.

After all of this testing and shooting, I went back to Berger's.

I have read and heard that it is easier to make a consistent bullet jacket that is thin than it is to make one that is thick. Don't know if this is true or not - that's just what I've heard. This may be the issue with the Edge TLR. The front of that bullet that functions as jacket is definitely pretty thick, at least relative to cross-section pictures I've seen of Bergers. I think they've got a new design that evolved out of that one, so maybe they have corrected the consistency issue. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Yes your right on the lung shot but they will keep going and usually end up in the worst spot to recover I never have a meat damage problem in high shoulder shots possible because I shoot a lot

Assume your Berger is NOT destroying BOTH lungs ? If so they go nowhere. Hit the shoulder bone and have a shallow crater and the wolves a meal. Don't want em to move ? Use a LRX and break him down.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.