Why are there no 25's????

86alaskan

So, if a 6mm is great and has these awesome ballistics.... and the 6.5 and 7mm have these awesome bullets and ballistics..... why can't someone make a nice long heavy streamlined 25 cal? Geez, I just want to run my 2506 to its true effectiveness, but can't get any better than the berger 115. I seems to be that in the 6mm and 6.5mm, to get a better BC the companies just stretch that puppy into a nice long heavy bullet. Why doesn't anyone do a 25? give a berger 130vld or something of that sort, i'll bet that bullet runs right along with any 6.5. what gives??

What twist would it take to stabilize a 130 vld?
How many factory rifles have that twist rate? Zero would be my guess. Equals next to zero market for such a bullet. It would be cool though!

What twist would it take to stabilize a 130 vld?
How many factory rifles have that twist rate? Zero would be my guess. Equals next to zero market for such a bullet. It would be cool though!

Bingo!!
Most 25's are a 1-10. We do have a guy down under that from memory makes a vld type 135gr .257 ,they require a 1-8.5 twist,would be fun considering I have a 25saum reamer.

Agree... I can't recall any factory chambered rifle with a twist much faster than 1-10... It would take something much faster than that to stabilize a bullet in the 135 area.... I going to look at all the barrel makers and see if any of them offer a custom barrel with a 1-8 or 9... To be honest I'm truly not sure if anyone does !!

Just checked... 1-9 is as fast as I found...checked about 6 makers... Brux offers none that I could see..most offered very little or one...truthfully I never realized so little was offered in .257..

I have been saying this for years. When I asked Berger this same question, they said it was on their "to-do" list. But that could mean it could be this year, 5+ years, or we may never see one.

I would prefer a .257 130 Hybrid, personally, since their Hybrid design has better BC, but still retains exceptional hunting properties, and it would be ideal for my .25-06 AI for deer hunting. I wouldn't mind running a 1:8 twist Bartlein. :D

The .257 and 8mm calibers seem to have been left behind. Not really sure why, and the only excuse is the factory twist rate, but with how advanced barrel making technology has come in the last decade, there should be no more excuses. A new heavy high-BC .25 and 8mm offering would revive a lot of calibers that have been dwindling in popularity for a while now.

+1 on the better bullets for the 25! A few years ago I got a Kreiger with 1 in 9 twist for my old model Sendero and love it. It really likes the 117gr Ballistic tips, but wish someone would make a high BC bullet. Years ago member Buffalo Bob gave me some 127gr custom bullets he had and they were awesome,thanks again Bob. Although the market may be small I'll keep hoping Berger does a Hybrid for us.

i have a 257 roberts ackley improved and my uncle has a 25-06 improved and we both would love to run heavier bullets but that common 1-10 twist can be a problem stabilizing. but ive been shooting the 120 gr. partition, 115 gr balistic tip, 115gr. bergers and the 110 accubond. all bullets have shot great through my rifle. i dont think the 25 calibers get enough love. but everytime i go into a store the 25 caliber bullets are always mostly gone and tend to stay gone for awhile so i know its a popular caliber just not popular with manufactures enough to push some boundries.

Simple: All factory barrels were 10tw. Going back a long ways. For the bullet mfg, no reason to make for anything else.

If your rifle has faster than a 10tw, there are boutique makers.

115 Bergers is as long/sleek/high BC from the mainstream makers.

Hart has several twist's in 25 cal. Including 1-9". BIB bullets makes a high a BC 115gn, I have been emailing with a company up north that makes a high BC 110, 115 and a 135gn bullet, can't recall the name offhand but I'll update when I get home. I'm sure most of the better barrel makers can acomadate a faster 25 cal. twist. E

So, supposing someone was going to get a new barrel put on their 2506, and that barrel was coming from a cut rifle company that could make a 1-9 or 1-8, what would be the fastest twist while still having a hope of running some of the varmint bullets, say an 87 or even 75? I'd love to be able to run a heavy 25 and still be able to launch a 75 @3500 without it coming apart.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.