Why are accurate 308 loads slow

Yeah, there was an a-hole shooting one of those directly to my left about 2 booths down.....Everytime he shot it flint shards would hit me in the face while I was trying to shoot! If he hadn't looked like such a little pansy I would have said something. He enunciated his words, and dressed preppy, was kind of excitable (peppy and talkative), and about 5'-4"...He kind of reminded me of a tall leprechaun without the funny hat and green suit. No lie, his flintlock was as tall as him. So my guess is probably a doctor, or lawyer, or something professional and not manual labor, who would try to sue me if I had threatened to shove his flintlock up his "powder horn" sideways if he didn't move down further... LOL

But I never said anything, just kept to myself and he eventually took a break and went off to talk someone else's ear off (someone who might give more of a crap than me, which shouldn't be hard to find...) to show off his exuberant knowledge of black powder rifles... :rolleyes:

Some days are just like that.

I once had a guy pull up in the shooting table next to me with a very poorly timed revolver in 454 Casull there were other tables but I guess he wanted to impress me.

After a few shots and some powder mixed with a little shaved lead (The cylinder was not timed
correctly with the barrel) I ask him to please move down a couple of tables, and he said that if it
bothered me I could move.

Like you, it would not have been much trouble to put that pistol in his Your Quote: "Powder horn" But I decided to be the better man and very quietly set up my M82 A1 50 BMG. He was so busy impressing himself that he did not notice.

So at the best time (He was preparing to load that piece of **** ) I turned her lose with a 750 grain barn burner. The pistol went one way and cartridges went another. (None were in the cylinder) had it not been for the fence he would probably still be running.

When he got himself back together he came over and started to say something and I jumped in first and said "His quote" If it bothers you, you can move.

He tried to hang in but I probably shot 75% of his shots for him because I would time my shots to go off just as he settled in to make the shot.

I think he got the message.

J E CUSTOM

Some days are just like that.

I once had a guy pull up in the shooting table next to me with a very poorly timed revolver in 454 Casull there were other tables but I guess he wanted to impress me.

After a few shots and some powder mixed with a little shaved lead (The cylinder was not timed
correctly with the barrel) I ask him to please move down a couple of tables, and he said that if it
bothered me I could move.

Like you, it would not have been much trouble to put that pistol in his Your Quote: "Powder horn" But I decided to be the better man and very quietly set up my M82 A1 50 BMG. He was so busy impressing himself that he did not notice.

So at the best time (He was preparing to load that piece of **** ) I turned her lose with a 750 grain barn burner. The pistol went one way and cartridges went another. (None were in the cylinder) had it not been for the fence he would probably still be running.

When he got himself back together he came over and started to say something and I jumped in first and said "His quote" If it bothers you, you can move.

He tried to hang in but I probably shot 75% of his shots for him because I would time my shots to go off just as he settled in to make the shot.

I think he got the message.

J E CUSTOM
I did the same thing with my A-Bolt II 7mm RM with the BOSS on it... I would hear the "click" of him locking the hammer back, then I'd wait 3 seconds then fire (I had his shooting pattern figured out by this time). I'm guessing he took his break from shooting once I let loose about 3 3-shot groups in a row, everytime he pulled his trigger. :D

Bad news man...I think either the scope has finally shook the crosshairs loose, or the throat is finally starting to erode in my A-Bolt II......Either way it's not gonna be cheap to fix. Sad part is, it will be cheaper to replace the barrel and stock, then it will be to buy a new scope. LOL

It's still shooting about 1 MOA, but once I have a 1/2 MOA rifle shooting 1 MOA at it's best...That's time to rebarrel. It's more than capable of killing deer out to 500 yards even shooting MOA, but I'd feel better with a rebarrel and a custom job shooting 1/8-1/4 MOA. :D

I'm thinking buy a new bolt head (standard) and mag box and convert it to a heavy-barreled .280 Ackley Improved. Keeping my mag bolt head, incase I ever want to convert it back to a magnum caliber.

What do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.