Why am i shooting to the left

Well the first thing that comes to mind is that the app info is probably wrong at the ranges that you are shooting at. While apps are good for getting you in the ball park, they do not take into account all of the different variations that one encounters out in the field or on the range. The fact that the errors are repeatable also lend me to believe that it is an app problem. Moving on, other factors that might be causing the issue is simply an issue with the parallax adjustment on the scope, if it has one. If not that means that the parallax is factory set for 100 yards which is not ideal for shooting at any range over or under 100 yards. Without adjustable parallax compensation the slightest movement of your eye from exact center of the aperture means that the bullet will follow your head movement. The longer the range the smaller the movement required to end up in an error. Moving on, there was a comment that one persons scope would shoot right but his son using the same rifle would have the same rifle hitting left. This again relates to parallax and the placement of the eye outside of the exact center of the aperture. If a person knows how to accurately shoot a scope and zeros the rifle, any other person who knows how to shoot a scope should be able to pick up that rifle and shoot and hit exactly the same spot it was sighted in for by the other person. The only argument here is who knows how to really shoot a scoped rifle and zero's it and who else knows how to shoot a rifle zeroed by the other individual. The bullets will hit in the exact same spot for either them or anyone else who really knows how to shoot a scoped rifle.
I don`t buy that theory at all.No body places a scope in the rings in exactly the same place as another person does.So if you take a rifle that is pre set up and sighted in.No two people are likely to put their head in the same place as another person does.Everyone that shoots the rifle will likely have a different point of impact and it has nothing to do with knowing how to shoot with a scope.It is the difference in human physical proportions.That is why women with long slender necks shoot a stock with a high roll over comb better than a man with a shorter neck and broad shoulders that is more comfortable with a straight classic style stock.That is why tactical stocks are fully adjustable for LOP,comb height,grip angle.
As to the question of why the rifle shoots to the left,the best idea is to have some one video tape a whole sequence of your shooting.You may not think you are shifting positions as you shoot,but the tape will tell you.The most failure I have seen with folks pulling one way or the other is bad follow through.Huntz

Just curious... and I apologize for just skimming thru 9 pages... Do you shoot with both eyes open or one eye closed... consistently? Just wondering if at longer range a person starting a session with both eyes open while getting dialed in and then beginning to close the off eye as they began to concentrate more on their precision would in effect begin to change the focal point? Just thinking of "bad" habits and how we may not always be aware of what we are doing while we are doing it... just a late night ponderance. lol

Those scope levels are supposed to be here any day and I'm going to try and do some more tuning at 600 to get them tighter so maybe it's just the location and my positioning but man I don't know.
Probably not level, assuming your shooting the same targets over and over at these known distances. When you get to 1000 the .2 mils of spin drift over comes your level OR you like the way your reticle looks on that target when it plum and at 600 not so much. What's a "Kessler"??

You'd think they'd make a digital bubble. My old eyes struggling to see that thing with my off eye through bifocals lol

Thanks for everyone's input for sure
I have not read the whole thread, has anyone suggested letting another shooter shoot your rifle at these distances?
I have a friend that other than zeroing a scope, needs 1.25moa of left wind dialed into his dopes to hit anything past 300 yards, and it is linear proceeding farther out. Watching him reveals no flaws.
Shoot his rifle, you will not need additional hold to make hits.

Last edited:
I have not read the whole thread, has anyone suggested letting another shooter shoot your rifle at these distances?
I have a friend that other than zeroing a scope, needs 1.25moa of left wind dialed into his dopes to hit anything past 300 yards, and it is linear proceeding farther out. Watching him reveals no flaws.
Shoot his rifle, you will not need additional hold to make hits.
I'd sure like to know what causes this. Mine seem to wander back where they're supposed to be at 1000. Haven't shot anything between 6 and 1000 to see if it's linear

Thanks for all
Id bet its your positional shooting.

once it comes back, does it stay?
simple change in comfort can make quite a change.
I have one jacket i quite shooting in because it changed my form enough to have effects on accuracy.
it comes back and stays yes. I definitely get the jacket thing. My poi still shoots left but my groups go to crap if I bundle up for the cold

Probably not level, assuming your shooting the same targets over and over at these known distances. When you get to 1000 the .2 mils of spin drift over comes your level OR you like the way your reticle looks on that target when it plum and at 600 not so much. What's a "Kessler"??
Kestrel

Just curious... and I apologize for just skimming thru 9 pages... Do you shoot with both eyes open or one eye closed... consistently? Just wondering if at longer range a person starting a session with both eyes open while getting dialed in and then beginning to close the off eye as they began to concentrate more on their precision would in effect begin to change the focal point? Just thinking of "bad" habits and how we may not always be aware of what we are doing while we are doing it... just a late night ponderance. lol
If these levels don't solve the problem than I'm definitely going to have to record myself somehow and hopefully spot the issue

I don`t buy that theory at all.No body places a scope in the rings in exactly the same place as another person does.So if you take a rifle that is pre set up and sighted in.No two people are likely to put their head in the same place as another person does.Everyone that shoots the rifle will likely have a different point of impact and it has nothing to do with knowing how to shoot with a scope.It is the difference in human physical proportions.That is why women with long slender necks shoot a stock with a high roll over comb better than a man with a shorter neck and broad shoulders that is more comfortable with a straight classic style stock.That is why tactical stocks are fully adjustable for LOP,comb height,grip angle.
As to the question of why the rifle shoots to the left,the best idea is to have some one video tape a whole sequence of your shooting.You may not think you are shifting positions as you shoot,but the tape will tell you.The most failure I have seen with folks pulling one way or the other is bad follow through.Huntz
I remember reading somewhere how a guy put a white mark inside his scope so that he would be at the same anchor point each time he shot in competitions in different positions.

Check your trigger finger position on the trigger. Set up your rifle in your rests and see what different finger positions do to the reticle as the firing pin falls on an empty chamber, Trigger finger position is critical for Bullseye shooting and I bet for rifle too.