Why am i shooting to the left

I should know here pretty soon. I'll put those level things on and have a little bit more tuning to do with the Atips before I take them to the east side. There's another match on the 21'st next month and it would be nice to not have to guesstimate lol. Plus going to set up at 1 mile on the east just for fun. I had the 245 bergers dialed in really good but it's a hot load and hard to find bergers so kinda starting over with the Atips. The bergers are what I shot to 1000 and also 6.5-300 and 22 creedmoor. All did the same except the little 22's didn't hold as tight at 1000 but still inside 16". I'll definitely fill every one in if I get it figured out. Really want to have a good idea before I start shooting past 1000

Not being a smartazz but this is happening with multiple rifles on multiple days over and over the only constant is you thats where I would start, keep us posted as I am curious about your end result

Lol, it's a local match. Not sanctioned in any way. Basically I won a pound of bacon for 2nd place last weekend. They have 3 cameras set up for sighters at a shootnsee target between the official targets but the cameras never work. The shoot and see's look like they use the same ones every match lol. Nobody uses them. There's a couple small gongs but all 8 guys on the line are shooting at them so it can get confusing. Cameras aren't allowed while you're shooting for score. It's actually a lot of fun and there's actually some pretty good shooters there. There's different classes like iron sights and no restrictions for calibers up to 50 bmg.
Sounds like fun. You may have repeating wind conditions, like out at Ben Lomand Range in Colorado, where the wind whips as your bullet goes down range. Parts of that range blow left, parts blow right and parts blow to or from the firing points. Sometimes all three at the same time. Try putting up range flags every 50 yards or so, and watch the flags. See what the wind is actually doing. Get an old military sniper's manual and see how to read flags and what they should be made of (silk or very light cotton if I remember right) and you can determine wind direction at various points down range. That's important because at distances of 1,000 yards and such, the wind can change values, strength and even direction. Flags will help you see the changes. Its the only way to read wind at the target or between your position and the target.

Not being a smartazz but this is happening with multiple rifles on multiple days over and over the only constant is you thats where I would start, keep us posted as I am curious about your end result
You're not being. You're giving good advice. We should always start at the shooter. In my case, me. I develop bad habits periodically.

I don't think it's the scope since it's more than one rifle. I really think it's me thinking I'm holding level but not but will be finding out pretty soon. Just weird that it comes back at further distance. Definitely could be the wind causing that though as it's on the east side where I've been shooting 1000 and no flags or indicators. I found a local spot to shoot 1090 but will have to wait till after hunting season. It's across a canyon though so…
I have a question concerning the range you're shooting on. Are wind conditions constant or fairly constant on that range? If so, go to a different range and shoot on it at distance and see if your drift is duplicated. It may just be the constant wind conditions of the range itself that creates this.

A tall target test won't tell you why you're shooting left or right! It is used to help calculating a scope's correction factor (if it is actually moving as much as it should or differently). My guess its head position.
A tall target test might possibly tell you a reason you're shooting left or right. If done properly, not only will it tell you if your scope is adjusting in the correct increments, but it will also tell you if your elevation is moving POI perfectly vertically. Not all scopes do.

John

Parallax issue with the scope in that range? I had a top end scope, not going to mention a name, give me a similar issue shooting competition and couldn't figure it out. Another shooter had seen it before and mentioned it to me, I swapped scopes and problem was corrected. The scope worked fine with no issues out to 400, 500-800 I shot off center, 800-1000 was back to center. I should also mention the scope being used parralax adjustment went from 500- infinity and I think that's where the problem lied too but my cheek weld was always the same. Scope went back to manufacturer and they were able to duplicate the issue, new scope sent out and issue has never reappeared. Is your scope/ scopes being used all using the same parralax ranges? If your in that infinity range you could very easily be having this issue….

Last edited: