Why am i shooting to the left

Wow, Interesting read and some good feedback. I won't pretend to know but I will add something for you to consider…. I have seen weird things happen with a scope.

* check parallax
*. Make sure you have not over torqued your rings.

I believe you are putting too much pressure on your cheek or grasping the rifle too tight with your trigger hand. The reason it is correcting to the right past 600 yards is probably due to corriolis effect and spin drift for a right twist barrel which manifests itself past about 600 yards. Goods news is you are consistent and repeatable so it can be corrected by changing your shooting form.

This has been driving me nuts. I do a lot of load work up for various cartridges and rifles and everything I shoot starts to walk over to the left from where my Kessler or Hornady app tells me it should out to about 800 yards and then comes back to center about 1000. Wth? I've ordered a couple of those scope levels to try but I'm not feeling confident. It varies with different cartridges and is usually about 2-6" at 600 yards. It's definitely repeatable and I usually just aim to the right a little. Bergers and Hornady and hammers, don't matter. What am I doing wrong?
I have been following this with interest because it appears that you know what you are doing, the comments are on point, and the problem appears to be repeatable. It would seem that, unless you are really changing your hold, the problem would be the scope. I have not done a lot of long range work. Mine has been limited to about 600 yds and the single thing that allowed me the most improvement was shooting paper at that range. I would like to suggest that you shoot a tall target with a single high aiming point on a windless day without using any scope correction for elevation or windage to rule out some weird scope malfunction. Or, if the "walking" error is large enough that you could see results at 100 or 200 yds, you could shoot that single range with groups that are corrected for elevation at the various ranges you identified and see if the scope is walking the rounds laterally. Additionally, you could shoot a single range target with windage corrections for the various distances and see if the scope is consistent in applying the correction. ....... despite what I said about following this closely, I just realized that you had reported this as occurring with several rifles. I suppose my methodology could be used to rule out interactive windage problems on the range or computational errors in the ballistics program at a fixed range.

Last edited:
It could be the range. Are you having to change from one area, to another to shoot the different yardages? The wind would have to be constant every time, I don't think that would happen. I do know for sure that some people hold a rifle differently than others, but I don't feel that's the case here.

also curious i have seen this before i think its due to the spin of the bullet
I agree. Without the bubble you may be canting a little to left also check your trigger pull with a MantisX to see if you are pulling to the right a little and then spin drift at distance is bringing you back to the right?

This has been driving me nuts. I do a lot of load work up for various cartridges and rifles and everything I shoot starts to walk over to the left from where my Kessler or Hornady app tells me it should out to about 800 yards and then comes back to center about 1000. Wth? I've ordered a couple of those scope levels to try but I'm not feeling confident. It varies with different cartridges and is usually about 2-6" at 600 yards. It's definitely repeatable and I usually just aim to the right a little. Bergers and Hornady and hammers, don't matter. What am I doing wrong?
As far as shots stringing left I'd guess it's something with the mechanics of your shooting. Maybe something with recoil management or trigger pull etc.though I'd lean more toward it being in head position and cheek weld. Would also look at spending more time adjusting parallax to be sure you're where you need to be. Is there consistency so the stringing I.e. first shot good then the rest wander? Maybe barrel heat is effecting your sight picture? The likely reason for the bullets correcting to the right the farther out you go is simple spin drift and some coriolis effect.

I don't think it's the scope since it's more than one rifle. I really think it's me thinking I'm holding level but not but will be finding out pretty soon. Just weird that it comes back at further distance. Definitely could be the wind causing that though as it's on the east side where I've been shooting 1000 and no flags or indicators. I found a local spot to shoot 1090 but will have to wait till after hunting season. It's across a canyon though so…

Do you have A-scope level on your rifle you Can be a 1/16 of an inch off at that distance at discount it will create problems is your rifle tilted while you're shooting everything matters Everything needs to be perfectly aligned especially when you are shooting that far Yes where you place your head also will create problems I would start with making sure everything is perfectly aligned and level scope and rival

Maybe someone has already suggested this…have another accomplished long range shooter shoot your rifle at those same targets. Do his hits drift to the left at those ranges too? If not, you pretty much know its you and not a mechanical issue. Then you should shoot his rifle. Are your hits with his rifle pulling to the left too? If so, you will have confirmed that it is your shooting style and prevented wasting time and money chasing a non-existant mechanical ghost.

It's not wind or your rifle scope because you're consistently hitting left on your closer targets with multiple rifles on multiple days. You are shooting left because you are pushing the rear of your rifle right during recoil. You said you don't understand why it seems to correct itself past 600 yards. Research corriolis effect and spin drift effects. Many of us have told you that these 2 effects are why it is magically correcting to the right past 600 yards. Normally past 600 yards you have to start aiming to the left of the target because the bullet is flying more to the right (spinning right) and the earth is rotating under your bullet essentially moving the target to the left.

Last edited: