Why a 30-06 is like your ex-girlfriend...

I had my 30-06 to the range last week along with my 300 Weatherby. Its funny, I dialed for range out to 1000, and every time my 300 Weatherby rang the plate, my 06 rang it as well. With quite a bit less powder I might add.

A few years ago while deer hunting here in Northern California, one of the guys in our hunting party took a black bear at about 170 yards with a Remington 7600 Game Master, equipped with a 3X9 Bausch & Lomb Scope, using run of the mill 150gr Remington core-Lokt's, in 30-06. Nothing fancy nor sexy about his set up. While field dressing the bear I was amazed that the old 06 took out ribs on both entrance and exit, blew the heart in half and pretty much turned the lungs to mush. That was the moment that I realized I have always underestimated the efficiency of the 30-06.

The following spring, I bought both of my boys Remington 700 BDL's in 30-06.

..........Remington 7600 Game Master, equipped with a 3X9 Bausch & Lomb Scope, using run of the mill 150gr Remington core-Lokt's, in 30-06. Nothing fancy nor sexy about his set up. While field dressing the bear I was amazed that the old 06 took out ribs on both entrance and exit, blew the heart in half and pretty much turned the lungs to mush...................

A friend here drew a moose tag, and decided to use his dads old rifle, a Remington 742.
The rifle game with some old 220 grain round noses he loaded for the hunt. Shot the bull walking straight away, tipped it over, and found the bullet under the hide at the front of the chest. Full length penetration, and expansion, what else do you need?

My Dad hunted with a 30-06 in a 700 Mountain Rifle until the recoil became too much for him to handle in his 80's. I then got him a 25-06 for his WT hunting. He loved both of those rifles and both are sitting in my safe.
I just bought a new (to me) 30-06. Now to find a scope I know is hiding around here and start shooting it some.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.