Why 6.5 prc?

nealm66

I'm just curious, I see where a lot of guys are looking for the highest velocity possible, why not choose something more designed like the 26 nosler or 6.5-300? I got to wondering while I was sizing some for a guy and noticed the brass from hotter loads was pretty stretched and hard to resize

I don't think that people wanting to get or already have a 6.5 prc are looking for the highest possible velocity. If that were the case then no one would buy the 6.5prc, they'd get a 6.5-300 or a 26,28 Nosler. The 6.5prc is flat enough shooting to reach out and doesn't have much recoil, especially compared to the cartridges you mentioned.

Maybe it's just what catches my eye in some posts. What would you consider a decent velocity for a 156 Berger? I've seen posts suggesting 3200? WTH? I was having trouble sizing some custom brass from Texas with 156 bergers stated 3050fps from a 26" barrel. Granted it was Hornady brass but man

They might also consider the 264wm for velocity and accuracy. I'm also one that is not concerned about barrel life. I have an old 1950 Rem 722 in 257 rbts that still has plenty of life in it and with so many other rifles I dial in, I doubt that any will need rebarreling in my lifetime.