Whose had faulty scope rings?

I've never had any faulty rings & I've used some really cheap ones in the past. I'm asking because I've saw a few threads here lately with speculation of faulty rings being cause of accuracy issues. I've never ran across this sort of thing. Would like to hear if any of you actually diagnosed faulty rings as the culprit when all fasteners on the rings were tight.
Not the question you are asking but all beware of a faulty 20 moa rail....it cost me about 6000.00 to figure that one out! So I always throw a level on all bases now .....FIRST.. before mounting...( and yes...I could well have been a slow learner with deep pockets) Just to help you out here..the indication of misaligned base and probably rings...trying to make elevation adjustment... depending on direction of Cant....bullet will travel up and away from center line and down and away opposite direction....and it was from a very good manufacturer

Not the question you are asking but all beware of a faulty 20 moa rail....it cost me about 6000.00 to figure that one out! So I always throw a level on all bases now .....FIRST.. before mounting...( and yes...I could well have been a slow learner with deep pockets) Just to help you out here..the indication of misaligned base and probably rings...trying to make elevation adjustment... depending on direction of Cant....bullet will travel up and away from center line and down and away opposite direction....and it was from a very good manufacturer
So the rail itself was canted? That's a good thing you brought up. I always throw a level on a rail and compare it to the flattest surface I can find on the bottom of a rifle but I wasn't necessarily checking the rail itself. I will be taking notice now if the rail itself is good.

So the rail itself was canted? That's a good thing you brought up. I always throw a level on a rail and compare it to the flattest surface I can find on the bottom of a rifle but I wasn't necessarily checking the rail itself. I will be taking notice now if the rail itself is good.
I tried to attach two other pics..one shows the level on the surface of the table directly infront of the base in the same position showing perfect level.

Attachments

• 00002IMG_00002_BURST20180427225254_COVER.jpg
    00002IMG_00002_BURST20180427225254_COVER.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 131
I use a drop of 3M super gasket adhesive on each upper & lower ring. The 3M super gasket adhesive is similar to contact cement only much much stronger. It takes quite a bit of effort to remove rings & scope after this. The adhesive will come off with a cloth & acetone. And virtually no ring marks to speak of.

A while back we had a thread on things folks put between their scope and their rings to prevent slippage. A number of different solutions were offered in addition to bedding the scope to the rings. One of the stranger suggestions offered from an older member on a previous thread was to use cornstarch between the scope and rings. Yes, Cornstarch! The member who suggested it said it increased the coefficient of friction between the scope and rings. It seemed so strange and yet so simple that I wanted to try it. I was going to mount a temporary scope on my new rifle because I wanted to get started shooting, so I decided it would be a good opportunity to test the Cornstarch. Used $10 BSquare 1" rings with a 35 year old Burris Signature Scope. And smeared a light layer of cornstarch inside the rings. I have been testing ammo since then and had nothing irregular happen yet. But it is only a 30-06, so this is hardly much of a test. I plan to hunt with it as is this Fall because I like the Burris Electro-Dot for hunting in the woods. But later on if the groups keep improving, I may put a better scope and some truly beefy rings on it for longer range hunting.

What the member said about increasing the coefficient of friction made a lot of sense to me. And the nice thing about it is that you don't have to use an adhesive to get that increased grip. So the rings should come off easily when you want to change scopes. And the cornstarch can just be wiped off with a damp cloth.

I've had a screw break on Optilock rings, had a Redfield STD windage screw give way after several thousand rounds in a .270, had Lynx rings bow on a .458 Lott. Bought another set undersized and had them machined to fit (1" rings machined out to suit German 26mm scope tube)- no further issue. Had a claw block break on Leupold PRW rings, seems they made a bad batch, the importers had plenty of spares.

Actually, I have had a set of rings that were poorly made (Will not disclose the brand). During installation, I thought something was different than normal, and when sighting in, I discovered the scope was slipping. Since this rifle was only a 270 Win, it was very odd. The tops were completely flush with the bottoms, and no amount of tightening would remedy the problem.

Being a "never say can't" kinda' guy, I found a roll of double sided tape and lined the rings' tops and bottoms. I used those rings on that scope for a dozen or more years!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.